NCAA Tournament - Opening Weekend GDT

dlarry

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. These upset teams all had brain farts today. Yale, Belmont and NM State all should have won.  Yale forgot how to shoot threes, must have missed 15 wide open ones.  NM State doesn't realize they only need a 2, and then can't hit free throws. And Belmont, Rick Byrd, 33 years of coaching, biggest win ever on your doorstep, and you don't call a timeout down 1 with the shot clock off? So your team's rears tighten and they screw it up. Incredible. Boring afternoon of chalk. 

1 minute ago, mrjoelabs said:

Wow. These upset teams all had brain farts today. Yale, Belmont and NM State all should have won.  Yale forgot how to shoot threes, must have missed 15 wide open ones.  NM State doesn't realize they only need a 2, and then can't hit free throws. And Belmont, Rick Byrd, 33 years of coaching, biggest win ever on your doorstep, and you don't call a timeout down 1 with the shot clock off? So your team's rears tighten and they screw it up. Incredible. Boring afternoon of chalk. 

Belmont always uses a play in the final seconds where the guard delays at the wing, fake panics, then finds the backdoor cutter for the easy lay in.  Everyone knows about it, but if Byrd calls time out, Maryland gets to talk it over and that play is 100% out.  They tried it and it just didn't come off.  I can see why Byrd didn't call the timeout. First time I've seen it unsuccessful.   Here's a video breaking it down

RUBillsFan and mrjoelabs like this

1 minute ago, gobillsgo said:

Belmont always uses a play in the final seconds where the guard delays at the wing, fake panics, then finds the backdoor cutter for the easy lay in.  Everyone knows about it, but if Byrd calls time out, Maryland gets to talk it over and that play is 100% out.  They tried it and it just didn't come off.  I can see why Byrd didn't call the timeout. First time I've seen it unsuccessful.   Here's a video breaking it down

I didn't know that. However I am guessing maryland did, and probably talked about it at the half. I would not have used that play. 

1 minute ago, majerus mojo said:

I just hate letting the clock run in that spot. If you miss you give yourself no time to foul and get another shot at it 

Exactly, even if they wanted to run that, don't run it down that far. But if a public youtube vid is out there showing that play in the exact same situation, I am sure Maryland knew about it. Hence interception. Bad coaching by Byrd.