Are there teams that are after Ford?

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

42 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Peppe's...upscale restaurant with great food and service...Can be a special occasion place....A+

I don't post much, but I 1000% agree, Peppe's is fantastic. Tiny place though. Only like 6 tables.

Someone mentioned it before, but Bar les Freres is top notch too. Delicious lobster bisque and gruyere souffle, among others. 

1 hour ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Not a fish fry but I used to go to Miss Sheri's Cafe in Warson Woods for a fish sammy during lent but sadly they closed down.

Ah, my neighborhood.

If you're ever in the area, J. Greene's does all-you-can-eat fish and chips during Lent.  I'm not much of a fish guy, but it looks good even to me.  Their food is good overall, and it's a good place to watch the Bills as well.

22 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

Ah, my neighborhood.

If you're ever in the area, J. Greene's does all-you-can-eat fish and chips during Lent.  I'm not much of a fish guy, but it looks good even to me.  Their food is good overall, and it's a good place to watch the Bills as well.

So J. Greene's is decent? That particular spot has always been a running joke for me because it has been about 2,000 different establishments over my lifetime, including a Krieger's. That area of Manchester in Warson Woods in general is odd. The spot across the street from it has been so many different eating establishments in the past as well: Boston Market, Super Smoker's, another BBQ place I believe, pretty sure an Einstein's, and Psghetti's which recently closed.

7 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

So J. Greene's is decent? That particular spot has always been a running joke for me because it has been about 2,000 different establishments over my lifetime, including a Krieger's. That area of Manchester in Warson Woods in general is odd. The spot across the street from it has been so many different eating establishments in the past as well: Boston Market, Super Smoker's, another BBQ place I believe, pretty sure an Einstein's, and Psghetti's which recently closed.

Yeah, J. Greene's is my go-to.  In part because it's good, but also because I can walk there.  They smoke their own meats and make everything in-house, so it's a click above your typical bar food.  The owners/employees are really nice too.  I eat there probably once a week.

It looks like Psghetti's is being converted into an urgent care or something lame like that.  I think its days as a restaurant are over.

2 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

Yeah, J. Greene's is my go-to.  In part because it's good, but also because I can walk there.  They smoke their own meats and make everything in-house, so it's a click above your typical bar food.  The owners/employees are really nice too.  I eat there probably once a week.

That is good to know I will have to check it out soon. How's the set up for watching sports?The inside of the place depressed the heck out of me when it was that Bear Lodge Grill or whatever it was before J. Greene's. The fact that it has lasted this long must mean they're doing something right!

This brings up a new topic: SPORTS BARS. I used to think St. Louis had decent sports bars and then I visited every other city in the United States. We are severely lacking in quality sports bars in this town. Particularly rooftop sport bars/bars. HEck, even Minneapolis, a frozen wasteland for half the year, has more rooftop sports bars than us!

4 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

It looks like Psghetti's is being converted into an urgent care or something lame like that.  I think its days as a restaurant are over.

Just what St. Louis needs...another urgent care!

I assume your go-to for Chinese is King Doh? I've got mixed feelings about that place...

5 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

That is good to know I will have to check it out soon. How's the set up for watching sports?The inside of the place depressed the heck out of me when it was that Bear Lodge Grill or whatever it was before J. Greene's. The fact that it has lasted this long must mean they're doing something right!

This brings up a new topic: SPORTS BARS. I used to think St. Louis had decent sports bars and then I visited every other city in the United States. We are severely lacking in quality sports bars in this town. Particularly rooftop sport bars/bars. HEck, even Minneapolis, a frozen wasteland for half the year, has more rooftop sports bars than us!

I assume your go-to for Chinese is King Doh? I've got mixed feelings about that place...

It's definitely good for sports.  Lots of TVs, including several fairly large ones throughout.  They always put the Bills on for us.  They usually don't have sound though, except for really big games.  Westy and I have been known to yell during the games and no one seems to mind.

Big Bear suuuuucked.  That place was depressing both in terms of the interior and the clientele.  They've freshened it up and it's now a (slightly) brighter, friendlier place.  They have an outdoor space too, and I don't recall Big Bear ever using that.  

14 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

It's definitely good for sports.  Lots of TVs, including several fairly large ones throughout.  They always put the Bills on for us.  They usually don't have sound though, except for really big games.  Westy and I have been known to yell during the games and no one seems to mind.

Big Bear suuuuucked.  That place was depressing both in terms of the interior and the clientele.  They've freshened it up and it's now a (slightly) brighter, friendlier place.  They have an outdoor space too, and I don't recall Big Bear ever using that.  

Very good to know. I've been looking for a new go-to sports bar close to home to spice things up. Usually it's OBs or Twin Peaks. Haven't been to the Post in a while because it's just so small.

27 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Personally Does St. Louis have more than one rooftop bar? I do know that Soulard is severely lacking of a sports bar. 

3 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Personally Does St. Louis have more than one rooftop bar? I do know that Soulard is severely lacking of a sports bar. 

There's 360 and the Moonrise.  I believe the new hotel on Grand by the Fox has one.  And this place just opened downtown: https://www.riverfronttimes.com/foodblog/2019/03/04/form-skybar-is-now-open-in-downtown-st-louis

3 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

There's 360 and the Moonrise.  I believe the new hotel on Grand by the Fox has one.  And this place just opened downtown: https://www.riverfronttimes.com/foodblog/2019/03/04/form-skybar-is-now-open-in-downtown-st-louis

Forgot about Moonrise. I keep thinking what a rooftop bar would be like in Humphreys old space 

4 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

Like Box said, a few more have opened recently but of those 4, I'd only consider 360 a rooftop sports bar. That's why I was pretty bummed when Webster made the Olive + Oak guys scrap their rooftop bar in Webster down the street from O+O. Was really  looking forward to a rooftop bar with tvs just a minute from my house.

2 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

St. Mary Magdalen is a great option because of the drive through. I'm still not sure how there hasn't been a major accident at Brentwood and Manchester because of the line.

Not a fish fry but I used to go to Miss Sheri's Cafe in Warson Woods for a fish sammy during lent but sadly they closed down.

South County Miss Sheri's still proudly serving what's left of the greatest generation.

Sugarfire is opening its 12th location in Northern Kentucky, about a half hour south of me (I live in Cincinnati). I went for the first time recently and thought it was good but not great. The Cuban Rueben wasn't available the day I went. I thought the brisket was good, a little dry but I really liked the bark. The sausage was fine. Plenty of sauces and I liked a few of them. What's the thing to order here?

billiken_roy likes this

46 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Not a sports bar, but The Frisco Barroom in Webster has a pretty nice rooftop bar.

17 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Sugarfire is opening its 12th location in Northern Kentucky, about a half hour south of me (I live in Cincinnati). I went for the first time recently and thought it was good but not great. The Cuban Rueben wasn't available the day I went. I thought the brisket was good, a little dry but I really liked the bark. The sausage was fine. Plenty of sauces and I liked a few of them. What's the thing to order here?

The cheeseburger.

I don't think Sugarfire BBQ is anything special but they their non-BBQ food (particularly at Boathouse and Hi Pointe) is really good.

45 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Like Box said, a few more have opened recently but of those 4, I'd only consider 360 a rooftop sports bar. That's why I was pretty bummed when Webster made the Olive + Oak guys scrap their rooftop bar in Webster down the street from O+O. Was really  looking forward to a rooftop bar with tvs just a minute from my house.

Is that dead? I thought just put on hold

2 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Is that dead? I thought just put on hold

They are moving forward with redeveloping the old auto building, it just won't include a rooftop bar anymore. Should close on financing by end of April with construction to follow soon after.

33 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Burnt ends and their desserts

Pistol likes this

9 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

They are moving forward with redeveloping the old auto building, it just won't include a rooftop bar anymore. Should close on financing by end of April with construction to follow soon after.

I was wondering what was taking so long on that.  Are they putting a microbrewery there or was that an old idea/concept?

7 minutes ago, Westy03 said:

I was wondering what was taking so long on that.  Are they putting a microbrewery there or was that an old idea/concept?

it was perennial, right?

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

-their turkey is normally very good, nicely moist and good flavor although when it is not good, I would say 10% of the time, it is dry -- they also have great pickles -- their food is normally right on imo

-Adam's Smokehouse on Watson is very good and their salami is great, but realize that doesn't help you in Cincy

1 minute ago, Cowboy said:

-Adam's Smokehouse on Watson is very good and their salami is great, but realize that doesn't help you in Cincy

Adam's Smokehouse is 3 blocks from my parents' house and is named after a family friend who worked at Pappy's and died at the age of 25 several years ago. I recommend it to everyone who'll listen, and you're absolutely right about the salami.

I'll be sure to get the turkey or a burger or burnt ends when I hit up the NKY Sugarfire. Thanks for the advice.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

I get same thing when I go the brisket sandwich with onion rings? I think. My bbq luv has turned monogamous as I only go to the Beast Craft 32 miles away. Addicted. Life long bbq nut. Used to have to go to north city even to find any on regular  basis save for Phils the Hodacks of Lou Q. a few chains came and went over the years, Tennessee Jeds a few light years ago, Springfield outfit Trotters which had location where the sorely missed Sweet Tomatoes in Crestwood was. Trotters seemed like it was working but folded up. I never go to Bandandas if thats right spelling/name but found it adequate and glad that it at least survives so if one needs decent BBQ anytime anywhere. Then along came Super Smokers and we became a mecca for the stuff and we all know what's happened since then. I think the Beast Craft a cut above them all even state fave A Bryants. Can't wait for the ever promised Grove location opens.