Are there teams that are after Ford?

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

54 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Midwestern is TRAAAASH B

Are you saying Midwestern Barbeque is trash?  I think KC is good but I'll agree on STL.  I went to Pappy's and it's not my thing.   I usually don't get barbeque or Mexican food when I have to cross the Red River.

I do however like to indulge in the Italian when in STL.  What's the best spots?  Out of nostalgia I hit Vito's.  I'm also known to frequent Anthonino's as he's a friend of a friend. 

Just now, Box and Won said:

No, they're talking about a new  BBQ restaurant by Busch Stadium, and its name is The Midwestern.

Oh ok yeah barbeque at airports and stadiums is always trash.  If you don't see a smoker keep going. 

52 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

You ever see LittleBill? I trust his food takes.

Problematic

1 hour ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Bad take

Maybe I'm just not a big STL bbq guy. I like KC's like ABomb said so maybe that's it.

Midwestern does have a giant smoker behind the building

14 hours ago, thetorch said:

Sugarfire expanded too much.  When they first opened just on Olive it was the best BBQ I ever had.  As they opened up more locations all of them suffered in quality.

This was my suspicion after trying it for the first time recently, and not back when they opened. It'll still be better than 80% or more of the barbecue in Cincinnati, though.

I work across the street from the Sugarfire on Olive it is too crowded and people take seats before getting their food so it is hard to find a seat.  Also there was a time some younger people were doing bead type of art work that took up part of a table and 4 seats at noon.  I just cannot go in there anymore because you may not get a seat.

Pappy’s is the best and now that they expanded the dining room the line moves quicker.

14 hours ago, thetorch said:

I'm excited for the Beastcraft in the grove but the Midwestern is open downtown and it is better.  Same BBQ that was serves at Big Baby Q's smokehouse in maryland heights the past couple years.  Their team currently has the title of best BBQ in st. louis.

Sugarfire expanded too much.  When they first opened just on Olive it was the best BBQ I ever had.  As they opened up more locations all of them suffered in quality.

I second the Adam's Smokehouse review.  Top notch, and easy carryout.

They went with a business plan that was a complete 180 from what Pappy's was doing. It makes money but as you said quality is hard to replicate.

26 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

They went with a business plan that was a complete 180 from what Pappy's was doing. It makes money but as you said quality is hard to replicate.

The only thing I ever thought was outstanding at Sugarfire were the sides.  The brisket has always been good, but never something to go out of your way for.

22 minutes ago, brianstl said:

The only thing I ever thought was outstanding at Sugarfire were the sides.  The brisket has always been good, but never something to go out of your way for.

They have some good/creative specials too.  I work by the downtown location, and it's usually the specials that get me in the door.

Out of their everyday menu, the turkey is usually quite good, IMO.

52 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I think that is where I am at. A few years back I stopped by on the way to the airport and had about the best brisket I have ever had (and I lived in Texas *insert eye roll*), been back a handful of times since and have never had that same experience and I’m at the point where I have kind of just moved on. I am a huge fan of Hi-Pointe though.

I threw a surprise brunch party for my wife's birthday at Boathouse last week (Sugarfire peeps) and the brunch food was outstanding. Bacon, sausage, waffles, quiche lorraine, eggs benny (2 different ones: chorizo and gauc & salmon), breakfast potatoes. I'm not usually a waffle guy but their waffles were particularly tasty.  I was pretty amazed at how good it all was. I know I said this earlier but all of their non-BBQ food is really good. I guess I can add breakfast to that list.

By the way, if anyone is looking for a place to throw a party, check out the Boathouse annex. The set up is awesome. They've got garage doors that open up out onto the lake, separate from the main dining area. THey've got a tv inside and on the patio by the lake in case there are games on. Decent space inside with bathrooms.

From the sides at our table, I thought Sugarfire's sides were pretty average. The jalapeno-sausage grits were really bland. The fries were good, as were the beans and cornbread. Mac and cheese was average at best. The pies looked good but we didn't get any dessert.

It seemed like sandwiches are the thing to get (along with turkey and burnt ends). They seem to have some creativity with them and they look really good.

My parents love the Boathouse. We tried to go to Hi-Pointe once but it was too crowded.

1 hour ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I threw a surprise brunch party for my wife's birthday at Boathouse last week (Sugarfire peeps) and the brunch food was outstanding. Bacon, sausage, waffles, quiche lorraine, eggs benny (2 different ones: chorizo and gauc & salmon), breakfast potatoes. I'm not usually a waffle guy but their waffles were particularly tasty.  I was pretty amazed at how good it all was. I know I said this earlier but all of their non-BBQ food is really good. I guess I can add breakfast to that list.

By the way, if anyone is looking for a place to throw a party, check out the Boathouse annex. The set up is awesome. They've got garage doors that open up out onto the lake, separate from the main dining area. THey've got a tv inside and on the patio by the lake in case there are games on. Decent space inside with bathrooms.

My wife and I love going to the boat house for dinner great atmosphere plus I feed the fish some of my food while dining.

Since we are talking food, I will throw out a question that I don't have a passionate take on, but am interested in responses. Favorite place for steak in St. Louis and that can include the chains? I enjoy Kreis' (always have a good meal and it is next to the school I spent so much time developing my skills as an artist focused on penis drawings), but don't go to the steak specific places overly often. Had a really good meal at Capital Grille, but for the cost I am not sure it was worth it. Citizen Kane's is a cool setting (haven't been in years though) and I am a regular at the Smokehouse Market and enjoy Annie Gunn's when I eat there.