Jordan Goodwin is a Special Player

With more games to play, Jordan Goodwin currently sits in 5th place on the Billiken Single Season Steals record list, all classes.  H had the best season with 74 steals, Bonner is second with 70, J. Luechtefeld and Hughes tied with 69 and then Goodwin sitting with 64.  

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To be certain, I never said Jordan needed anything to be NBA ready, that was sheltiedave coming to my defense.  I don't give a rat's butt about the NBA, I only care about Saint Louis University.  I would root for Jordan as I did Hughes and Bonner and Reed if he were to make the NBA but that is not my gold standard by any stretch. I am looking to certain numbers to improve to indicate advancement and improvement, and they rest in shooting %s and turnovers, for the most part.  Turnovers isn't really fair because it doesn't measure the confidence one would have in bringing the ball up.  And maybe next year, in late game situations, that's Yuri Collins or Jacobs.  Who knows.  But it can't remain as it was this year because there will be no Bess, no Isabell next year.  I saw JG running away from the ball late because I believe he was flustered with his own FT%s.  And that is not what a point guard does. 

You want to trade 'tweaks' for 'tons'.  Okay -- go ahead.  You'll be wrong, but at least you'll be happy with the semantics. 

Why single out Jordan?  Because he is the future coming back and going forward.  We will only go as far as he carries us.  If Jordan improves, SLU improves.  And given what we know is coming back, this is the central figure in the story.

Everything he's been through?  All those guys got hung out to dry by the school's administration no doubt.  I applaud the kid for not following Bishop and Graves into a change of scenery and am thankful he stayed the course.  But that crap was in the rear view mirror in August.  Stay out of stupid situations.

Finally, my fix ----- Jordan Goodwin does a lot of things right, has the only triple-double in school history, but has no chance at the NBA without better shots and better handles.  And I'm damn glad we have him.

TAj did not say tweaks because JG needs tons of work to hit and stick in the NBA. 

He needs an nba handle. 

He needs to hit 80% FTs.

He Needs to hit above 38% from 3 pt land.

He needs to be at 50%+ in 2 pt land.

His only hope is as a shooting combo guard, because he never will be an nba pg.

These all represent a vast body of work to accomplish, and to not say otherwise, or to phrase it as “tweaks,” is trying to blow sunshine up the ole rectal cavity.

JG hit close to the FT level in hs, and added strength will help his 2pt %. The 3pt % and handle are his biggest challenges.

3 hours ago, Sheltiedave said:

CTA, I would tell Goodwin all the areas he needs to improve, almost like TAj did, as did his dad,as did Ford. The picture frame may be slightly different, but the picture is the same. As long as the message is delivered out of love, and not hate, it will be well received by mature players.

One would be aces + in the maturity graph not to feel the hate around here sometimes. I'm sure one Jolly player from the past not likely to be all smiles at a MBM meet n greet.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

With more games to play, Jordan Goodwin currently sits in 5th place on the Billiken Single Season Steals record list, all classes.  H had the best season with 74 steals, Bonner is second with 70, J. Luechtefeld and Hughes tied with 69 and then Goodwin sitting with 64.  

If we readdress him moving up this chart later we will be in some kind of rarefied air. fingers crossed

10 minutes ago, almaman said:

If we readdress him moving up this chart later we will be in some kind of rarefied air. fingers crossed

The name that surprised me on the list is Jeff Luech.  I don't recall him as being one who was that crafty on defense.

20 minutes ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Again everytime some 50+ mbm comments on Goodwin. This is exactly what I see. You never were on his level in your prime when he was in high school. 

C66F8EA4-20C8-4037-8DDE-7646B70C0196.jpeg

Thanks for the insult.  BTW, we didn't have remote controls 'back then'.  We had to actually get up off the couch to turn the channel. You need to get a better picture.

13 minutes ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Again everytime some 50+ mbm comments on Goodwin. This is exactly what I see. You never were on his level in your prime when he was in high school. 

-if you are going to throw daggers you might want to learn how to structure a sentence

CTA, speak for yourself.

Your lack of knowledge regarding others’ atheletic abilities is only exceeded by your singularly outstanding trait of superiority.

Maybe you can apply to become a moderator. You know, a few tweaks, buy Strunk and White’s writing guide, and be all you can be.

1 hour ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

This is just stupid. So anyone who wasn't a high level D1 athlete can't critique a player? I said I was disappointed  by Jordan's play this year. I expected more. I stand by that and his play in the tourney just reinforced my opinion. Doesn't mean I don't like him, or I wish he wasn't a Bill. In fact it's the opposite. I love him and love that he's a Bill. I had high expectations and despite the fact I don't think he lived up to how good I thought he'd be. I believe he will before it's all said and done

slufan13 likes this

While the criticism of Taj's title probably should settle to rest by now, I'll just say that if he had clarified "need tons of work" with "on his shot" or "on the following two things," then I doubt anyone would have had a problem.  But without that, it makes it look like he's a flawed player who's far from being a star.

RUBillsFan likes this

17 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

While the criticism of Taj's title probably should settle to rest by now, I'll just say that if he had clarified "need tons of work" with "on his shot" or "on the following two things," then I doubt anyone would have had a problem.  But without that, it makes it look like he's a flawed player who's far from being a star.

Exactly 

10 hours ago, ACE said:

I think we can all agree the tons of work line is ridiculous. But what JG does need to improve on for next year is get his free throw percentage back around 70%, boost his 3-point % to around 33% and icing on the cake would be to develop a more consistent stop and pop off the dribble mid-range shot like Bess did very well.  I think those are realistic goals - if he does that, now we're looking at the 1st Team All-Conference/potential A-10 player of the year that we all think he has the potential to become. 

I agree with you. I could be wrong, but his foul shooting seemed to get worse as the season progressed. Like he had the yips. I am confident that, at least, his foul shooting will be much better next year.

2 hours ago, David King said:

I agree with you. I could be wrong, but his foul shooting seemed to get worse as the season progressed. Like he had the yips. I am confident that, at least, his foul shooting will be much better next year.

Not sure what the yips are - but I agree. 😃He didn’t have huge FT issues last year, likely more of a mental issue when the team struggled, after Thor and Gorden left and Isabell had not yet meshed and Jordan struggled as well.  Then again, 500 FTs each day cannot hurt. 

17 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

He has flaws in his ft release, practicing a flawed release won't make it better. Needs to change it altogether 

Yes it will. This idea that shooting a lot of shots per day if your shot is flawed won't help is nonsense. It may prevent you from being a great shooter but there are a lot of decent shooters with flawed mechanics. Practice will make you better. 

willie likes this