2019-20 Non-conference schedule

ACE

27 minutes ago, slu72 said:

No whining about these games. BC is ACC and we should take all of those we can get. Belmont always a solid mid major program and a frequent dance invitee. Did they lose their coach this year? I think East Washington has had some decent years recently but really not sure. Our kids are young and this will be a good test for them.

After a cursory look at their roster from last year, only 2 were seniors. And that was the team that beat Temple for the 11 seed play in, and only lost to 6 seed Maryland by 2 points. 

Im assuming most of everyone will be returning for them, so they could be really good this year. 

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, GBL_Bills said:

After a cursory look at their roster from last year, only 2 were seniors. And that was the team that beat Temple for the 11 seed play in, and only lost to 6 seed Maryland by 2 points. 

Im assuming most of everyone will be returning for them, so they could be really good this year. 

Didn’t they get a GT too?

40 minutes ago, slu72 said:

No whining about these games. BC is ACC and we should take all of those we can get. Belmont always a solid mid major program and a frequent dance invitee. Did they lose their coach this year? I think East Washington has had some decent years recently but really not sure. Our kids are young and this will be a good test for them.

Coach Alexander left Lipscomb to take the job at Belmont this year.

59 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Yes - Rick Byrd, their legendary coach, retired. Casey Alexander, a former Belmont player and coach under Byrd who was the coach at Lipscomb, took over. Great hire, should be a pretty smooth transition. He spent about 20 years at Belmont between his playing and coaching days before pursuing HC opportunities elsewhere.

26 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Didn’t they get a GT too?

Yes - Tyler Scanlon, who SLU was also recruiting. He also visited Wisconsin and GW.

wgstl likes this

High Point is the alma mater of baby girl Taj and Tubby Smith.  Believe he went back last year.  They lost stud GT Proctor to Purdue.  Belmont is always tough.  ACC is ACC.  I like it.

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

Seton Hall lost only Michael Nzei from la1st year's team.  All others return.  Myles Powell went pro but then came back to school.   

Ahhh that’s who i was thinking left. Thanks 

I just finished two projects yesterday at work, so this is what happens when I have a free morning - our non-conference schedule opponents, from best to worst:

Seton Hall not only returns Powell, but they thought they were going to lose their head coach to Virginia Tech. Willard turned it down and returned, Powell decided to stay another year, and they're being picked around #2 in the Big East heading into this season. Nzei is the only big loss. Otherwise, they return 8 of their top 9 guys. Plus, they have a 7-footer from Florida State now eligible; he sat out last season due to transfer. They're not just going to be ranked - they'll probably be top 15. Last year they finished 59th in the NET and 60th in the Pomeroy ratings.

K-State tied for a share of the conference title last season, but they lose their top three guys - Brown, Wade, and Stokes. Xavier Sneed is the leading returning scorer. They bring in David Sloan, an excellent JUCO PG who SLU recruited at one time, and DaJuan Gordon, another guy SLU recruited and whose stock kept rising and rising as a senior to the point where it looks like KSU got a major steal before he became a blueblood guy. So they'll be solid but not as good as last year, especially in the early going. They also have a really tough non-conference schedule and we're late in the non-conference slate, so it'll be interesting to see what state they're in when we get them. They finished 23rd in the NET and 20th per Pomeroy.

Belmont's top scorer was a first round draft pick, and their second guy is gone, too. But they return pretty much everyone else, and their coaching change should be more seamless than any other in the country. The NET (39) liked them more than Pomeroy (49) and while I don't think they'll be quite as good as last season, they'll still be in the mix at the top of the OVC, especially with Ja Morant moving on.

Boston College finished 11th in the ACC last year and this year will probably see a similar outcome. Ky Bowman left early for the draft but most of the rest of their core is back. (Two interesting "Juniors" - Chris Herren, Jr. will be a sophomore and Vin Baker, Jr. transferred to Milwaukee.) The incoming freshmen are solid players but not the kind that will lift them into the top half of the league, at least not yet. This is a chance for our young roster to pick off a win from a power conference team on the road, even if we'll be the underdog. The challenge here is a mostly intact returning core, but we should be able to hang with them physically and athletically. BC finished 134th in the NET and 127 in Pomeroy last year.

SIUC shouldn't have beaten us last year - that's one I'd like to have back, especially because I think it's one of the worst games we played - and now they've got a new coach coming in. Mullins is an SIU grad and spent 6 years under Moser at Loyola. The roster is almost completely overhauled, but they were senior-heavy last year. They played 10 guys last year and only the 4th, 5th, and 10th are back. Two grad transfers - Ronnie Suggs (Mizzou) and Barret Benson (Northwestern) - are immediately eligible and will have bigger roles than ever before. They have 4 incoming freshmen, a JUCO transfer, and another transfer - Karrington Davis from Nebraska, who might be immediately eligible if given a waiver (he had a medical redshirt last season). Don't get me wrong, I don't think they'll be very good this season and we have to win this game. But Mullins has pieced together an intriguing roster with a lot of familiar names to us. They were 142 in the NET and 146 in Pomeroy last year.

Eastern Washington returns most of its top scorers but freshmen make up about half of the roster. They were third in the Big Sky last season, and it's not a strong conference. That's good for 237 in Pomeroy's rankings and 242 in the NET. Should be similar this year, maybe a bit closer to 200 if things break right for them.

High Point finished very close to them - 223 in Pomeroy, 231 NET. Their top scorer transferred to Purdue, the second leading scorer is gone, the fourth guy is gone, and worst of all, Justyn Mutts has left the program. (Pour one out for your boy, @Box and Won.) Their incoming freshman are better-than-normal for the Big South because Tubby can recruit and High Point has a ridiculously nice campus to help him sell, but this is probably the weakest team on our schedule so far.

What we know so far is shaping up really nicely. Most of the rest will be buy games at home but I think we still have at least one more strong name TBA.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

High Point finished very close to them - 223 in Pomeroy, 231 NET. Their top scorer transferred to Purdue, the second leading scorer is gone, the fourth guy is gone, and worst of all, Justyn Mutts has left the program. (Pour one out for your boy, @Box and Won.)

GET DELAWARE ON THE SCHEDULE

15 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Eastern Washington and Belmont are the type of buy games I like to see. Both are teams that should contend for their conference title which will help keep their NET on the higher end of cupcake games.

Hell I'd play Belmont in a home and home every year

Zink and brianstl like this

Buy games are suppose to just that a game that you expect to win all things being equal.  When you start buying games with teams that you might not win then you have to ask yourself why am I paying for it?  Maybe the game should be a home and home or just not one to consider at all.  I get the RPI thing but at some point a team needs to build confidence especially when you integrating many new untested players.