ACE

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/25/2019 at 9:24 AM, ACE said:

The only two that I'm aware of are Methdale and Seton Hall at home. I really liked our schedule this past season, so hopefully they can come up with something similar.

I really liked our non-con schedule this past season as well. Hopefully we have something comparable (a few games versus some easier P5 teams, sprinkled with a couple of tougher, ranked opponents) this season, and that the destination tourney is somewhere nice enough that it would be an easy sell to CEO of my household.

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

Until we start traveling better to these events, we will always be scrambling to get in the top tier events.

Aren't  most of these tournaments that are played in tropical locations (Maui, Virgin Islands, Bahamas, etc.) played in basically HS gyms or converted large event spaces (conference/ball rooms)?  They're more about bringing in TV revenue and ticket sales, I'd imagine.  Probably more important to get eyeballs watching SLU on TV than fans to travel to games.  Let's just win and do better at both.

19 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/sec-aac-announce-mens-basketball-scheduling-alliance-beginning-in-the-2019-20-season/

New AAC, SEC alliance. This is the kind of situation the A10 needed.  The upcoming MWC A10 alliance won't provide many Q1 opportunities.

Except there are four extra SEC teams that won't be part of this. My guess is that means Kentucky, Florida, and the other strongest SEC teams won't be part of this.

This is still a good arrangement for the AAC, getting a guaranteed SEC opponent.

9 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Aren't  most of these tournaments that are played in tropical locations (Maui, Virgin Islands, Bahamas, etc.) played in basically HS gyms or converted large event spaces (conference/ball rooms)?  They're more about bringing in TV revenue and ticket sales, I'd imagine.  Probably more important to get eyeballs watching SLU on TV than fans to travel to games.  Let's just win and do better at both.

Many of these tournaments make money by selling vacation packages to fans through the teams participating.

I’ve said this before but...

I’d like to see them hit up the bordering states for home and homes.

It would be a tough get but maybe if we pester them enough they will cave.

The big dogs like KS and KY might not happen  but why not one of the Iowa’s or Nebraska or one of the Oklahoma’s?

1 hour ago, dlarry said:

The big dogs like KS and KY might not happen  but why not one of the Iowa’s or Nebraska or one of the Oklahoma’s?

Never worked with Missouri 

8 hours ago, Pistol said:

Except there are four extra SEC teams that won't be part of this. My guess is that means Kentucky, Florida, and the other strongest SEC teams won't be part of this.

This is still a good arrangement for the AAC, getting a guaranteed SEC opponent.

The 4 teams that don't get to play in the sec/big 12 challenge will play in this each year. So basically the worst 4 SEC teams will play against AAC teams...

9 hours ago, Cincybill said:

The 4 teams that don't get to play in the sec/big 12 challenge will play in this each year. So basically the worst 4 SEC teams will play against AAC teams...

Assuming that is true, the bottom 4 in the SEC this season were Vandy, Georgia, Mizzou, and Texas A&M.  I'd take a game with any of them. 

On 4/18/2019 at 7:41 PM, dlarry said:

Get Memphis back on the schedule.

I’d like us to continue playing a big east team as often as possible. Unpopular opinion: I’d actually like to play a middle to lower tier big east team. I want as many straight wins as possible.

31 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I’d like us to continue playing a big east team as often as possible. Unpopular opinion: I’d actually like to play a middle to lower tier big east team. I want as many straight wins as possible.

Get DePaul on the schedule it would be nice to get Gordon a game in his hometown. 😉

Xavier would be my dream yearly Big East opponent.

2 hours ago, dlarry said:

Get DePaul on the schedule it would be nice to get Gordon a game in his hometown. 😉

Xavier would be my dream yearly Big East opponent.

I doubt we'd get an annual opponent from the Beast, but I hope we get a Beast opponent every season. Same goes for the AAC. Just about given up any hope of ever playing Mizzery again, but you'd think we could get a different B/12 or SEC team every season. 

On 4/18/2019 at 7:41 PM, dlarry said:

I can see fans of a team like Drake or Bradley saying the same thing about scheduling us to a home and home.  We turn them down for the same reasons that the Iowas or Nebraskas of the basketball world turn us down.  It's sad but true.  I wish the NCAA would place certain road game requirements on teams, but I don't think that will ever happen.

Matty Light likes this