A10 Preview 2019-2020

Pistol

47 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Well, not really.  NIT pays squat.  The only tourney that matters is the one that pays, the NCAA.

The discussion prior to your post only mentioned "tournament teams."  While I agree that the NCAA is a more important and prestigious tournament and pays a considerable amount of money to those participating in it, and also agree that this is the tournament that counts, that is not what was being discussed. The discussion was the A10 getting from 3 to 5 teams into tournament this coming season. If you believe the A10 has a single chance in hell to get 3 to 5 teams into the NCAA the coming season, please say so. Otherwise the 3 to 5 teams have to include the NIT as a post season tournament.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, Old guy said:

The discussion prior to your post only mentioned "tournament teams."  While I agree that the NCAA is a more important and prestigious tournament and pays a considerable amount of money to those participating in it, and also agree that this is the tournament that counts, that is not what was being discussed. The discussion was the A10 getting from 3 to 5 teams into tournament this coming season. If you believe the A10 has a single chance in hell to get 3 to 5 teams into the NCAA the coming season, please say so. Otherwise the 3 to 5 teams have to include the NIT as a post season tournament.

I believe I am speaking for everyone else on this board when I say that nobody ever has the NIT in mind when mentioning "tournament teams".

57 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Sorry Old Guy. NIT stands for not in tournament. 

2 hours ago, Old guy said:

If you believe the A10 has a single chance in hell to get 3 to 5 teams into the NCAA the coming season, please say so.

More than a single chance. The A10 usually has 3 tourney teams. Lunardi currently has Dayton (which would be the 3rd team in) as the 6th team out. 

3 hours ago, QUAILMAN said:

I believe I am speaking for everyone else on this board when I say that nobody ever has the NIT in mind when mentioning "tournament teams".

Everyone plus their family, friends, acquaintances, and people they've passed in the potato chip aisle at Dierbergs 

OK Willie and Compton, you have to accept then that the A10 only got two teams into the NCAA tournament last year. Why should anyone think they can get up to 5 teams into the NCAA tournament this coming season. It is May, a lot of things may happen before the 2019 - 2020 NCAA tournament happens, why are you so confident that your predictions will come true?

6 hours ago, Old guy said:

OK Willie and Compton, you have to accept then that the A10 only got two teams into the NCAA tournament last year. Why should anyone think they can get up to 5 teams into the NCAA tournament this coming season. It is May, a lot of things may happen before the 2019 - 2020 NCAA tournament happens, why are you so confident that your predictions will come true?

How about looking at past history??? do you realize they have had as many as 6 teams make it??? Here are the numbers. They had 6 in the 2013/2014 season and 5 in the 2012/2013 season.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/conferences/atlantic-10/

I can see 3 making it this year: VCU, Davidson, and UD. UD may have the tougher road as they will likely struggle early to put all the new pieces together. Hopefully, we have a conf champ and a different tourney champ. Otherwise we could only see two make it. Face it, the dance has always been stacked in favor of the P5, and now more so than ever. 

it is my opinion to be a tourney team next year two things have to happen.   

1.  a couple of the newcomers have to come up big

2.  most importantly, french and goodwin have to fix both free throw and game shooting woes.  

if the above happens we have incredible potential to be as good or better than this past season.  but if the above two things dont happen.   we got a rebuilding year on our hands imo.  

AGB91 and SShoe like this

23 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

2.  most importantly, french and goodwin have to fix both free throw and game shooting woes.  

if the above happens we have incredible potential to be as good or better than this past season.  but if the above two things dont happen.   we got a rebuilding year on our hands imo.  

Agree

5 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

Based on your in-depth analysis backed by decades of experience following Billiken basketball and more than 10,000 posts on Billiken.com, I’ll summarize by saying it’s 50/50.

7 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

In terms of being better than this past season it's just hard to imagine anyone rising to Javon's level in the regular season or Tramaine's in the post-season. Hopefully that's the case though. French and Goodwin certainly have the ability to - those just seemed like special/senior performances. 

15 hours ago, Compton said:

In terms of being better than this past season it's just hard to imagine anyone rising to Javon's level in the regular season or Tramaine's in the post-season. Hopefully that's the case though. French and Goodwin certainly have the ability to - those just seemed like special/senior performances. 

agreed, but having a few players really step up also fills that. 

For me, hargrove is the x factor.  He'll be asked to do a lot as a frosh.  I just think the two 7 footers wont be ready yet for big time minutes, and French is gonna need front court help. 

15 hours ago, Compton said:

I am hoping Perkins will fill the Bess role and Lewis the Isabell role.  Our freshmen playing at DJ Foreman’s level might be the role we cannot replace.

willie likes this

43 minutes ago, CBFan said:

I am hoping Perkins will fill the Bess role and Lewis the Isabell role.  Our freshmen playing at DJ Foreman’s level might be the role we cannot replace.

Dead on & having two huge bigs at Center helps in making up for the loss of DJ...this is the plan, whether it happens only time will tell...so many variables.

4 hours ago, CBFan said:

I think Perkins filling "the Bess role" is more of a stretch than the freshmen bigs replacing DJ's production, but both are unlikely.  Perkins may be able to fill a some of the void Bess left on offense, but I highly doubt he'll be as good on defense as Bess.

The truth is that in order for us to be as good as we were last year we are going to need the returning guys to take a step forward as well as contributions from the newcomers.  Filling the wholes left by the departing seniors will be a team effort.

Compton and CBFan like this

6 hours ago, CBFan said:

I was a huge DJ fan.  I defended him many times on this board when others trashed him. However, his numbers were, hmmm, ok, at 6.1 ppg an 4.3 rpg.  In conference, about the same 5.9/4.2.  That's 3 baskets and 4 rebounds we hope to get from the combo of Bell and Diarra. DJ was a decent on ball defender.  But his 18 blocks weren't all that many for a power player with his minutes. One DJ block every two games; I hope the duo can top that. 

Numbers wise, I think that the combo of Bell and Diarra can match what DJ gave us.  Likely one will rise above the other, but I anticipate both will see significant minute. I agree that the 'level of play' might not be the same as with DJ, but the numbers might be just as good.  I do have questions whether they can guard Langevine, Golden and Osunniyi but guarding those guys isn't easy for anyone.

38 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

VCU signed a Top 100 guard for next season.  That should keep them on top in A10 preseason polls. For those who care (talking to you Glory) he is a 4 star.

The kid's offers really don't match his ranking.  And his ranking history is pretty weird. A year ago he was top 100, then he dropped out of the top 300 and only to shoot up 270 spots over the last two months.