Are there teams that are after Ford?

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, FromDaEastSide said:

Steak n Shakes quality and standards have gone downhill in the past couple of years. Would not be surprised to see it gone in the next few years. Freddie’s and Culver’s have surpassed them by leaps and bounds. 

Eaten there least once every 2 months of since I could drive have had nearly the same thing the whole time, triple steakburger (down from triple cheese post 2002 heart attack) it was a double cheese first few years, and have had same level on consistency as I expect with M&Ms. I marvel at that every bite I have. The few times I have ventured inside it always seems a bit depressing.

billikenfan05 likes this

4 hours ago, FromDaEastSide said:

Steak n Shakes quality and standards have gone downhill in the past couple of years. Would not be surprised to see it gone in the next few years. Freddie’s and Culver’s have surpassed them by leaps and bounds. 

Steak n Shake screwed up thier business model.

A few years back they were the fast food place that took a little longer and charged a little more but gave you better quality.

Now they are cheaper than the other fast food places and the quality has seemed to drop off.

I think the angry employee is hurting them too.

Steak N Shake seems to hire older workers. At least at mine, they are all 30-50 years old and seem pisssed off to be there. I want my fast food worker to be a high school kid. A kid who is happy to be working and happy to be making minimum wage. You go to Chic-fil-a and it’s all young people. They are polite and your order is always right. 

Hopefuly the figure it out because the food is head and shoulders above other “fast food.”

5 hours ago, almaman said:

Paper said 2 are closing to join with 8 they closed this winter. Belt tightening? There's sh*tty pun in there for old time S&S devotees.

Good one, since Gus Belt is the founder of Steak and Shake.  The original one was in Normal, illinois.

10 hours ago, almaman said:

haven't been for years was always a good deal. For cheap quick steaks I still like Best Steak House, quick close to The C and cheap urban eats. Speaking of cheap and close to our home court I finally made my first trip to Diner's Delight right down Compton. Really enjoyed.

The Best Steak House owner is a bud of Box and me.  Get the gyro.

Al's is a one of a kind experience.  Rare to see fine dining establishments that haven't changed any of their decor or operations style for decades stay relevant.  I go once a year every year.  It's pricey and its not going to compare favorably to say 801 Chophouse but your going for that step back in time.

Short list for best steaks in St. Louis

Kreis, Citizen Kane's, Gamlin Whiskey House, Carmine's, Annie Gunns.  I am not a fan of Flemings or 801 Chophouse.  I never go to the chain steak houses like Ruth Chris or J Gilberts.  On a budget Tuckers, Charcoal House or Surf & Sirloin.  I've heard good things about Hamilton's in Lafayette Square but they are pricey.  Also Carnivore does brisk business but I haven't been there yet.

My understanding was Steak N' Shake is switching to a franchisee company model.  The closed stores were all corporate owned and were either in disrepair, had poor sales, or in most cases couldn't fill job opening ad staff the restaurant.  The ones that are still operating locally are independently run.  Most of the closed locations were out in the burbs.  It has been a common theme the past couple years as there is a severe shortage of food service workers in the county to either close or move closer to the city to attract more workers.  I was running stores in west county the past 5 years and it was hell hiring food service workers there.  Now that I have a store in the city again I have an overflow of available workers.

10 hours ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

Went to Stone Turtle tonight for the first time. Really good.

I was right across the street at Heavy Riff.  I've always liked their beers, but last night was the first time I had eaten there.  Surprisingly decent BBQ.  Dogtown was kind of hopping last night.

40 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

I was right across the street at Heavy Riff.  I've always liked their beers, but last night was the first time I had eaten there.  Surprisingly decent BBQ.  Dogtown was kind of hopping last night.

I’m a big fan of Heavy Riff. The beer is great. The only thing I’ve had to eat there were the BBQ Nachos and they were great.

I also love any place that has shuffle board. You don’t see it at a lot of places and they have it.

Dogtown is great. I really don’t go there as much as I should.

45 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I’m a big fan of Heavy Riff. The beer is great. The only thing I’ve had to eat there were the BBQ Nachos and they were great.

I also love any place that has shuffle board. You don’t see it at a lot of places and they have it.

Dogtown is great. I really don’t go there as much as I should.

That's funny, we made the same observation about shuffleboard.  I used to play it all the time at Caleco's/Laclede's.

31 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

That's funny, we made the same observation about shuffleboard.  I used to play it all the time at Caleco's/Laclede's.

I think it’s because bar owners believe it takes up to much space.

I use to frequent a dive called Webber’s on Macklind and Loughborough. It was great. Cheap drinks and good people watching. I think it goes by a different name now. They had free shuffle board every Tuesday. It was great Tuesday night but made for an awful Wednesday.

On 3/28/2019 at 4:38 PM, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Bingo! My brother and I were just talking about how within a 2 block stretch in Old Webster, there is a PNC Bank, a US Bank, a Bank of America, and a First Bank. And now whatever bank is going on the old Gerber site. Pretty unnecessary.

Wow, didn't hear that! Visualizing the interior of that BofA and trying to imagine what type of adaptive reuse they could implement. Sadly, I'm sure it will end up being another bank. Could be a cool spot for a restaurant in the back portion with the high ceilings. Offices in front.

yep closing in September

• 6 months later...
On 3/28/2019 at 1:28 PM, Slu let the dogs out? said:

They are moving forward with redeveloping the old auto building, it just won't include a rooftop bar anymore. Should close on financing by end of April with construction to follow soon after.

Looks like they are starting the construction soon, I got an email stating Lockwood would be closed due to construction on the old auto building.  Excited to see how this turns out.  

12 minutes ago, Westy03 said:

Looks like they are starting the construction soon, I got an email stating Lockwood would be closed due to construction on the old auto building.  Excited to see how this turns out.  

Great news. They've been doing site work for a few months but sounds like we'll start to see some real progress now.