2019-20 Non-conference schedule

ACE

General thoughts:

-Selfishly, I like late games because I have a 3-year-old and a newborn. The later the game, the better the chances both will be asleep. Not many good times for me so far, but I like the 9:00 tip vs. VCU.
-Once again, the Dayton road game is on a Saturday. This is usually an early game but has often been on an ESPN network, so I'm curious what CBS will do with it. Probably afternoon.
-Once again, Duquesne is on a weeknight, which is infuriating to me. I think every year I've lived in Ohio, this game has been on a weeknight. Duquesne is about 4 hours from me and I still have yet to make it up there.
-I can't believe both St. Joe's games got picked up by national networks. They're going to be brutally bad this year.
-SJU twice, La Salle twice, UMass twice - lots of win potential there. Duquesne and Dayton are the other home-and-home opponents and those will be tougher.
-Plus, we only get VCU, Davidson, and Rhode Island once each. So it's an easier conference slate than a lot of other A10 teams will get, but our SOS will be weaker in conference.
-Duquesne on the road is a tough opening game, then we have two winnable ones at home, then we go to Richmond. They'll be decent and we haven't played well there historically. We started 5-0 in conference last year but that was also our easiest stretch of games. This one is a lot more evened out overall.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Pistol said:

They mean 11 in-conference games on a national network - NBCSN, CBSSN, ESPNU/ESPN2, and Stadium. Basically everything with a network in the "TV" column in the link above.

The rest are on ESPN+ and generally picked up by FSMW.

One of the eleven is the Seton Hall game.  The Boston college game will probably be on the ACC Network and the Auburn game will be on the SEC Network.  That will give you 13 national TV games.

Pistol likes this

1 minute ago, brianstl said:

Why release a team specific schedule for a school in the central time zone with eastern game times?

It was released by the conference. SLU is the only non-Eastern time team.

45 minutes ago, Pistol said:

General thoughts:
-SJU twice, La Salle twice, UMass twice - lots of win potential there. Duquesne and Dayton are the other home-and-home opponents and those will be tougher.
-Plus, we only get VCU, Davidson, and Rhode Island once each. So it's an easier conference slate than a lot of other A10 teams will get, but our SOS will be weaker in conference.
-Duquesne on the road is a tough opening game, then we have two winnable ones at home, then we go to Richmond. They'll be decent and we haven't played well there historically. We started 5-0 in conference last year but that was also our easiest stretch of games. This one is a lot more evened out overall.

Not going to VCU takes away a probabe Q1 game.  We need all of those we can get.  Right now I am hoping the away games at Davidson and Dayton will be Q1's and the home game v Dayton also Q1. Going to Rhody might sneak into Q2.  To me it looks like maybe 5 Q1 or Q2 games, and 13 Q3/Q4 games. 

4 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Not going to VCU takes away a probabe Q1 game.  We need all of those we can get.  Right now I am hoping the away games at Davidson and Dayton will be Q1's and the home game v Dayton also Q1. Going to Rhody might sneak into Q2.  To me it looks like maybe 5 Q1 or Q2 games, and 13 Q3/Q4 games. 

Win the conference tournament again and the Q's won't matter. 😁

Per Stu, we still have one OOC game not announced???

St. Louis University will open the basketball season with six home games and has a nonconference schedule highlighted by meetings with Seton Hall at Chaifetz Arena, Auburn in Birmingham, Ala., and Kansas State in Kansas City.

The Billikens play only one true road game at Boston College before opening Atlantic 10 play at Duquesne. They have three games that will qualify as neutral site although the game against Auburn, which reached the Final Four last season, will be played a two-hour drive north of the Tigers’ campus.

SLU’s season opener is Nov. 5 against Florida Gulf Coast at Chaifetz. Other nonconference home opponents include Valparaiso, Eastern Washington, Seton Hall, High Point, Belmont, Southern Illinois-Carbondale and Bethune Cookman. There is also one opponent that is still to be determined.

19 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Per Stu, we still have one OOC game not announced???

St. Louis University will open the basketball season with six home games and has a nonconference schedule highlighted by meetings with Seton Hall at Chaifetz Arena, Auburn in Birmingham, Ala., and Kansas State in Kansas City.

The Billikens play only one true road game at Boston College before opening Atlantic 10 play at Duquesne. They have three games that will qualify as neutral site although the game against Auburn, which reached the Final Four last season, will be played a two-hour drive north of the Tigers’ campus.

SLU’s season opener is Nov. 5 against Florida Gulf Coast at Chaifetz. Other nonconference home opponents include Valparaiso, Eastern Washington, Seton Hall, High Point, Belmont, Southern Illinois-Carbondale and Bethune Cookman. There is also one opponent that is still to be determined.

It would have to be another road game, right?

22 hours ago, Pistol said:

General thoughts:

-Selfishly, I like late games because I have a 3-year-old and a newborn. The later the game, the better the chances both will be asleep. Not many good times for me so far, but I like the 9:00 tip vs. VCU.
-Once again, the Dayton road game is on a Saturday. This is usually an early game but has often been on an ESPN network, so I'm curious what CBS will do with it. Probably afternoon.
-Once again, Duquesne is on a weeknight, which is infuriating to me. I think every year I've lived in Ohio, this game has been on a weeknight. Duquesne is about 4 hours from me and I still have yet to make it up there.
-I can't believe both St. Joe's games got picked up by national networks. They're going to be brutally bad this year.

Totally agree about the Duquesne games.  I've been wanting to bring my group to Pittsburgh for our trip for a while.  Every year the damn Duquesne game is on a weeknight.

On 9/5/2019 at 2:19 PM, cgeldmacher said:

Totally agree about the Duquesne games.  I've been wanting to bring my group to Pittsburgh for our trip for a while.  Every year the damn Duquesne game is on a weeknight.

It might not be the best year to do a Pitt trip anyways, since they’ll be playing that game out by the airport at Robert Morris University. Duquesne is splitting games between RMU and the PPG Paints Center (where the Penguins play) while the UPMC Cooper Center (formerly Palumbo Center) is being renovated. 

1 hour ago, Compton said:

It might not be the best year to do a Pitt trip anyways, since they’ll be playing that game out by the airport at Robert Morris University. Duquesne is splitting games between RMU and the PPG Paints Center (where the Penguins play) while the UPMC Cooper Center (formerly Palumbo Center) is being renovated. 

-are they keeping the duct work?

1 minute ago, wgstl said:

this looks tiny. looks like maybe 4k tops. 

They're saying it should be about the same as current capacity at the Palumbo Center, which is about 4,400. It looks a little bigger from other angles, but yeah, it looks smaller than what they're saying. I'll be interested to see the final product. Also, I love that the scoreboard image has Mike Lewis on it.

Image result for upmc cooper fieldhouse

Image result for upmc cooper fieldhouse

Image result for palumbo center