Jordan Goodwin is a Special Player

13 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Yes it will. This idea that shooting a lot of shots per day if your shot is flawed won't help is nonsense. It may prevent you from being a great shooter but there are a lot of decent shooters with flawed mechanics. Practice will make you better. 

Hope you are right, my coaching  experience  says otherwise 

BIG BILL FAN likes this

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Yes it will. This idea that shooting a lot of shots per day if your shot is flawed won't help is nonsense. It may prevent you from being a great shooter but there are a lot of decent shooters with flawed mechanics. Practice will make you better. 

As if Goodwin and Hasahn aren’t practicing free throws? Come on.

we will agree to disagree skip.   practice will make you better if you are doing things correctly.  if you practice bad mechanics it will get worse.   as dennis noted, if there is a problem that needs to be corrected first then practice away.  

5 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

we will agree to disagree skip.   practice will make you better if you are doing things correctly.  if you practice bad mechanics it will get worse.   as dennis noted, if there is a problem that needs to be corrected first then practice away.  

I'm not saying don't try to correct flaws however, repetition will make you better. It will give you better feel and a more consistent shot which will absolutely make you better. My post clearly said you may not become great but you can be a decent shooter with flawed mechanics. 

So my question would be do all great shooters shoot the ball exactly the same? Is there one perfect way to shoot? The answer to both those questions is no. 

Not trying to post a resume but I've done private shooting lessons with kids for years from grade school through HS to a college player. Every player is different. Some players no matter how much I try and tweak their form never get it perfect or to be what I'd really like to see. However, they become decent shooters nonetheless. Why? because they practice, they put in the work. Their flawed shot becomes better and more consistent. 

Shooting 500 shots a day isn't going to make what a Jr in college already does any harder to change later on down the road. 

Shooting mechanics are a lot like the golf swing. Lots of different far from perfect golf swings have been big winners on the tour. It's repetition that really aids the ability to hit good shots. For example, do you think Jim Furyck wants to work on perfect mechanics at this point? And that's one of the funkiest swings I've ever seen. There are some basics, however, that can't be ignored. In shooting it's be square to the basket. Shoulders, hips, and legs. Other than that, not much else you can do w/o totally screwing up the player's confidence. JGood's form looks good. But it sounds like a lot of his scoring in HS came from around the basket, so maybe he didn't feel the need to crank up 500 jumpers a day. He might want to rethink that these days. 

willie and rgbilliken like this

57 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Shooting mechanics are a lot like the golf swing. Lots of different far from perfect golf swings have been big winners on the tour. It's repetition that really aids the ability to hit good shots. For example, do you think Jim Furyck wants to work on perfect mechanics at this point? And that's one of the funkiest swings I've ever seen. There are some basics, however, that can't be ignored. In shooting it's be square to the basket. Shoulders, hips, and legs. Other than that, not much else you can do w/o totally screwing up the player's confidence. JGood's form looks good. But it sounds like a lot of his scoring in HS came from around the basket, so maybe he didn't feel the need to crank up 500 jumpers a day. He might want to rethink that these days. 

There's a school of thought especially for big guys with broader shoulders that it's better to have their body angled slightly, so a right handed shooter turns slightly left. They need to stretch to get their elbow lined up with the basket. As you rotate your body it becomes easier to get the line from your shoulder to your elbow lined up with the basket. 

The biggest issue with Goodwins shooting (in my opinion) is that his release is not consistent. This is notable particularly on free throws. When his release is right, it goes in. I think some of this is because he wasn’t a big shooter coming up through high school and AAU and I think a major factor is confidence.

dennis_w likes this

27 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

There's a school of thought especially for big guys with broader shoulders that it's better to have their body angled slightly, so a right handed shooter turns slightly left. They need to stretch to get their elbow lined up with the basket. As you rotate your body it becomes easier to get the line from your shoulder to your elbow lined up with the basket. 

I'll defer to the teacher.