Demarius Jacobs

Schasz

39 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Expectations in this blog always head up to unreasonable levels after the end of a season. The operational word here is unreasonable. Of course, by the end of the summer some or many expect the team to rank in the top of the nation (this is a fantasy, not reality). This leads to the following consequences: 1. Fury when someone says that the high expectations exist are fantasy, not reality, and resulting in calling whoever is pointing this out a "troll". 2. Even if the team improves to a significant extent in any given year and achieves more than the prior year, high expectations people will still be frustrated and resentful because their personal expectations were not met. Of course, all of this is due to faulty internal emotional thinking, aggrandizing expectations for the team, which brings a lot of people down hard after expectations are not met once again. Then the frustration and fury due to being wrong once more is expressed by finding a scapegoat to put the blame on. There is no scapegoat to be found, the problem rests in inflated expectations, not on someone else.

Please understand this: recurrent episodes of excessive expectations followed by severe let downs and scapegoat hunting, can be considered pathological depending on the degree of the highs and the lows suffered in a regular basis. If these highs and lows are severe enough to disrupt your daily life, you should consult a psychiatrist.

Seems like the one who is overly worked up is you...Reminder, it’s a message board, that’s why we come on here is to exchange ideas.. the problem is when people take everything too personal. I’m a fan and want to enjoy myself, if I want to get depressed I can turn on the news...

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

Well BS back to you. 

Again, I haven’t seen Yuri play and I suspect you haven’t either. But dont let that get in your way.  Don’t believe guys like 3 Star who knows Yuri likely best. 

And not sure what game you (or season u are referring to) but let’s talke about the SLU v VT game.  We shot 17%(4 of 23)  from 3 compared to their 40% (4 of 10).  Isaiah Thomas (insert your favorite PG) here could have been on the floor for us and we dont make many more 3’s.  Not amazing . And don't forget we shot 36% from the field compare to their >40% and also our poor FT %. 

Basketball is not a game of horse.  Saying that an elite point guard would not have improved our offensive performance demonstrates a lack of understanding as to what goes into a successful offensive possession - cutting, passing, spacing, decision making, and, of course, the shot itself.  An elite playmaker makes a team better in a number of ways, including becoming better shooters.  The ability to penetrate and dish improves shooting ability by giving the shooter more time.  Good decision making improves shooting by getting the ball to the player who is actually open.  This is particularly true when the shot clock is running down and the player receiving the last pass is forced to shoot.  A particularly overlooked aspect is the quality of the pass.  A pass delivered too high/low, wide, etc. throws off the timing of the shot and allows the defender a split second more to react.  I can distinctly recall Rich Grawer emphasizing that point in his guard camps that he conducted for years.  To say an elite point guard the likes of Thomas, Magic Johnson, etc. wouldn't facilitate more quality shot opportunities is silly.  From the video and accounts of those who have seen Collins play, he appears to have the unique instincts and skill set to make those around him better.  If that is indeed the case, he will be on the floor sooner than later.  

dennis_w likes this

Henry i typically like your thoughts, but it seems you are implying yuri is an elite point guard and dropping names like magic johnson and isiah thomas.

I hope you and others wont be too upset when he doesnt step on the floor day one at that level of play.

It is somewhat unfair to make those assertions.   Poor yuri.

Pass first point guards are such a rarity now days that the average fan doesnt realize how much of a positive affect they have on a team. I dont think anyone is saying that yuri is isiah thomas, but that like the aforementioned guards he has the ability to make teammates better

6 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Henry i typically like your thoughts, but it seems you are implying yuri is an elite point guard and dropping names like magic johnson and isiah thomas.

I hope you and others wont be too upset when he doesnt step on the floor day one at that level of play.

It is somewhat unfair to make those assertions.   Poor yuri.

Roy...please read carefully. I never said he was Johnson or Thomas. I was replying to a post that said even a point guard as good as those two wouldn't have made a difference in the last game. Notice I used the word..IF...when assessing Collins.

These are the stats for Collins out of the Posts Dispatch.  Typically the PD stats have some inaccuracy to them.  I'm only copying and pasting them.  The first box is from the Metro Area leaders, the second is from the St. Mary's stats on the PD.  That's all I know, so don't ask me to clarify.

Assist leaders (min. 15 games played)

Name
Ast
Avg
Yuri Collins, St. Mary's
# Name GP Pts Avg FG FG% 2FG 2F% 3FG 3F% FT FT%
1 Yuri Collins 23 520 22.6 173-329 52.6 152-235 64.7 21-94 22.3 153-194 78.9

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

Right now I only see Jimerson as a 3 pt shooter. And he's got to prove it at the next level, so I'm not figuring we'll be lights out from 3 land. That said, if we don't improve from beyond the arc we're right back to this year w/ our offense and counting heavily on our D to win games. One would hope if guys put in the effort to improve their 3 point shot we'll see some results. When you're pretty much starting at rock bottom it doesn't take much to show improvement. 

Honestly, if we could just improve our FT shooting for example - shoot 75% which is not an unreasonable expectation we would have the net result of 2-3 more 3s made in the game.

re: Yuri

I hope he lives up to the hype/potential. I've long believed that having a quality play maker the most valuable asset in basketball. Until he shows it against regular season D1 competition, he's a prospect. Period.

re: Jacobs

I expected more from him this year. If he wants to transfer, fine. If he wants to stay, fine. I'm of the opinion you can't have too much depth when it comes to ball handling guards.

drkelsey55 likes this

1 hour ago, HenryB said:

Basketball is not a game of horse.  Saying that an elite point guard would not have improved our offensive performance demonstrates a lack of understanding as to what goes into a successful offensive possession - cutting, passing, spacing, decision making, and, of course, the shot itself.  An elite playmaker makes a team better in a number of ways, including becoming better shooters.  The ability to penetrate and dish improves shooting ability by giving the shooter more time.  Good decision making improves shooting by getting the ball to the player who is actually open.  This is particularly true when the shot clock is running down and the player receiving the last pass is forced to shoot.  A particularly overlooked aspect is the quality of the pass.  A pass delivered too high/low, wide, etc. throws off the timing of the shot and allows the defender a split second more to react.  I can distinctly recall Rich Grawer emphasizing that point in his guard camps that he conducted for years.  To say an elite point guard the likes of Thomas, Magic Johnson, etc. wouldn't facilitate more quality shot opportunities is silly.  From the video and accounts of those who have seen Collins play, he appears to have the unique instincts and skill set to make those around him better.  If that is indeed the case, he will be on the floor sooner than later.  

Not sure what your point is?

That a good PG is important and makes others around him better?  Of couse. Who is denying that?

That Goodwin is so bad at PG that our team of sharpshooters are only missing their shots bc of his poor passes and his bad timing? And that once we get Yuri in at PG, our team’s problems go away?

Again, we had plenty of wide open looks at the basket against V Tech - and we simply missed the shots.  And not all missed by any one player.

PG’s get you open shots but open shot misses are on the shooter - not the PG.  Again, we made 4 of 23 attempts. Are you suggesting that Goodwin did such a poor job on the 19 missed shots.  I dont recall that many last second heaves as the shot clock is expiring. And that had we had Yuri, we would have made a large percentage of these shots?

2 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Not sure what your point is?

That a good PG is important and makes others around him better?  Of couse. Who is denying that?

That Goodwin is so bad at PG that our team of sharpshooters are only missing their shots bc of his poor passes and his bad timing? And that once we get Yuri in at PG, our team’s problems go away?

Again, we had plenty of wide open looks at the basket against V Tech - and we simply missed the shots.  And not all missed by any one player.

PG’s get you open shots but open shot misses are on the shooter - not the PG.  Again, we made 4 of 23 attempts. Are you suggesting that Goodwin did such a poor job on the 19 missed shots.  I dont recall that many last second heaves as the shot clock is expiring. And that had we had Yuri, we would have made a large percentage of these shots?

My issue with you is dismissing his ability. Coach Ford, labeled him as one of the top point guards in the country. Saying he won’t see the court much until his jr year, seems extremely dismissive of his abilities.

Again. No time like the present for a lesson in reading comprehension. I have not seen Yuri play, I remain optimistic about him , I never dismissed Yuri and his abilities and I never said he may not start until his JR year.  

Instead, that was said by a well respected poster who knows Yuri quite well, has seen him play possibly the most on this board and who remains possibly Yuri’s biggest fan. Next time, if you feel someone is dismissing a new recruit of ours,  ask the person making the statement.

3 hours ago, slu72 said:

Right now I only see Jimerson as a 3 pt shooter. And he's got to prove it at the next level, so I'm not figuring we'll be lights out from 3 land. That said, if we don't improve from beyond the arc we're right back to this year w/ our offense and counting heavily on our D to win games. One would hope if guys put in the effort to improve their 3 point shot we'll see some results. When you're pretty much starting at rock bottom it doesn't take much to show improvement. 

Hargrove shot about 38% from 3, Perkins shot 36% from 3. Both percentages are higher than anyone on SLU with double-digit 3 pt attempts

1 hour ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

My issue with you is dismissing his ability. Coach Ford, labeled him as one of the top point guards in the country. Saying he won’t see the court much until his jr year, seems extremely dismissive of his abilities.

There's a middle ground between not starting and not seeing the court much.

3 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

When your baseline is 59%, 75% is absolutely an unreasonable expectation.

When I said a reasonable expectation I was simply pointing out that having a team that shoots 75% is not unreasonable to expect.  So if we could do that then that was not asking them to do something that is not likely doable like shooting 50% from the 3 for the year.

14 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

Again. No time like the present for a lesson in reading comprehension. I have not seen Yuri play, I remain optimistic about him , I never dismissed Yuri and his abilities and I never said he may not start until his JR year.  

Instead, that was said by a well respected poster who knows Yuri quite well, has seen him play possibly the most on this board and who remains possibly Yuri’s biggest fan. Next time, if you feel someone is dismissing a new recruit of ours,  ask the person making the statement.

If you don’t want responses to your posts, then don’t post! Why are you so offended by getting someone else’s thoughts? I got my opinion from watching Collins, and actually listening to our Coach say he was one of the best high school point guards in the country. Again, IT’S A MESSAGE BOARD. Seems like there is a pervasive attitude by some, that only a select fews opinion are wanted. Keep it up, and you might get your wish. 

AGB91 likes this

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

Good to know, but it's go to translate to D1. 

Agreed...Perkins and Hargrove will shoot far fewer threes than Jimerson...so in Addition to a getting a couple more bigs we may need to get one more 3 point shooter with that third and final scholarship.

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

When I said a reasonable expectation I was simply pointing out that having a team that shoots 75% is not unreasonable to expect.  So if we could do that then that was not asking them to do something that is not likely doable like shooting 50% from the 3 for the year.

We lose our best free throw shooters and you think it’s reasonavle for us to go from 351st to  36th in FT %age.  

It’s an unreasonable expectation with respect to SLU for 19-20.  

5 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

It’s an unreasonable expectation with respect to SLU for 19-20.  

OK - clearly my point is not being understood.  I am not sure how else I can explain it - I never said SLU will shoot 75% just that if they could it would take the heat off trying to improve the 3 point shooting.  

3 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

OK - clearly my point is not being understood.  I am not sure how else I can explain it - I never said SLU will shoot 75% just that if they could it would take the heat off trying to improve the 3 point shooting.  

Your point was not clearly made.  Your initial statement said that if we could shoot 75%, which is not an unreasonable expectation, then we would have the equivalent of 2-3 more 3s a game.  It is an unreasonable expectation for this team.   You’re the one that connected 75% to SLU.  Anywho, I’m hoping for 65-70% next year.

brianstl likes this