A10 Preview 2019-2020

Pistol

All of the above could be true. It's just that the older you get, the lower your draft stock is.

Sitting out a year now would be tough to swallow. Might be worth the gamble, tough, given how bad St. Joe's will be for a while.

I'd lean toward staying this year, trying to show out on a terrible team, and going the grad transfer route if the NBA isn't available in 2020.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Pistol said:

All of the above could be true. It's just that the older you get, the lower your draft stock is.

Sitting out a year now would be tough to swallow. Might be worth the gamble, tough, given how bad St. Joe's will be for a while.

I'd lean toward staying this year, trying to show out on a terrible team, and going the grad transfer route if the NBA isn't available in 2020.

Transfer now, get eligibility waiver because coach got fired

3 minutes ago, GBL_Bills said:

Transfer now, get eligibility waiver because coach got fired

NCAA is  handing out waivers like Halloween candy. I’d enter the transfer portal AND declare for NBA hoping to get an evaluation. Why not?  

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

NCAA is  handing out waivers like Halloween candy. I’d enter the transfer portal AND declare for NBA hoping to get an evaluation. Why not?  

why not?  because all these guys think they are good enough right now and their entourage, who doesnt have anyone's best interest but their own, tells him what he wants to hear.   i am not saying this specifically for charlie brown, i am saying the underclassman in general who isnt a lottery pick.  

On 3/29/2019 at 1:15 PM, Pistol said:

Link?

Looking at the conference's outgoing transfers so far this season, I don't think I'd adjust my tiers at all. Most are coming from mid-to-bottom teams and if they're coming from better teams, they weren't major contributors.

3/28/2019 - Rhode Island 2016 C Michael Tertsea (6-10, 225, 3★) | Position Rank: 37 will be transferring. - Per Jeff Goodman, Stadium

3/27/2019 - George Washington 2017 SG Terry Nolan, Jr. (6-2, 175, 2★) will be transferring. - Per Evan Daniels, 247

3/27/2019 - St. Bonaventure JUCO PF Melkisedek Moreaux (6-8, 195, 2★) will be transferring. - Per Jeff Goodman, Stadium

3/27/2019 - Davidson 2015 PF Dusan Kovacevic (6-10, 245, 3★) will be transferring. - Per Jeff Goodman, Stadium

3/27/2019 - La Salle 2017 PF Miles Brookins (6-8, 210, 3★) | Position Rank: 36 will be transferring. - Per Jeff Goodman, Stadium

3/26/2019 - La Salle 2015 PG Traci Carter (6-0, 175, 4★) | Overall Rank: 150 | Position Rank: /player_rankings/2015/position/1 will be transferring. - Per Jeff Goodman, Stadium

3/26/2019 - St. Bonaventure 2017 SF Tshiefu Ngalakulondi (6-6, 210, 2★) will be transferring.

3/26/2019 - Dayton 2017 SG Jordan Davis (6-3, 186, 3★) will be transferring.

3/25/2019 - George Washington 2018 C Marcus Littles (6-9, 258, 3.5★) will be transferring. - Per Jeff Goodman, Stadium

3/25/2019 - George Washington 2018 PG Shandon Brown (5-10, 145, 2★) will be transferring. - Per Jeff Goodman, Stadium

3/25/2019 - La Salle 2016 C Cian Sullivan (7-2, 215, 2★) will be transferring.

3/24/2019 - Massachusetts 2015 SG LuWane Pipkins (5-11, 165, 3.3★) | Overall Rank: 152 | Position Rank: /player_rankings/2015/position/2 will be transferring to Providence.

3/23/2019 - Massachusetts 2018 PG Tre' Wood (6-0, -, 2★) will be transferring.

4/8/2019 - VCU 2017 PF Sean Mobley (6-8, 235, 3.3★) will be transferring. - Per Evan Daniels, 247
4/8/2019 - Duquesne 2018 PF Gavin Bizeau (6-11, 210, 4★) will be transferring. - Per Sarah Spencer, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
4/8/2019 - Duquesne 2018 PG Brandon Wade (6-2, 180, 2★) will be transferring. - Per Sarah Spencer, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
4/8/2019 - Duquesne 2017 SG Eric Williams, Jr. (6-5, 175, 2★) will be transferring.
4/4/2019 - Dayton 2017 SG Jordan Davis (6-3, 186, 3★) will be transferring to Middle Tennessee.
4/2/2019 - Saint Joseph's 2015 PG LaMarr Kimble (6-0, 197, 3★) will be transferring. - Per Jeff Goodman, Stadium

Updates. There’s a good chance the guys that sit a year will move again as GTs after they obtain their degree. So for the 2017 players only expect one year at their next school. 

Duquesne also got 2 commitments yesterday. I don't know the background there about which of those 3 transfers might have been pushed out, but to have replacement commitments so quickly sure makes it look like at least 1 of them was already on the way out. I'm guessing Wade had that difficult conversation, not sure about Bizeau, and I would guess Williams was a surprise.

April 6 Pittsburgh Sports Now.

In the last 24 hours, the Duquesne men’s basketball team has gone through some changes.

Earlier this morning, we told you that both sophomore guard Eric Williams and freshman guard Brandon Wade have decided to enter the NCAA transfer portal.

While technically it’s possible that both can return, PSN has been told that won’t happen and both will play elsewhere next season.

Pittsburgh Sports Now has learned of a few other upcoming moves to the Duquesne roster.

A source tells me that freshman forward Gavin Bizeau from Plainfield, Indiana will also be entering the transfer portal within the next couple of days. Bizeau played in 20 games this season and averaged 5.5 minutes, 1.3 points and 0.7 rebounds per game.

The bottom-line with this decision, is that it was going to be difficult for Bizeau to earn minutes in the future and this is a move that will benefit him in the long run.

MORE ROSTER MOVES COMING?

This likely won’t be the last departure.

Although I won’t mention his name right now, PSN is told that it’s very likely another player will be announcing his decision to transfer. While it’s not 100% certain, I’m told that in all likelihood it’ll be announced very soon.

These players leaving means that Keith Dambrot will have a chance to add to his 2019-20 roster.

Look for Duquesne to pick up a commitment from a 2019 recruit possibly later today or tomorrow. He’s a senior that the staff has been scouting and recruiting for months now. I’m also told that there’s a good chance that they also get a commitment from a guard on the East coast within the week.

Pistol likes this

19 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Duquesne also got 2 commitments yesterday. I don't know the background there about which of those 3 transfers might have been pushed out, but to have replacement commitments so quickly sure makes it look like at least 1 of them was already on the way out. I'm guessing Wade had that difficult conversation, not sure about Bizeau, and I would guess Williams was a surprise.

One of the commits is buddies with Jimerson.

3 hours ago, Pistol said:

Wade?  Or Dambrot?

I can understand the Dayton transfers since they have 3 transfers becoming eligible this season. All 3 as I understand came from P5 schools. Big question for the Flyers will be how quickly Grant can mold them into a unit. Takes a while for coaches to put the puzzle together. Although, Beard did a pretty good job of it at TxTech.

3 hours ago, slu72 said:

I can understand the Dayton transfers since they have 3 transfers becoming eligible this season. All 3 as I understand came from P5 schools. Big question for the Flyers will be how quickly Grant can mold them into a unit. Takes a while for coaches to put the puzzle together. Although, Beard did a pretty good job of it at TxTech.

Owens and mooney are high IQ players, which helps a lot obviously. 

Being a college coach is so much harder now than it was before this explosion of transfers.  Now, coaches like Coach Ford have to recruit high school kids, recruit JUCOs, recruit their own players to stay each year, recruit one year sit out transfers, and recruit grad transfers.  It's not just all the recruiting that occurs, but the planning that has to go into it.  Should coaches count  on losing guys when recruiting from elsewhere?  Should coaches push kids that don't stack up to transfer elsewhere?  How will their current recruiting affect their available scholarships in future years?  When you need to fill a spot, is it best to fill it with a high school kids, JUCO, one year sit out transfer, or grad transfer?  How will your current players and other kids you are recruiting react to you bringing kids that are one of these options?  These seem to be things that coaches didn't have to worry about, or worry as much about, twenty years ago.