A10 Preview 2019-2020

Pistol

I know this has been talked about here and there but I couldn't find a thread with a conversation devoted to it. Sure, it's probably too soon right now but I started digging and it's on my mind. I started looking at the A10 picture for next season and it's going to be a huge step up across the board. 6th place and an NIT berth might be a realistic goal for SLU next season.

Here's what the league looks like (pending transfers and any other firings) in terms of tiers:

Solid:

VCU - Year three under Mike Rhoades. The team that just won the A10 with a 16-2 record graduates two guys who averaged less than 3 points combined. They'll have a 5-man senior class led by their top two scorers, Marcus Evans and De'Riante Jenkins. There's a drop-off after the top four, but they play a 9-man rotation and they'll all be back unless someone transfers unexpectedly. They've got one guy signed and no scholarships to give. This is basically the same team next season with another year of experience.

Davidson - Year 31 under Bob McKillop, who just signed a five-year contract extension. They only graduate Nathan Ekwu, the guy just outside the 6-man rotation. Assuming Kellan Grady returns - and it looks like he will, as he went from potential NBA first rounder to disappearing from mock drafts altogether - they keep the entire 6-man rotation intact, including Grady and CPOY Jon Axel Gudmundsson. They've got one commitment and two scholarships to give, which is pretty typical for a program that's about half international players who are more likely to sign in the spring. Assuming Grady returns and plays more consistently, Davidson will be even better next season.

Dayton - Year three under Anthony Grant. UD had a losing record in his first season and made the leap to 21 wins and an NIT appearance in year two. They graduate Josh Cunningham but Obi Toppin is talking like he's going to return and put off the NBA for another year. They've also got four transfers who will be eligible next season. With one guy signed and no scholarships to give, they're full unless someone transfers. So they're losing a top-two guy but gaining a ton of depth and experience.

Duquesne - Year three under Keith Dambrot, who is quickly becoming one of the best coaches in the league. They outperformed expectations all year before losing three straight to end the season, but they don't have any scholarship players graduating, and none who will be seniors next year. With five sophomores and seven freshmen, there is the possibility of a transfer or two still this year. They've got one guy signed and no open scholarships at the moment. If they can keep the core together, this is an even tougher team in 2019-2020.

Rhode Island - Year two under David Cox. They were the only .500 team in conference this year and now they graduate their 8th and 10th leading scorers. The 9th guy, freshman Omar Silverio (who had a SLU offer), is transferring. Barring any other transfers, they return the top 7 players and a sneaky good freshman class that should continue to improve. Dowtin and Langevine will be seniors, and Fatts Russell will somehow only be a junior. They have two redshirts who'll be eligible in the fall, a freshman and a Georgetown transfer (Antwan Walker, a former SLU offer who was dismissed from GU). They've got two wings signed and one scholarship to give. This will be a strong squad.

Question Marks:

Saint Louis - Year four under Travis Ford and we'll see yet another year of serious roster turnover, with only five returning players. Five guys are signed, four freshman and a juco junior, and three open scholarships remain. Those are big. There's plenty of talent but it remains to be seen how good the newcomers are and how well the team will come together. Basically: a lot like this season but a younger team in a stronger conference.

Richmond - Year 15 under Chris Mooney, as confirmed yesterday by the school, despite mounting pressure from Richmond fans. On paper, they're a strong pick to make a leap because Gilyard and Golden will be juniors and their talented 5-man freshman class will have a year of experience under their belts. They only graduate a guy who was the 7th or 8th player off the bench, they've got a Wagner transfer becoming eligble in the fall, and they've got one guy signed with at least one more scholarship open. If they can keep the roster together and the noise to a minimum, they could be sneaky good.

George Mason - Year five under Dave Paulsen. Mason was a hot pick as an A10 title contender in the preseason, then got off to a disastrous start in non-conference play before putting together a respectable A10 record (11-7). They graduate Livingston, one of the best PGs in the league, but return everyone else. They've got two guys signed, a big and a PG, and they just got a commitment this week from a guy who goes by "Daddy" (Bahaide Haidara). If the roster holds, they're all set for the fall.

St. Bonaventure - Year 13 under Mark Schmidt, now the winningest coach in school history. This was the streakiest team in the A10 all season and underachieved in non-conference play before finishing 12-6 and fourth in the conference. They graduate their first (Courtney Stockard) and third (LaDarien Griffin) scorers along with the senior PG (Nelson Kaputo) who was already being edged out by talented freshman and second-leading scorer Kyle Lofton. They have a Mt. St. Mary's transfer becoming eligible, another juco commitment, and a signed freshman, with two scholarships to give. Lofton and Osun Osunniyi were two of the best freshmen in the league and Dominick Welch wasn't far behind. If they can keep the class together and use the remaining two scholarships well, this is an intriguing team.

Rebuilds:

UMass - Year three under Matt McCall, and it's a big one. UMass has finished 13th in the A10 in back-to-back seasons and needs to make a leap or I have to think McCall's job will be in trouble. Holloway is the only guy graduating, but Luwane Pipkins, Kieran Hayward, and Unique McLean have already announced they'll be transferring. They were oversubscribed so one or more of them may have been on the way out for quite a while, and they still have a scholarship to give. It's hard to see where they have the personnel to make much of a leap next season, especially given the relative strength of the league.

LaSalle - Year two under Ashley Howard. Pookie Powell graduates. Two players signed, one commitment. They look like talented HS players. They had a brutal non-conference schedule this season so I'd expect their overall record to improve but a similar A10 record.

Fordham - Year five under Jeff Neubauer. Perpetual rebuild. Bunting and Pekarek graduate, and a senior transfer will become eligible. It'll be interesting to see if the 6-man freshman class stays intact because that's where most of the talent is. They've got one big signed and two open scholarships.

George Washington - Year one under a TBD coach. They don't graduate anybody but with a new coach coming in, I'd imagine there will be some roster turnover and possible loss of the two signed players. They've struggled since Lonergan was booted, and now it looks like he may have been fired under questionable circumstances. I'm seeing that John Thompson III is a leading candidate and that would be a home run.

St. Joe's - Year one under a TBD coach. Biggest disappointment in the A10 this year because of injuries and underperformance. Lodge, Muggeo, and Clover graduate, and the big question is whether Brown stays or goes; that'll be the first item of business for whoever the new coach is. I imagine there will be some other roster turnover, as well, including the two signed players.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This list of A10 transfers will change daily.  (This is off of the A 10 board.)

197 total transfers

Leaving: (rotation player)

Duquesne-Michael Lewis II to Nevada;Leonard Randall II to UT Martin

George Mason-Jaire Grayer

George Washington-Chris Sodom to Iowa Western CC

UMASS-Jaylen Franklin, Unique McLean, LuWane Pipkins, Curtis Cobb

Richmond-Bryce Schneider to Nova Southeastern

URI -  Omar Silverio

Saint Louis-Carte'Are Gordon to DePaul

Arriving:

Dayton: Chase Johnson from Florida

URI: Antwan Walker from Georgetown

What's the differenfe between bold and non-bold?

Also, the "arriving" - are those brand new ones or the guys who will be eligible in the fall? Because there are a lot more sitting this year who will be eligible in 2019-2020.

18 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I know this has been talked about here and there but I couldn't find a thread with a conversation devoted to it. Sure, it's probably too soon right now but I started digging and it's on my mind.

I agree - too soon. As your tagline says, Don't Stop The Party. Perhaps this should be tabled until the Bills finish this season, hopefully on April 8.

3 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

St Bonaventure is in the solid category until Mark Schmidt proves otherwise. He lost a lot more last year and the Bonnies still finished top 4 in the conference. He's got the best collection of guards going into next year (again) and a legitimate big returning. Best coach in the conference.

Of the mid-tier teams, they're the one I felt should be the strongest. But I figured losing two of the top three guys, they have more to prove than others in the top tier.

2 minutes ago, juniorbill76 said:

I agree - too soon. As your tagline says, Don't Stop The Party. Perhaps this should be tabled until the Bills finish this season, hopefully on April 8.

Ha. I'm fine sitting on it until it makes more sense. I just had some curiosity and more free time at work than I've had in weeks.

53 minutes ago, Pistol said:

What's the differenfe between bold and non-bold?

Also, the "arriving" - are those brand new ones or the guys who will be eligible in the fall? Because there are a lot more sitting this year who will be eligible in 2019-2020.

The bold is what the author calls rotational players the new ones have to be newly committed this year, not those already sitting in the bench ( except mid year). 

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

St Bonaventure is in the solid category until Mark Schmidt proves otherwise. He lost a lot more last year and the Bonnies still finished top 4 in the conference. He's got the best collection of guards going into next year (again) and a legitimate big returning. Best coach in the conference.

This is a money post. I see them right up there w/Davidson, URI, and Duquesne. The A10 is gonna be a bar fight next year. It will be interesting to see how everyone does in the OOC.

On 3/20/2019 at 3:37 PM, Pistol said:

I know this has been talked about here and there but I couldn't find a thread with a conversation devoted to it. Sure, it's probably too soon right now but I started digging and it's on my mind. I started looking at the A10 picture for next season and it's going to be a huge step up across the board. 6th place and an NIT berth might be a realistic goal for SLU next season.

Here's what the league looks like (pending transfers and any other firings) in terms of tiers:

Solid:

VCU - Year three under Mike Rhoades. The team that just won the A10 with a 16-2 record graduates two guys who averaged less than 3 points combined. They'll have a 5-man senior class led by their top two scorers, Marcus Evans and De'Riante Jenkins. There's a drop-off after the top four, but they play a 9-man rotation and they'll all be back unless someone transfers unexpectedly. They've got one guy signed and no scholarships to give. This is basically the same team next season with another year of experience.

Davidson - Year 31 under Bob McKillop, who just signed a five-year contract extension. They only graduate Nathan Ekwu, the guy just outside the 6-man rotation. Assuming Kellan Grady returns - and it looks like he will, as he went from potential NBA first rounder to disappearing from mock drafts altogether - they keep the entire 6-man rotation intact, including Grady and CPOY Jon Axel Gudmundsson. They've got one commitment and two scholarships to give, which is pretty typical for a program that's about half international players who are more likely to sign in the spring. Assuming Grady returns and plays more consistently, Davidson will be even better next season.

Dayton - Year three under Anthony Grant. UD had a losing record in his first season and made the leap to 21 wins and an NIT appearance in year two. They graduate Josh Cunningham but Obi Toppin is talking like he's going to return and put off the NBA for another year. They've also got four transfers who will be eligible next season. With one guy signed and no scholarships to give, they're full unless someone transfers. So they're losing a top-two guy but gaining a ton of depth and experience.

Duquesne - Year three under Keith Dambrot, who is quickly becoming one of the best coaches in the league. They outperformed expectations all year before losing three straight to end the season, but they don't have any scholarship players graduating, and none who will be seniors next year. With five sophomores and seven freshmen, there is the possibility of a transfer or two still this year. They've got one guy signed and no open scholarships at the moment. If they can keep the core together, this is an even tougher team in 2019-2020.

Rhode Island - Year two under David Cox. They were the only .500 team in conference this year and now they graduate their 8th and 10th leading scorers. The 9th guy, freshman Omar Silverio (who had a SLU offer), is transferring. Barring any other transfers, they return the top 7 players and a sneaky good freshman class that should continue to improve. Dowtin and Langevine will be seniors, and Fatts Russell will somehow only be a junior. They have two redshirts who'll be eligible in the fall, a freshman and a Georgetown transfer (Antwan Walker, a former SLU offer who was dismissed from GU). They've got two wings signed and one scholarship to give. This will be a strong squad.

Question Marks:

Saint Louis - Year four under Travis Ford and we'll see yet another year of serious roster turnover, with only five returning players. Five guys are signed, four freshman and a juco junior, and three open scholarships remain. Those are big. There's plenty of talent but it remains to be seen how good the newcomers are and how well the team will come together. Basically: a lot like this season but a younger team in a stronger conference.

Richmond - Year 15 under Chris Mooney, as confirmed yesterday by the school, despite mounting pressure from Richmond fans. On paper, they're a strong pick to make a leap because Gilyard and Golden will be juniors and their talented 5-man freshman class will have a year of experience under their belts. They only graduate a guy who was the 7th or 8th player off the bench, they've got a Wagner transfer becoming eligble in the fall, and they've got one guy signed with at least one more scholarship open. If they can keep the roster together and the noise to a minimum, they could be sneaky good.

George Mason - Year five under Dave Paulsen. Mason was a hot pick as an A10 title contender in the preseason, then got off to a disastrous start in non-conference play before putting together a respectable A10 record (11-7). They graduate Livingston, one of the best PGs in the league, but return everyone else. They've got two guys signed, a big and a PG, and they just got a commitment this week from a guy who goes by "Daddy" (Bahaide Haidara). If the roster holds, they're all set for the fall.

St. Bonaventure - Year 13 under Mark Schmidt, now the winningest coach in school history. This was the streakiest team in the A10 all season and underachieved in non-conference play before finishing 12-6 and fourth in the conference. They graduate their first (Courtney Stockard) and third (LaDarien Griffin) scorers along with the senior PG (Nelson Kaputo) who was already being edged out by talented freshman and second-leading scorer Kyle Lofton. They have a Mt. St. Mary's transfer becoming eligible, another juco commitment, and a signed freshman, with two scholarships to give. Lofton and Osun Osunniyi were two of the best freshmen in the league and Dominick Welch wasn't far behind. If they can keep the class together and use the remaining two scholarships well, this is an intriguing team.

Rebuilds:

UMass - Year three under Matt McCall, and it's a big one. UMass has finished 13th in the A10 in back-to-back seasons and needs to make a leap or I have to think McCall's job will be in trouble. Holloway is the only guy graduating, but Luwane Pipkins, Kieran Hayward, and Unique McLean have already announced they'll be transferring. They were oversubscribed so one or more of them may have been on the way out for quite a while, and they still have a scholarship to give. It's hard to see where they have the personnel to make much of a leap next season, especially given the relative strength of the league.

LaSalle - Year two under Ashley Howard. Pookie Powell graduates. Two players signed, one commitment. They look like talented HS players. They had a brutal non-conference schedule this season so I'd expect their overall record to improve but a similar A10 record.

Fordham - Year five under Jeff Neubauer. Perpetual rebuild. Bunting and Pekarek graduate, and a senior transfer will become eligible. It'll be interesting to see if the 6-man freshman class stays intact because that's where most of the talent is. They've got one big signed and two open scholarships.

George Washington - Year one under a TBD coach. They don't graduate anybody but with a new coach coming in, I'd imagine there will be some roster turnover and possible loss of the two signed players. They've struggled since Lonergan was booted, and now it looks like he may have been fired under questionable circumstances. I'm seeing that John Thompson III is a leading candidate and that would be a home run.

St. Joe's - Year one under a TBD coach. Biggest disappointment in the A10 this year because of injuries and underperformance. Lodge, Muggeo, and Clover graduate, and the big question is whether Brown stays or goes; that'll be the first item of business for whoever the new coach is. I imagine there will be some other roster turnover, as well, including the two signed players.

SLU has 4 signed and a commit.  Commits change their minds ..... hopefully Bell is solid.

If Collins steps up as a big time contributor from the point, I think next year's team could legitimately compete for the A10 tourney title again (and get into the NCAA if we go on another run...). It's a lot to ask from a freshman, but he's the type of PG and true playmaker that we sorely lacked this season. 

Goodwin and Thatch will need to really improve their offensive games, but I have no doubt that they will. Can really only go up from here for the both of them. Perkins will be a big time scorer for us. Jimmerson may be an X factor, players like him don't usually come to SLU. 

Bell is interesting. Could be a huge defensive force to spell French, but I'm suspecting he is a pretty raw player who will be a project for the next season or two. 

And you can't forgot about Hargrove. The young man is just an absolute beast, and will probably put up some of the best numbers we've seen for a freshman. He's the kind of player on other teams that usually eats Billikens for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. 

Can't wait to see how Ford fills out the rest of the roster. A10 will be really tough, just looking at Pistol's analysis. If teams all play well in non-conference, we could be looking at a 3-4 bid conference next year, maybe more. 

With the P5s going to expanded conf schedules, I wonder how difficult it's going to make scheduling P5 teams. 

Some other ?s: Does the A10 - MW challenge begin this upcoming season? 

Why are we having trouble getting into a good preseason or Holiday tourney? Someone posted a while back that most of these have filled up their fields already, and we weren't listed. 

Does Seton Hall owe us a game at the Fetz? 

Is that ACC -A10 deal over next season? 

2 hours ago, slu72 said:

With the P5s going to expanded conf schedules, I wonder how difficult it's going to make scheduling P5 teams. 

Some other ?s: Does the A10 - MW challenge begin this upcoming season? 

Why are we having trouble getting into a good preseason or Holiday tourney? Someone posted a while back that most of these have filled up their fields already, and we weren't listed. 

Does Seton Hall owe us a game at the Fetz? 

Is that ACC -A10 deal over next season? 

1.  Covered a few times in the Coach's Radio Show thread.  Read what Coach said.

2. No

3. Covered a few times in the Coach's Radio Show Thread. They are working on it.

4. Yes.  Coach mentioned this on his Radio Show. Check the thread.

5. Don't know anything about it.

On 3/20/2019 at 2:37 PM, Pistol said:

Solid:

Question Marks:

Rebuilds:

I thought Perkins was going to be sophomore next year.

3/26/2019 - St. Bonaventure 2017 SF Tshiefu Ngalakulondi (6-6, 210, 2★) will be transferring.
3/26/2019 - Dayton 2017 SG Jordan Davis (6-3, 186, 3★) will be transferring.
3/25/2019 - George Washington 2018 C Marcus Littles (6-9, 258, 3.5★) will be transferring. - Per Jeff Goodman, Stadium
3/25/2019 - George Washington 2018 PG Shandon Brown (5-10, 145, 2★) will be transferring. - Per Jeff Goodman, Stadium
3/25/2019 - La Salle 2016 C Cian Sullivan (7-2, 215, 2★) will be transferring.
3/24/2019 - Massachusetts 2015 SG LuWane Pipkins (5-11, 165, 3.3★) | Overall Rank: 152 | Position Rank: /player_rankings/2015/position/2 will be transferring to Providence.
3/23/2019 - Massachusetts 2018 PG Tre' Wood (6-0, -, 2★) will be transferring.
3/20/2019 - Richmond 2015 PG Keith Oddo (6-1, 185, 2★) will be transferring.
3/20/2019 - Massachusetts 2015 SG Curtis Cobb (6-4, 175, 3★) | Position Rank: 47 will be transferring.
3/20/2019 - Massachusetts 2016 SG Kieran Hayward (6-4, 195, 2★) will be transferring. - Per Jeff Goodman, Stadium
3/19/2019 - Rhode Island 2018 SG Omar Silverio (6-3, 173, 2★) will be transferring. - Per William Geoghegan, The Independent
3/19/2019 - La Salle 2017 PG Jamir Moultrie (6-2, 175, 3★) | Position Rank: 54 will be transferring.

Taken from Verbal Commits Transfer list.

Dayton loses Davis, interesting.  He must think with his shooting slump this year, Watson, Chatman and Matos will replace him.  I can see Chatman replacing Crutcher at the point and moving Crutcher over to shooting guard.  Nice dilemma to have.

One more today.  Remember, this is the guy GloryDays, or was it TRavTFord, highly recommended we sign transferring out of Marquette.  Guess we have a second opportunity.  He didn't do much at Marquette or LaSalle, but he is a 4* and had great AAU stats.  What do you think, Glory, or TRav, or whatever.  Can't miss or never will be?

3/26/2019 - La Salle 2015 PG Traci Carter (6-0, 175, 4★) | Overall Rank: 150 | Position Rank: /player_rankings/2015/position/1 will be transferring. - Per Jeff Goodman, Stadium