Demarius Jacobs

Schasz

28 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Isn't it all situational?  Justin Love was big time both of his years.

i guess in the eyes of the beholder.   he was good as a junior he was great as a senior. 

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Historical JUCOs at SLU?  Who have I seen?  David Burns.  Kelvin Henderson.  Willie Wittenburg.   Tony Manuel.  Mike Ivester.  Travis Tadysak.  Charlie Newberry.  Tyrone Caswell.  Justin Love.  Mo Jeffers.  Tom Frericks.  Barry Eberhardt.  VaShaun Newborne.  Kenny Johnson.  Jeff Ford.  Donnie Dobbs.  David Robinson.  Donnie Campbell.  Abdur Raheem Al-Mateen.  Carl Turner.  Jeff Fergerson.  Luther Burden.  

Transfers coming home?  Jim Roder (K State).  Hasan Houston (K State).  Ted Mimlitz (Mizzou).  Jamal Johnson (Miami FL).  Evan Pederson (Northwestern).  PeeWee Leonard (Georgia).  

Four year transfers?  Javon Bess (Michigan State).  DJ Foreman (Rutgers).  Reggie Bryant (Villanova).  Luis Santos (USF).  Adonys Henriquez (UCF).  Ty Graves (Boston College).  Jeff Fisher (Pepperdine - came with Romar). H Waldman (UNLV).  

Grad Transfers?  Rahed Anthony (Seton Hall). Tramaine Isabell (Drexel).  Dion Wiley (Maryland).

Can't Miss Recruits?  Carte'Are Gordon.  Larry Hughes.  Justin Tatum.  Matt Baniak.  Julian Winfield.  Johnnie Parker.  Fred Thatch Jr. Kevin Lisch.  Tommie Liddell III.  Monroe Douglass.  Roland Gray.  Erwin Claggett.  Scott Highmark.  Eric Bickel.  Dwayne Polk.  Anthony Jones.  Nick Kerns.  Dwayne Polk.  Brett Thompson.  Rueben Cotto.

All categories have hits and misses.  You just never really know.  

VeniceMenace likes this

6 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Historical JUCOs at SLU?  Who have I seen?  David Burns.  Kelvin Henderson.  Willie Wittenburg.   Tony Manuel.  Mike Ivester.  Travis Tadysak.  Charlie Newberry.  Tyrone Caswell.  Justin Love.  Mo Jeffers.  Tom Frericks.  Barry Eberhardt.  VaShaun Newborne.  Kenny Johnson.  Jeff Ford.  Donnie Dobbs.  David Robinson.  Donnie Campbell.  Abdur Raheem Al-Mateen.  Carl Turner.  Jeff Fergerson.  Luther Burden.  

Transfers coming home?  Jim Roder (K State).  Hasan Houston (K State).  Ted Mimlitz (Mizzou).  Jamal Johnson (Miami FL).  Evan Pederson (Northwestern).  PeeWee Leonard (Georgia).  

Four year transfers?  Javon Bess (Michigan State).  DJ Foreman (Rutgers).  Reggie Bryant (Villanova).  Luis Santos (USF).  Adonys Henriquez (UCF).  Ty Graves (Boston College).  Jeff Fisher (Pepperdine - came with Romar). H Waldman (UNLV).  

Grad Transfers?  Rahed Anthony (Seton Hall). Tramaine Isabell (Drexel).  Dion Wiley (Maryland).

Can't Miss Recruits?  Carte'Are Gordon.  Larry Hughes.  Justin Tatum.  Matt Baniak.  Julian Winfield.  Johnnie Parker.  Fred Thatch Jr. Kevin Lisch.  Tommie Liddell III.  Monroe Douglass.  Roland Gray.  Erwin Claggett.  Scott Highmark.  Eric Bickel.  Dwayne Polk.  Anthony Jones.  Nick Kerns.  Dwayne Polk.  Brett Thompson.  Rueben Cotto.

All categories have hits and misses.  You just never really know.  

Josh wouldn't be happy to see that you confused him with the former Titans and Rams coach, who wound up being Stan Kroenke's tool.

7 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

almost all of the slu juco transfers that come to mind over the last 20=30 years seem to have a so so first year but then a lot of them seemed to really step up for the senior year.   

Dobbs was 17.3 ppg/ 16.0 ppg

Love was 13.7 ppg/ 18.2 ppg  

I’d take either of those first years and call it very nice  

On 4/5/2019 at 8:47 AM, billiken_roy said:

i disagree clock.   coach ford has shown a defense first mentality since becoming our coach.   thatch was our second best defender last year and that will go a long way to his playing time next year.   yes we need offense skills, but i also feel thatch didnt not play at the level of offensive skills he has in his arsenal.   

not saying jacobs cant/wont play or even play ahead of thatch, but he has to be markedly better than thatch on all levels which includes defense.   

that said, it has always been my belief and opinion that defense (and rebounding) is more about effort and headiness than athleticism.  any of our players can be good defenders if they try.  

Roy.

A lot will depend on how flexible these new guy really are.  Believe Goodwin playing PG and French at the 4 is all that is truly likely.  We have a lot of minutes up for grabs.   And while defense actually starts the offense and while defensive skills will always get a player minutes, we did rely upon Bess and Isabell to shoot/make baskets are the key moments in games and when the shot clock was ticking down.  And as good as Bess' defense was, we did need his shot.   Now if the new players are as good as advertised, are ready to contribute from day 1, and are versatile enough to cover all the needs of this team not already covered by Goodwin and French, then minutes will be tough for Jacobs.   But Goodwin and French are not perimeter shooters and Goodwin could use help with the ball/dribbling. Yuri sounds great, will likely contribute and play from day 1 but also doesn't sound like a 3 point threat as a Freshman.   Other guys are larger, taller, good shooter but may not have the PG/dribbling skills from day 1. If they do, then minutes will be tough for Jacobs.  If Thatch can provide perimeter shooting and PG skills to go along with his defensive skills, then again, minutes will be tough for Jacobs.  

But until the new guys and Thatch demonstrate they deserve the minutes and can replace Isabell, then Jacobs appears to have a path.  I assume Jacobs was slowed by injuries.  I also assume that additional time/growth to add body mass will greatly help Jacobs.  I assume that a year of practicing for Coach Ford has made him realize what he needs to work on this Summer.  But if Jacobs was slated to assist with the PG duties before being slowed by injuries, then a healthy Jacobs, with increased body mass and perimeter shot is demonstrated this October, then a path does exist.