Travel Call in Basketball

Schasz

Well if you watch any NBA basketball it is the most ignored call by NBA officials. NBA players travel all the time. It has come up today as yesterday the winning basket by LSU Waters there are replays being shown questioning whether he traveled. You know how the Maryland fans feel about the non call.

10 hours ago, Schasz said:

Well if you watch any NBA basketball it is the most ignored call by NBA officials. NBA players travel all the time. It has come up today as yesterday the winning basket by LSU Waters there are replays being shown questioning whether he traveled. You know how the Maryland fans feel about the non call.

I just got on the board so I am a little late responding.  I called it during the play and reversed it and counted the steps in slow motion.  Maryland got screwed on the last shot and they should have gotten the ball back with 4 seconds left.

What I have learned watching the tournament is that officiating is not good and that has changed how I watch next seasons Billiken games.  I will approach it that it all sucks no matter what conference you are in so why complain anymore it is what it is.

Just as bad of a call was Tennessee vs Iowa.  Tennessee was clinging to a lead and Tennessee was called for a foul after blocking a 3 point shot.  That call wasn’t even close it was a clean block.  It was one of those I thought I saw something calls.  Iowa tied the game late with that call with 3 free throws.

2 hours ago, CBFan said:

I just got on the board so I am a little late responding.  I called it during the play and reversed it and counted the steps in slow motion.  Maryland got screwed on the last shot and they should have gotten the ball back with 4 seconds left.

What I have learned watching the tournament is that officiating is not good and that has changed how I watch next seasons Billiken games.  I will approach it that it all sucks no matter what conference you are in so why complain anymore it is what it is.

Just as bad of a call was Tennessee vs Iowa.  Tennessee was clinging to a lead and Tennessee was called for a foul after blocking a 3 point shot.  That call wasn’t even close it was a clean block.  It was one of those I thought I saw something calls.  Iowa tied the game late with that call with 3 free throws.

Trust me the UT fan website was not happy with that call either...if you recall UT would likely have scored on a layup as they had a clear path to score. That was a 5 point play. Having said that I am also a Vols fan (wife is an Alum) I was not pleased with UT's 2nd half and some of it was due to foul trouble with way too many TO's too.

Bad officiating is a major factor in close games, not so much in games with a high point differential. However in games with a high point differentials, the dominance of a team is benefited by bad officiating. The NCAA should really look into this, but will they? My answer is no.

6 hours ago, Schasz said:

Trust me the UT fan website was not happy with that call either...if you recall UT would likely have scored on a layup as they had a clear path to score. That was a 5 point play. Having said that I am also a Vols fan (wife is an Alum) I was not pleased with UT's 2nd half and some of it was due to foul trouble with way too many TO's too.

I do recall that and UT had a melt down that was perpetrated by a bad call I do not think Iowa would have tied the game without that call.

I have UT in the finals with Duke I’m my pools.

Officiating is just bad and the chance of the NCAA fixing it is about as good of chance of winning the powerball.

I can imagine how the Maryland’s fan site read.  If the proper call is made Maryland has 4 seconds to get a shot up to win.

45 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Bad officiating is a major factor in close games, not so much in games with a high point differential. However in games with a high point differentials, the dominance of a team is benefited by bad officiating. The NCAA should really look into this, but will they? My answer is no.

I am for challenges like the NFL you lose a timeout for every challenge if wrong.

Billiken Rich likes this