2019-20 Non-conference schedule

ACE

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/10/2019 at 2:14 PM, bauman said:

Looking back at last year, we had 8 non-conf home games; 9 conf home games and 2 exhib for a total of 19 gates.  I assume that this is the number that they shoot for each year.  I seem to recall that tournaments, like our game with BC and Tulane this year and Pitt and Fla St last year have some impact on number of games a team can schedule.  Fla St was a one time game so it might not have had an impact on games we could play, kind of like Auburn this year. One thing that might impact our number of home gates is the K-ST game in KC.  I don't think we had anything comparable last year.

Confused?  I know I am.  Let's hope we can get this announced soon

-it will be within the next five weeks, is that soon enough?

-looking at KenPom, this past season FGCU finished ranked #213, were 14-18 overall, had 3 seniors in the rotation and one other senior that played in only 10 games,  with the seniors and transfers they have 4 players from 2018-19 roster remaining for this season, their coach is Michael Fly, they had a player go 10-23 at line for 43.5% and another 7-26 for 26.9% but one of the seniors was 71-148 from 3 which was 8th best in NCAA and as a team were 56th in 3pt% at 36.9%

-they had a soph, Troy Baxter, declare for the draft, did not get drafted and is a transfer currently without a school

-in 2013, in their first NCAA tourney,  they were a #15 seed and beat Georgetown and #7 San Diego State and their coached bolted for USC, that will be 7 tourneys ago come March

Pistol likes this

21 minutes ago, slu72 said:

That tourney appearance put them on the national hoops map, but they never capitalized on it. I recall an article about their campus. Looked like a pretty nice place to spend 4 years. 

They have made the postseason five straight seasons after that. 2 NCAA appearances, 2 NIT appearances and 1 CIT.

48 minutes ago, brianstl said:

They have made the postseason five straight seasons after that. 2 NCAA appearances, 2 NIT appearances and 1 CIT.

My bad. Shooting from the hip never works these days. Anyways, I like this game a lot better than some of the lower mids we played last year. Although, just about all of those lower mids gave us fits.

This game is awesome, I don't care if they aren't "The" Dunk City team, they are still dunk city. Its a far better opening opponent from a name standpoint than we have had in year's past. It should do a good job of filling The 'Fetz.

I'm pumped, Ford and Co. are clearly working at the schedule. 

CBFan likes this

35 minutes ago, prebilliken said:

This game is awesome, I don't care if they aren't "The" Dunk City team, they are still dunk city. Its a far better opening opponent from a name standpoint than we have had in year's past. It should do a good job of filling The 'Fetz.

I'm pumped, Ford and Co. are clearly working at the schedule. 

Should be an exciting game. FGCU is bringing in a bunch of high fliers and they're just as inexperienced as we are.

prebilliken likes this

Valpo added to schedule per Stu:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I’m told that SLU has solidified a nonconference home basketball game against Valparaiso.</p>&mdash; stu durando (@studurando) <a href="https://twitter.com/studurando/status/1161675741882388482?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 14, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Updated non-conference schedule: 

Florida Gulf Coast - 11/5

Valpo - (possibly between Christmas and New Years?)

Eastern Washington - 11/13

Seton Hall - 11/17

High Point - 11/20

Belmont - 11/23

Boston College - 11/27

SIUC - 12/1

Tulane - 12/8

Auburn - 12/14

K State - 12/21

Elvi68 likes this

1 hour ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I’m told that SLU has solidified a nonconference home basketball game against Valparaiso.

— stu durando (@studurando) August 14, 2019

Seton Hall - 11/17

High Point - 11/20

Belmont - 11/23

Boston College - 11/27

SIUC - 12/1

Tulane - 12/8

Auburn - 12/14

K State - 12/21

This is the best non-conference schedule I can remember in a long time. Just need to win some of them. 

Last season we played 13 non-conference games and we're at 11 currently.

We need to get to 18 home games for season ticket holders; we'll get 9 from the conference and I'm counting 7 above (FGCU, Valpo, EWU, SHU, HPU, Belmont, SIUC).

I'm guessing we won't see two more regular season games, so maybe one more buy game and one exhibition game.

Top to bottom, this is an excellent schedule. We don't have any bottom-fifth NET-killing dregs in there, and even if we end up with one, that's not going to move the needle too much. We've got a team coming off a Final Four, another recent Final Four squad, a team that could compete for a Big East title, an ACC team, a perennial small conference pest, a Valley rival, a rare buy game opponent with a brand name, and a couple teams that will compete for their conference's lone Tournament spot.

I would argue that a team at SLU's level (A10, American, Mountain West) has the hardest scheduling job in college basketball for a number of reasons (necessity of 18 home games, refusal of power-conference teams to play home-and-home series, difficulty of not being a neutral site draw, etc.). Major respect to Ford and his staff for getting this together. This is no small feat.

TheDude, rgbilliken and Zink like this

7 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I would argue that a team at SLU's level (A10, American, Mountain West) has the hardest scheduling job in college basketball for a number of reasons (necessity of 18 home games, refusal of power-conference teams to play home-and-home series, difficulty of not being a neutral site draw, etc.). Major respect to Ford and his staff for getting this together. This is no small feat.

I agree with this.  I think the only things SLU really has going for it in terms of making scheduling easier are: #1 they own the arena so they don't have to schedule around an NBA or NHL team like some schools in bigger cities that use those arenas do (ex: Georgetown) and #2 they are in a big(ish) city that has a pretty good / improving basketball talent base so teams looking to make inroads no the St. Louis recruiting market (ex: K-State) or get a local player a return game (also probably K-State/Sneed/Stockard/Williams, but going back a ways UNC/Hansbrough is an example).

East Carolina in the American for example probably has a tougher time scheduling than SLU since they are in Greenville, NC instead of St. Louis, MO while also facing the same problems you've outlined.

Pistol likes this

3 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Seton Hall - 11/17

High Point - 11/20

Belmont - 11/23

Boston College - 11/27

SIUC - 12/1

Tulane - 12/8

Auburn - 12/14

K State - 12/21

We seem to have a big gap between FGCU (11/5) and E Washington (11/13) so I would guess that we are trying to get a game in that period.  Pistol mentions that we need 18 home dates, but we had 19 last year so, with certain season ticket prices going up, it seems that we would at least keep the same number of home games.

5 minutes ago, bauman said:

We seem to have a big gap between FGCU (11/5) and E Washington (11/13) so I would guess that we are trying to get a game in that period.  Pistol mentions that we need 18 home dates, but we had 19 last year so, with certain season ticket prices going up, it seems that we would at least keep the same number of home games.

Good point. So we may either have one more regular season buy game and two exhibitions, or vice-versa.