Demarius Jacobs

Schasz

12 hours ago, CBFan said:

The guy you quoted got so mad that I bad posted him twice that he actually PM’d me called me a name said I was attacking him and said he was not going to take my crap.  This person has a lot of nerve to complain about differing opinions.  I bad posted him because he made two snarky useless posts that got under my skin.

I agree with what you are saying there is plenty of it on this board and plenty of hypocrisy too.

One thing I have learned the only reactions I will make is good posts and nothing else.

so what you were saying is it ok for you to bad post someone, but not acceptable for them to bad post you back.....got it.....i hope you take your own advice.....i primarily post recruiting news and links to videos and audios....how dare i give an opinion on a future players abilities.....

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/23/2019 at 2:41 PM, Coach314 said:

Let's keep it real.  There's a different expectation between fans and players when it comes to minutes.  Fans want a loaded roster with competition at every spot and the ones that lose out should be happy until they get their turn.  I would assume Jacobs was told there would be a role available if he earned it.  For whatever reason he didn't get a lot of minutes this year.  Everyone in this forum would agree the team needs more skilled offensive players.  Jimerson,  Perkins,  Hargrove are coming in to help in that area.  Yuri as a facilitator.  With the potential of adding even more players it is possible Jacobs could be the odd man out.  There could be a couple players not getting minutes they were told would be available if Ford continues to play 8-9.  So it's not always an issue of feeling entitled,  many players just want the chance they were told they would be given.  If they don't receive it...it's sometimes best for both parties to part ways.

Or sometimes they are given the chance and don't measure up after what the coaches see in practice and in games.  Your inference is that he wasn't given the opportunity he was promised.  I'm sure some would disagree.

3 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

Or sometimes they are given the chance and don't measure up after what the coaches see in practice and in games.  Your inference is that he wasn't given the opportunity he was promised.  I'm sure some would disagree.

I clearly typed ...I would assume Jacobs was told there would be a role available if he earned it.  That is a common practice amongst coaches.  Javonte has been told that.  I don't think Jacobs decommited from SIU and went to Prep school to sit on a bench in college barely playing.  Now,  how does he earn it?  He earns it during practice.  Promising minutes and saying their are mins available if you earn it are two different things.  Maybe the role Jacobs thought he would have isn't there now or will be limited next year.  The team needed a point guard and more shooting.  Guess what's coming next year.  Do you not give Jimerson minutes?  What about Yuri, Hargrove, Perkins, Bell?  On a team with an 8-9 man rotation...Jacobs might not be counted on to have a big role.  Maybe I am wrong.  The only point I was making is that it's not always about being spoiled when it comes to kids transferring as others were inferring.  Sometimes they get recruited over or just want a better opportunity.  Ultimately it's up to Jacobs.  If he's happy with his role he will stay.

Edited by Coach314

21 hours ago, Coach314 said:

I clearly typed ...I would assume Jacobs was told there would be a role available if he earned it.  That is a common practice amongst coaches.  Javonte has been told that.  I don't think Jacobs decommited from SIU and went to Prep school to sit on a bench in college barely playing.  Now,  how does he earn it?  He earns it during practice.  Promising minutes and saying their are mins available if you earn it are two different things.  Maybe the role Jacobs thought he would have isn't there now or will be limited next year.  The team needed a point guard and more shooting.  Guess what's coming next year.  Do you not give Jimerson minutes?  What about Yuri, Hargrove, Perkins, Bell?  On a team with an 8-9 man rotation...Jacobs might not be counted on to have a big role.  Maybe I am wrong.  The only point I was making is that it's not always about being spoiled when it comes to kids transferring as others were inferring.  Sometimes they get recruited over or just want a better opportunity.  Ultimately it's up to Jacobs.  If he's happy with his role he will stay.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying.  I just didn't agree with the part where you made it sound like Jacobs was promised something that he didn't get.  You made it seem like he was given a promise of an opportunity to compete for minutes and then Ford and the coaches didn't fulfill that promise.  I think that they did fulfill their promise, gave Jacobs an opportunity to compete, and he didn't, for whatever reason, earn his playing time.  I don't think he'd be acting entitled if he transferred.  I just didn't like the inference that he was treated unfairly.

22 minutes ago, wgstl said:

This is pretty reassuring . Jacobs is the one who responded with “big facts”

486733FC-D881-4057-B15C-BCE57022EC92.png

Thank you for posting this he had a tough season however he saw the best of times in the A10 tournament and that should motivate the freshman returning when they saw themselves what is possible.

Yes.  Thanks for posting.  Like everyone else, I had my concerns about Jacobs as well   And while his injuries and lack of significant playing time have definitely set him back some and allowed others to have a head start over him (Thatch), most of Thatch's role/playing time was as a defensive stopper and role player.   Next year, we will need a guard to can handle the ball, play some PG,  shoot from the perimeter and score -- so a clear path exists for Jacobs.   If Jacobs shoots it better than Thatch, Jacobs will get the time.

And high school, prep school and JUCO is one thing while actual D1/A10 ball is another.  Maybe some/all of our new guys will step into the shoes of Isabell/be the perimeter threat we need and play the 2 -- or as some like to succinctly say, play wing on a modern team of equals, with no labels with has face to the basket to make outside shots though he is not the only one who can and will need to make outside shots but instead be 1 of our top 5 players.

i disagree clock.   coach ford has shown a defense first mentality since becoming our coach.   thatch was our second best defender last year and that will go a long way to his playing time next year.   yes we need offense skills, but i also feel thatch didnt not play at the level of offensive skills he has in his arsenal.   

not saying jacobs cant/wont play or even play ahead of thatch, but he has to be markedly better than thatch on all levels which includes defense.   

that said, it has always been my belief and opinion that defense (and rebounding) is more about effort and headiness than athleticism.  any of our players can be good defenders if they try.  

7 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

that said, it has always been my belief and opinion that defense (and rebounding) is more about effort and headiness than athleticism.  any of our players can be good defenders if they try.  

To be a average/good defender you need effort and headlines.

To be an elite defender you need athleticism and a natural ability along with the effort and headiness.

slufanskip likes this

20 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i disagree clock.   coach ford has shown a defense first mentality since becoming our coach.   thatch was our second best defender last year and that will go a long way to his playing time next year.   yes we need offense skills, but i also feel thatch didnt not play at the level of offensive skills he has in his arsenal.   

not saying jacobs cant/wont play or even play ahead of thatch, but he has to be markedly better than thatch on all levels which includes defense.   

I agree that ford is defense first, but you know as well as most, that the lack of offense at times this year costs us wins.  Its ok to have 4 defensive players and one offensive player in.  That still makes your set a defensive unit.  I mean, look at isabell for the first half of the season, huge liability on defense, didn't stop him from playing a ton of minutes. 

What options has Ford had in his three years here but to emphasize defense?  This season's team was not exactly lasered in on scoring. 42% FG and 30% 3FG doesn't give you the option of offense over defense.  Two seasons ago, 42% and 32%, again, not much to debate.  His first season's team was 40% and 34% (average for our three % over 20 seasons).  Get some scorers on the floor and see if the emphasis tilts more towards offense.  

We played a lot of zone this year.  Yes, it takes effort to play defense on a zone, but you can hide some weak spots better in a zone than in man.

billiken_roy likes this

Don't you think Ford assessed his first 3 teams here and decided we're offensively challenged? I don't have a legit outside threat, I don't have any real slashers, I don't have an inside big time scorer, so our best chance is stressing D and taking time off the clock on offense to wear out the opponent by making them play a lot of D. Our offense never came together until the A10 tourney when both Bess and Isabell started clicking together. Still, we had to resort to D and bully ball to beat ST. B in the final. 

Next year, hopefully, we will become more offense minded. We have 4 guys coming in who have shown they can score. Of course, that will not translate immediately to D1. And given that we only return 26 points on offense, I'm not expecting we're gonna be the new Loyola Marymount. Instead, it's gonna take some time for all these new parts to come together. I just hope Ford gives them more freedom than we've seen to date. Stop running the clock down with the weave to 4-5 seconds, Get out and push the ball to use guys like Hargrove and Perkins. Push it inside to French or even JGood for some kick outs. Allow Yuri to use his passing skills to get our inside guys good looks. 

And. of course, we need JGood, Thatch, and French to up their offensive skills. Bottom line: look for progress and growth. Making the dance would take a miracle. 

6 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Don't you think Ford assessed his first 3 teams here and decided we're offensively challenged? I don't have a legit outside threat, I don't have any real slashers, I don't have an inside big time scorer, so our best chance is stressing D and taking time off the clock on offense to wear out the opponent by making them play a lot of D. Our offense never came together until the A10 tourney when both Bess and Isabell started clicking together. Still, we had to resort to D and bully ball to beat ST. B in the final. 

Bishop, Welmer, henriquez, an injured Bess who could have been a great scorer if it wasn't for the injury.  Hes recruited offensive players, bad luck has been the issue. 

1 minute ago, wgstl said:

Bishop, Welmer, henriquez, an injured Bess who could have been a great scorer if it wasn't for the injury.  Hes recruited offensive players, bad luck has been the issue. 

No argument there. You can also add Gordon, Santos, and Graves to that list. I think they would all have given us ample firepower to be more offensive minded. 

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

I agree that ford is defense first, but you know as well as most, that the lack of offense at times this year costs us wins.  Its ok to have 4 defensive players and one offensive player in.  That still makes your set a defensive unit.  I mean, look at isabell for the first half of the season, huge liability on defense, didn't stop him from playing a ton of minutes. 

im not saying i agree with ford's approach.  i am just saying that it is obvious he values defense and rebounding first.   

27 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Next year, hopefully, we will become more offense minded. We have 4 guys coming in who have shown they can score. Of course, that will not translate immediately to D1. And given that we only return 26 points on offense, I'm not expecting we're gonna be the new Loyola Marymount. Instead, it's gonna take some time for all these new parts to come together. I just hope Ford gives them more freedom than we've seen to date. Stop running the clock down with the weave to 4-5 seconds, Get out and push the ball to use guys like Hargrove and Perkins. Push it inside to French or even JGood for some kick outs. Allow Yuri to use his passing skills to get our inside guys good looks. 

And. of course, we need JGood, Thatch, and French to up their offensive skills. Bottom line: look for progress and growth. Making the dance would take a miracle. 

i dont see the evidence that our freshmen will turn us into loyola marymount from a couple of decades ago.   imo we will still be a defense first squad.   i would love to see that change, but not yet.   when we start running all the time on possession changes instead of playing hoosiers ball then we can all start looking at the change. 

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

i dont see the evidence that our freshmen will turn us into loyola marymount from a couple of decades ago.   imo we will still be a defense first squad.   i would love to see that change, but not yet.   when we start running all the time on possession changes instead of playing hoosiers ball then we can all start looking at the change. 

Oh, I agree. My point was I don't think expectations are going to be sky high next year due to youth. So, Travis can be a little bolder in designing his offense. He's got the athletes and depth to play with, let's see what he does. 

1 hour ago, WVBilliken said:

Miracle?  Assume Perkins is as good as he appears, a couple of frosh step up like Thatch did, a couple of good grad transfers  .....  and SLU can dance.

I understand it's a guessing game but what can we honestly/realistically expect from Perkins his first year at SLU? How does the JUCO game historically translate?  

22 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I understand it's a guessing game but what can we honestly/realistically expect from Perkins his first year at SLU? How does the JUCO game historically translate?  

almost all of the slu juco transfers that come to mind over the last 20=30 years seem to have a so so first year but then a lot of them seemed to really step up for the senior year.   

31 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I expect he'll start and average double figures. In the A10, athletic wings with size and a jump shot are a serious matchup problem.