Favorite Billikens Memory?

5 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

Our win at Butler the year we beat them 3 times... our group of 50 students was louder than their entire student section. My best memory from all of college

That was probably the best Billiken's season in the modern era. That team kicked the shlt out of everybody.

Being younger, I looked up to Anthony Drejaj. Therefore, when my dad took me to an away game I jumped at the chance to get an autograph. He was caught off guard because it was an away game, but overall he was really nice and help call over other players to sign autographs. 10/10 would totally ask again.  

28 minutes ago, Go_Bills said:

Being younger, I looked up to Anthony Drejaj. Therefore, when my dad took me to an away game I jumped at the chance to get an autograph. He was caught off guard because it was an away game, but overall he was really nice and help call over other players to sign autographs. 10/10 would totally ask again.  

So bittersweet.

10 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Not really a specific memory but the memories I have of going to the games as a kid when they played at Kiel. I remember my friend and I would hoard those balls they threw into the crowd and then we would go back to his house and play basketball in his room.

+1

17 hours ago, Billikenbooster said:

Game at the Arena, vs SIU.  Spoon coach, the place was friggin' packed.  They had to take down the tarps in the end zones of the upper deck.  So freakin' loud.  That was for me when I knew SLU bball was back.

mhg

This is one of my favorites also. I had only moved to StL a couple of years earlier and had been to maybe 3-4 games. My Dad came up from Texas and we went to the game. He was a big UT fan and went to many Longhorn games and was a Dallas Mav season ticket holder. We got to the game and there is 17k+ there. We're climbing up to the top and he says Seriously Saint Louis U draws more fans than the Mavs? He was amazed by the crowd as was I. I became a Billiken Club member and season ticket holder the next year. 

Some of my others … Flying to New Orleans and Memphis on Billiken Club organized trips. (Wish they still did those trips they were a blast. Flew down the day before the game and flew back immediately afterward. 

On the Court has to be Miracle in Memphis, all the NCAA tourney games, L"Ville win.. 

For me, Louisville was my first, favorite team growing up.  I still recall watching Darrel Griffith and Louisville most Saturdays on their run to the NCAA Championship in 1980.  Denny Crum was the best in the game at that time -- post John Wooden and prior to Coach K.  And when we beat Crum and his Cardinals, that was my most memorable moment.  Close game, rushing the court -- but I mostly recall waiting for the buses, post-game, outside the Kiel and waiting to go to Humphreys and seeing HOF Coaching Legend Denny Crum having to push his way through all of us to get to their chartered bus. That was the best!!

1 hour ago, Clock_Tower said:

For me, Louisville was my first, favorite team growing up.  I still recall watching Darrel Griffith and Louisville most Saturdays on their run to the NCAA Championship in 1980.  Denny Crum was the best in the game at that time -- post John Wooden and prior to Coach K.  And when we beat Crum and his Cardinals, that was my most memorable moment.  Close game, rushing the court -- but I mostly recall waiting for the buses, post-game, outside the Kiel and waiting to go to Humphreys and seeing HOF Coaching Legend Denny Crum having to push his way through all of us to get to their chartered bus. That was the best!!

If you are referring to when we beat Louisville when they were #2 in the country, Pitino was coach.  But there could be another Louisville game where we rushed the court at Kiel that was before my time.

http://www.slubillikens.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=27200&ATCLID=205259548

I thought the rush the court louisville game was in 2003.

I e. Pitino.    That loss at that point in the season was only Louisville's second loss of the year and i'm thinking the were ranked second in the country when it occurred.   That also was marquee perry's amazing senior season

1 hour ago, kshoe said:

We rushed the court for a 10 point win over a 4-10 Louisville team?

Yes. I believe it one of our first wins over Louisville - a national power w a HOF coach.  Again the scene by these buses was memorable. Never said it was our biggest win in modern basketball. 

15 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Yes. I believe it one of our first wins over Louisville - a national power w a HOF coach.  Again the scene by these buses was memorable. Never said it was our biggest win in modern basketball. 

I think I (and others) are suggesting you are mis-remembering.

The 00-01 season was our 6th year in CUSA with Louisville and we had bested Louisville at least a couple times (96 on the road and 98 with Hughes) before.

We didnt rushing the court against a 4-10 team in a 10 point victory no matter what you recall.

TheA_Bomb likes this

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

I thought the rush the court louisville game was in 2003.

I e. Pitino.    That loss at that point in the season was only Louisville's second loss of the year and i'm thinking the were ranked second in the country when it occurred.   That also was marquee perry's amazing senior season

Confirmed,  it was 2003. Roy mailed a picture of the court rush to me in Kuwait.  SLU went to NIT that year.   The last thing I did before rolling to the Iraq border was check the game score vs Minnesota.