2019-20 Non-conference schedule

ACE

4 hours ago, slu72 said:

Lest we forget Big Jimmy Ring My Bell. If Travis' spin on him is for real and he continues his commitment to weight reduction, he could be a beast in the A10. I think his biggest problem this year will be conditioning, i.e. the pace of D1 ball will limit his minutes. 

Let him get as conditioned as he/we can, he can assume the beast role the next season. Amen to that.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, slu72 said:

Man, you gotta stop with the negative vibes. Yurimania is gonna give you thrills and chills for the next 4 years. Snake oil?  My dying butt. This kid is the real deal. Big scorer, probably not. Great distributor of the ball, bank on it. Old Time PG as Travis said. I can't wait to see him play. 

You’re causing the negativity 

8 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I don't if I would go so far as to say that, but I do think he's setting the expectations for Collins so high that he's likely to stumble over them at first.  Let's give Yuri a chance to grow into "Yurimania"!

cgeldmacher likes this

48 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Because I like a player is suddenly a negative? Get a grip. And From what I hear about your game time antics it's no wonder everyone runs for cover when they see you approaching. I guess you'd call that being positive. Have a Zima and chill. 

56 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I don't if I would go so far as to say that, but I do think he's setting the expectations for Collins so high that he's likely to stumble over them at first.  Let's give Yuri a chance to grow into "Yurimania"!

I'll admit some of it's tongue and cheek, but I do think this kid is gonna be a good one. I'll eat the crow if I'm wrong, but I'm not the first poster to back a FR with high expectations. In fact, this is the only time I've ever done it. 

54 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Because I like a player is suddenly a negative? Get a grip. And From what I hear about your game time antics it's no wonder everyone runs for cover when they see you approaching. I guess you'd call that being positive. Have a Zima and chill. 

I’m not wrong, I promise you that

As a fellow MBM who has been a Yuri fan since the young man's sophomore year in high school I totally understand slu72's  enthusiasm. We haven't had a dominant passer since Waldman. We haven't averaged over 70 ppg in almost 20 years.

I believe we will see flashes of Yurimania this season. But being a dominant passer at Yuri's size without a reliable jumper is really tough. It may be next season before Yurimania is commonplace.

11 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

As a fellow MBM who has been a Yuri fan since the young man's sophomore year in high school I totally understand slu72's  enthusiasm. We haven't had a dominant passer since Waldman. We haven't averaged over 70 ppg in almost 20 years.

I believe we will see flashes of Yurimania this season. But being a dominant passer at Yuri's size without a reliable jumper is really tough. It may be next season before Yurimania is commonplace.

I never said he'd be a scorer, just that an A is as good as a 2 or 3 pointer in my book. I saw a lot of Ford in person when he was at UK, and thought man, there's a PG. Ford is partly why I got so excited about Yuri. If he can pass on his skills to Yuri, we're solid at PG for 4 years. If he develops a perimeter shot watch out but that will likely have to wait. 

Is he gonna struggle? Of course, but he's got the right mindset. I'm still all in on Yurimania. 

drkelsey55 likes this

17 hours ago, slu72 said:

I never said he'd be a scorer, just that an A is as good as a 2 or 3 pointer in my book. I saw a lot of Ford in person when he was at UK, and thought man, there's a PG. Ford is partly why I got so excited about Yuri. If he can pass on his skills to Yuri, we're solid at PG for 4 years. If he develops a perimeter shot watch out but that will likely have to wait. 

Is he gonna struggle? Of course, but he's got the right mindset. I'm still all in on Yurimania. 

Travis Ford shot over 42% from 3pt land and over 88% from the FT line at Kentucky.  If Yuri can do that, he'll probably go down as one of the greatest Billikens of all time.  However, he's never been billed as an excellent shooter and I believe his HS stats reflect that as well.  You always hear about how great of a passer he is.  Yuri can be very valuable as a pass first PG as long as he is surrounded by guys who can fill it up and a few who can space the floor.

33 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Travis Ford shot over 42% from 3pt land and over 88% from the FT line at Kentucky.  If Yuri can do that, he'll probably go down as one of the greatest Billikens of all time.  However, he's never been billed as an excellent shooter and I believe his HS stats reflect that as well.  You always hear about how great of a passer he is.  Yuri can be very valuable as a pass first PG as long as he is surrounded by guys who can fill it up and a few who can space the floor.

I'll take pass first, but also figure after more extensive coaching from the staff his shot should show improvement over time. It's just a matter of how much. Do I expect 42%? Noooo way. Hell, I'm not even sure Jimerson's will ever get to 42%. That's just a crazy number by anyone's standard. 

On 10/19/2019 at 2:01 PM, bauman said:

Nice job scheduling by SLU.  Three top 25 teams (in the top 144 website).  S Hall just came in at #19 to go along with Auburn at #24.  Add VCU (#22) and Davidson (#42) and we have a pretty decent schedule.

In the first AP poll, Seton Hall is 12th, Auburn is 24th, VCU 25th, Davidson 31st (got 34 votes), and Dayton picked up a vote.

I think that Yuri having early success will have more to do with his ability to beat his man and get into the lane than it will have to do with his shooting.  I understand what guys are saying.  He has to prove that he can shoot or defenders will play off of him and take away the pass.  However, if he can break his man down, start heading toward the basket, and draw a defender away from someone else, that's when he will shine.  I am confident that he will find the open man in that situation and feed him the ball.

slu72 likes this

14 hours ago, bills10 said:

Useful link for the schedule to put it in your iPhone calendar if you don’t have the games and times already added

http://www.slubillikens.com/export/icalendar.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=27200&db_oem_id=27200&season=2019&sport_id=93215

It is really nice, I live and die by my calendar. 

One annoying thing for google users to look out for though, the default color for the calendar events when you first set them up is like a violet-purple, no doubt an oversight by our athletic department. You can amend the colors to be a more accurate Billiken Blue - it just feels right this way. 

The RGB color code for our official SLU Blue is 0, 61, 165. 

5 minutes ago, prebilliken said:

It is really nice, I live and die by my calendar. 

One annoying thing for google users to look out for though, the default color for the calendar events when you first set them up is like a violet-purple, no doubt an oversight by our athletic department. You can amend the colors to be a more accurate Billiken Blue - it just feels right this way. 

The RGB color code for our official SLU Blue is 0, 61, 165. 

well those of us tech challenged might need a little translation help here?

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

Of course: @bills10 posted a link that allows you to download SLU's basketball schedule (or any other sport for that matter) so that all the events automatically show up in your desired digital calendar of choice, whether that is ical, google calendar, or your outlook calendar, the link to download these schedules and instructions on how to download them are located here.

This way you don't have to create events in your calendar for Bills games, or constantly check online when SLU plays, or memorize the damn schedule, SLU's entire schedule is just automatically created in your calendar for you. 

Concerning the color: When using google calendar, which is my digital calendar of choice, each event has a designated color banner that is used to add a little pop on each day's calendar slot, for some reason, when I dowloaded SLU's basketball calendar, the default colors was like a TCU-Purple, which was just annoying considering SLU's perfect shade of blue. So, in order to change the color for an event in google, you click on the event series in the calendar's side bar, a list of colors will pop up, none of them are quite SLU blue, so you click the little plus sign for custom color. Once you do this it will allow you to enter SLU's RGB (Red, Green, Blue) code to get an exact SLU Blue, SLU Blue's RGB code is Red: 0, Blue: 61, Green 165. And there you have it, now your banners are SLU Blue for all Billiken athletic events. 

I don't use iCal so I have no idea how do it there. I don't believe Outlook allows you to do customer colorization. Its really nothing tech savy, its just me being OCD. 

billiken_roy likes this

I am not sure why everyone thinks that Jimmy Bell needs to be "conditioned" so that he will contribute next year. He looks pretty good to me right now and as a drinker of blue kool aid  i dont want to wait until next year. I think we are going to very impressed we when we see him on the court.

26 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

I am not sure why everyone thinks that Jimmy Bell needs to be "conditioned" so that he will contribute next year. He looks pretty good to me right now and as a drinker of blue kool aid  i dont want to wait until next year. I think we are going to very impressed we when we see him on the court.

I don't believe people are saying he'll sit until next year after he's dropped a few more pounds. We're saying he'll get minutes this year, but they'll probably come in 5 minute stretches until he gets accustomed to the D1 game. Gordon often didn't get much more than 5-7 minutes at a time and then would sit again. You could see he was gassed at times, and he appeared to be at the ideal weight for a 6'8" guy. 

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

I don't believe people are saying he'll sit until next year after he's dropped a few more pounds. We're saying he'll get minutes this year, but they'll probably come in 5 minute stretches until he gets accustomed to the D1 game. Gordon often didn't get much more than 5-7 minutes at a time and then would sit again. You could see he was gassed at times, and he appeared to be at the ideal weight for a 6'8" guy. 

we will know soon, Gordon didnt have the work ethic that bell has

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

RGB code for Billiken Blue is 0 (Red), 61 (Green), 165 (Blue). RGB is Red, Green, Blue, the number refers to the strength of each primary color. Let's say you want to set a color of a line. First select the font or line or whatever it is you want to change, then open down the color change menu by clicking on it, then select "more colors", then select custom, and there you have the places where you input the values for RGB. Make sure the color model you are using is RGB, not HSL. Click OK and you are set. This is the way it works with Windows 10, I have no idea of what the Apple or Android OSs use to set this.

On 10/21/2019 at 12:37 PM, Pistol said:

In the first AP poll, Seton Hall is 12th, Auburn is 24th, VCU 25th, Davidson 31st (got 34 votes), and Dayton picked up a vote.

In the A 10 Talk site, there is a link to the annual CBS Sports' guys ranking of all 353 D 1 teams.  As with the Top 144 site, we are not thought too highly of !  We are # 177 and projected to lose to E. Wash; Belmont; BC; K-St; Aub; and SH just in our NC games.  Of interest, Davidson is 18, VCU 22, and Dayton 37.  We are 9th in the A 10.

We gonna s'prise sum people 😉  I think!