Coach Carousel

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

illinois played for the national championship with bruce weber

He did so with mostly Bill Self recruits. And that still counts. But Luthher Head, Dee Brown, Deron Williams and several more were all recruited by Bill Self. There was carryover the next season as well with the roster. But if you take Weber’s final 6 seasons at Illinois, he went 3 for 6 making NCAA’s, They won 1 NCAA game during those 6 seasons. They finished better than 4th in the league, once.  He had a similar experience ar Kansas St. the first couple of seasons after Frank Martin left, and then a few losing seasons. But with help from Chris Lowery recruiting, Weber has been able to get it going the past few years at Kansas St, with of course the help of a few Lowery recruited St. Louis players.  Very good coach. Needs help recruiting. 

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Yes ...with Bill Self’s players. My grandmother could have done the same.  Better yet - Jim Crews could have done the same.

So is your point that Jim Crews serves credit too?  I didn’t say a program is immediately mediocre when an elite coach leaves.  Give then 2 -4 years w their own guys

not only did weber make 7 out of 9 ncaa tourney's at illinois, he has made 14 out of the last 18 as a head coach.   that is a little different than crewsplatt's career record which you wanted to use as a comparison.   

weber was/is a good coach.

illinois has only made the ncaa tourney one time since weber left in 8 years and that was the year after he left.  i.e. his players.  

Weber got a bad rap.  That Illinois job is a tough one.  Tons of in state talent but none that can actually make it at the school.  Illinois has had just enough success with a couple final fours to expect way too much of their program.  I firmly believe Weber was pressured too much at Illinois, took flyers on 5* guys instead of guys who could play in  his system to appease the fan base and ended up losing because of it.  Illini would kill for the success he's had at K St.

I think Otzelberger has a pretty good future ahead of him, but it is kind of amazing to me that he is already moving on to the next level and Scott Nagy's name is not coming up for any of these jobs.  Nagy built that program a SDSU and has now has had a really good three year run at Wright St..  At Wright St. he has won 66 games, got a NCAA bid,  got a NIT bid and won a conference championship at a school that had only 2 post season appearances in its D1 history.  If I was an AD looking for a coach, I would take a long look at Nagy.  

2 hours ago, thetorch said:

Weber got a bad rap.  That Illinois job is a tough one.  Tons of in state talent but none that can actually make it at the school.  Illinois has had just enough success with a couple final fours to expect way too much of their program.  I firmly believe Weber was pressured too much at Illinois, took flyers on 5* guys instead of guys who could play in  his system to appease the fan base and ended up losing because of it.  Illini would kill for the success he's had at K St.

It was tough for Weber to follow an elite coach. Took a few years to show the difference. 

Illinois talent cannot make grades at Illinois?  Not buying that excuse. 

4 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

not only did weber make 7 out of 9 ncaa tourney's at illinois, he has made 14 out of the last 18 as a head coach.   that is a little different than crewsplatt's career record which you wanted to use as a comparison.   

weber was/is a good coach.

illinois has only made the ncaa tourney one time since weber left in 8 years and that was the year after he left.  i.e. his players.  

Roy.

Agree on all accounts.  Weber is a good coach.  We was quite good at SIUC and then was good at Illinois - but he not an elite coach.   Everyone wants the elite coach, they are willing to fire their good coach to get an elite coach.  They forget that things could get worse if they get rid of their good coach - and sometimes they do find that elusive elite coach - but generally speaking, most programs end up with just a different coach who is also good (if they are lucky) or who is mediocre/bad (if they are not so fortunate).

Making the Tourney 7 out of 9 years would be great for us -- and honestly great for nearly every program -- but if they just cannot beat their rival, if they just don't go far enough in Tourney, if the just don't win their Conference, make the Final Four, etc, then these good coaches are fired.

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

With Oats going to Alabama, their top assistant is now interim head coach --------------------------------------- Jimmy Whitesell!!!!

Yeah I saw that former SLU assistants out there doing stuff.  Jensen, Soderberg, Whitesell and where's that one guy what was his moniker?  Earthquake?  Tremor?

8 hours ago, slufan13 said:

Oats can coach

This seems foolish. Oats is from WI and all his recruiting is from MI.  So he takes an SEC job in the deep south?  How many Detroit kids are going to want to play basketball at 'Bama?  

16 hours ago, brianstl said:

I think Otzelberger has a pretty good future ahead of him, but it is kind of amazing to me that he is already moving on to the next level and Scott Nagy's name is not coming up for any of these jobs.  Nagy built that program a SDSU and has now has had a really good three year run at Wright St..  At Wright St. he has won 66 games, got a NCAA bid,  got a NIT bid and won a conference championship at a school that had only 2 post season appearances in its D1 history.  If I was an AD looking for a coach, I would take a long look at Nagy.  

I think Nagy is a little rough around the edges. I have heard he’s a strange dude and doesn’t interview well. Obviously the results speak for themselves though. 

Anyone else wonder why we're not hearing Porter's name mentioned for any of these openings? Of course, it's still early, but people can't be overlooking his amazing run last year. For example, he's got tons of recruiting experience in the MW which would seem to be a good fit for Arkansas.

10 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Anyone else wonder why we're not hearing Porter's name mentioned for any of these openings? Of course, it's still early, but people can't be overlooking his amazing run last year. For example, he's got tons of recruiting experience in the MW which would seem to be a good fit for Arkansas.

Too many coaches with longer track records for Moser to get a call at this point. Not even sure Loyola will be top 3 in the Valley next year.

10 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Too many coaches with longer track records for Moser to get a call at this point. Not even sure Loyola will be top 3 in the Valley next year.

They actually won the valley. I’m a little surprised Porter hasn’t gotten more looks for some of the Midwestern jobs, though there hasn’t been any one that’s felt like a perfect fit.

Porter didn't catch the wave immediately after last year, he won't now.  What have you done for me lately?  Plus I recall roy talking about how Majerus overworked him here and how his wife was somewhat upset (correct of wrong).  He's a Midwest, Chicago boy.  He needs more sustained success now and then wait and see if he gets lucky and maybe considered if bigger, Midwestern Universities come calling.  I'm thinking Marquette, DePaul, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Illinois, Creighton.  Now he did have his first HC gig at Arkansas-Little Rock so who knows .....

14 minutes ago, NH said:

They actually won the valley. I’m a little surprised Porter hasn’t gotten more looks for some of the Midwestern jobs, though there hasn’t been any one that’s felt like a perfect fit.

By default.  By the end of the year, Bradley and Drake were better teams. Dana Ford has the best collection of guards coming in at Mo State. Porter is losing his two best players.

Loyola needed to dominate this year to show last year wasn't a fluke. It didn't happen.

45 minutes ago, slu72 said:

His past record at Illinois State too. 

15 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

Roy.

Agree on all accounts.  Weber is a good coach.  We was quite good at SIUC and then was good at Illinois - but he not an elite coach.   Everyone wants the elite coach, they are willing to fire their good coach to get an elite coach.  They forget that things could get worse if they get rid of their good coach - and sometimes they do find that elusive elite coach - but generally speaking, most programs end up with just a different coach who is also good (if they are lucky) or who is mediocre/bad (if they are not so fortunate).

Making the Tourney 7 out of 9 years would be great for us -- and honestly great for nearly every program -- but if they just cannot beat their rival, if they just don't go far enough in Tourney, if the just don't win their Conference, make the Final Four, etc, then these good coaches are fired.

TF got canned because he didn't get enough wins in the Tournament.  Let's see, how many wins in the Tournament did their HC get this year???

Thank you, OSU!!!