Coach Carousel

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Mike Anderson out at Arkansas

Wow, that's somewhat shocking.  The team had 8 freshman on it and was playing okay.  I watched their NIT game and they have some nice players.

Lots of commits will become available, and lots of transfers will hit the market.

3 hours ago, courtside said:

The current athletic director at Arkansas was previously the athletic director at Houston. (Kelvin Sampson)

SEC has 4 Sweet 16 teams, and 4 job openings, (possibly 5)

Let's hope Sampson gets that job as that would be a job where I'd keep my eye on CTF. At Okie State he would be familiar with the recruiting base for Arkansas.

24 minutes ago, Schasz said:

Let's hope Sampson gets that job as that would be a job where I'd keep my eye on CTF. At Okie State he would be familiar with the recruiting base for Arkansas.

Arkansas just fired a coach who averaged 21 wins a season over 8 years and made 3 out of the last 5 NCAA tournaments. Coach Ford would have to dominate in the A10 to even get on their radar.

14 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Arkansas just fired a coach who averaged 21 wins a season over 8 years and made 3 out of the last 5 NCAA tournaments. Coach Ford would have to dominate in the A10 to even get on their radar.

This coach firing routine defies reason as far as I am concerned.

almaman likes this

32 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

This.  While it seems like an SEC job would be a natural fit for Ford, but I just don't see him being appealing to an SEC team (yet).  These SEC have GOBs of money from football, so they're going to go after big name coaches.  I'd imagine they'd have to strike out with quite a few other coaches before they get to Ford.

It will be interesting to see where these SEC cast offs like Anderson and Bryce Drew wind up.  Just like SLU getting Ford because of unreasonable expectations at Okie State, I think some mid-major type schools could get a very good coach who is "tainted" by having just been fired by a Power 5 school.

The SEC basketball coaching arms race has been on for several years.  Some of these teams, like Arkansas, are going to find out that in trying to keep up with the Joneses their fired coaches were better than what they could possibly hire.

10 hours ago, thetorch said:

The SEC basketball coaching arms race has been on for several years.  Some of these teams, like Arkansas, are going to find out that in trying to keep up with the Joneses their fired coaches were better than what they could possibly hire.

Exactly. These middle of the pack P6 programs are on a desperate quest to find Final Four coaches that don't exist. All they're building is a revolving door of mediocrity.

It's actually easier for a dominant mid-major to make a Final Four than a middle of the pack P6 program. More continuity, more experienced teams and more tournament appearances to go on a run.

If you look at the records of middle of the pack P6 programs, you'll see most of them haven't been past the Sweet 16 in 20 years. Their expectations are stuck in the past.

I  

Bills_06 and Pistol like this

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

It is kind of crazy that Arkansas hasn't reached the Sweet 16 since 1996.  They were so consistently good when I was growing up.  

Has UNLV done anything either?  Neither Rollie Massimino nor Spoon had much success out there. Just goes to show - its all about the coach.  Conference is a secondary.

N Carolina was an average to poor program after Dean Smith retired and before Roy was hired.  Kansas only stayed good as Bill Self is an elite coach.  Illinois fell to mediocrity after Self left. And Duke will be nothing after Coach K unless they make the right hire. Same w Kentucky.  And we will see about Louisville soon.

14 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Has UNLV done anything either?  Neither Rollie Massimino nor Spoon had much success out there. Just goes to show - its all about the coach.  Conference is a secondary.

N Carolina was an average to poor program after Dean Smith retired and before Roy was hired.  Kansas only stayed good as Bill Self is an elite coach.  Illinois fell to mediocrity after Self left. And Duke will be nothing after Coach K unless they make the right hire. Same w Kentucky.  And we will see about Louisville soon.

After Dean, UNC promoted Bill Guthridge, he had 2 Final 4s.

48 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

illinois played for the national championship with bruce weber

16 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

49 minutes ago, tarheelbilliken said:

After Dean, UNC promoted Bill Guthridge, he had 2 Final 4s.

Guys don't let facts get in the way. 

15 hours ago, brianstl said:

Sampson souldn’t leave Houston for Arkansas. Houston can pay him damn near as much as he would make at Arkansas.

Sampson has previously been frustrated at not getting the raise and extension he has been seeking at Houston. He likes it there. 

58 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Yes ...with Bill Self’s players. My grandmother could have done the same.  Better yet - Jim Crews could have done the same.

So is your point that Jim Crews serves credit too?  I didn’t say a program is immediately mediocre when an elite coach leaves.  Give then 2 -4 years w their own guys

Sometimes it is the conference.

Arkansas tanked because they left the SWC.  Richardson's recruiting base was Arkansas, Texas, Oklahoma, and Illinois.  Move to the SEC, now they are the westernmost school in that conference.  He lost a lot of his recruiting pipeline.  It took Arkansas 4 years out of the SWC to drop down dramatically.  The SWC was producing a lot of talented NBA players.  The SEC was a football league.  Look at the talent level in the SEC.  Save for Pitino, who frankly his teams underachieved, that conference wasn't all that talented up and down.  Arkansas' biggest rival in the SEC those days besides UK was South Carolina.  Eddie Fogler was winning multiple SEC division titles without any NBA prospects on his rosters.  Pitino's teams were almost half NBA players some years.  Once Florida played catch up and Donovan started copying Pitino it was over for Arkansas.  They can't compete with basketball factories like that, and their recruiting base was gone to the Big 12.