Jordan Goodwin is a Special Player

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, David King said:

Just think how good he'll be after he does the tons of work he needs.

I think we can all agree the tons of work line is ridiculous. But what JG does need to improve on for next year is get his free throw percentage back around 70%, boost his 3-point % to around 33% and icing on the cake would be to develop a more consistent stop and pop off the dribble mid-range shot like Bess did very well.  I think those are realistic goals - if he does that, now we're looking at the 1st Team All-Conference/potential A-10 player of the year that we all think he has the potential to become. 

He’s a power forward in a shooting guard’s body. Hope he can develop the perimeter shooting and FT touch he needs to become truly great.

17 minutes ago, ACE said:

I think we can all agree the tons of work line is ridiculous. But what JG does need to improve on for next year is get his free throw percentage back around 70%, boost his 3-point % to around 33% and icing on the cake would be to develop a more consistent stop and pop off the dribble mid-range shot like Bess did very well.  I think those are realistic goals - if he does that, now we're looking at the 1st Team All-Conference/potential A-10 player of the year that we all think he has the potential to become. 

JGood is really an Evans in a guard's body. If he could shoot that jumper like Evans he'd be POY in the A10. Agreed on FT's. 

1 minute ago, slu72 said:

JGood is really an Evans in a guard's body. If he could shoot that jumper like Evans he'd be POY in the A10. Agreed on FT's. 

Im trying to really think back, as a sophomore, feels like jgoods mid range jumper is better than evans was at that point.  Also interesting comparison, Evans really took off after his sophomore season, sorta what everyone's begging with jgood.

for a "power forward in a shooting guard's body"  goodwin had an assist to turnover ratio this season of 1.44.   for comparison sakes, the great kwamain mitchell in his sophomore season was only 1.23.   goodwin did fine as our point guard.   i believe if left to play the position he will end up with H comparisons who i consider the best billiken point guard i ever saw.  (apologies to the great jimmy irving who was slightly before my time)  

as taj has tried to communicate (surprisingly very poorly communicated, considering taj is one of my favorite writers at billikens.com), goodwin only needs to work on outside and free throw making.  (not shooting, making.   i think his form is fine.  he just doesnt make them like expected)

cant wait for 2021 senior night when a lot of you haters are taking back your goodwin nonsense.  

RUBillsFan likes this

Certain aspects of Jordan Goodwin's individual game are at All-American levels. I get that.  But the money-ball side of things --- the scoring and scoring averages --- need work.  Lots of work.  Drastic work.  Intense work.  Dedicated work.  Fill-in-any-adjective-you'd-like work.  I focused on shooting -- free throw and mid-range and threes -- and on ballhandling.  These are things not fixable by watching a video or reading a manual.  They only get better with a more stable routine developed by scads of repetition over a very long period of time. 

A person close to the situation acknowledged this in Brooklyn when, after winning the title, said of Jordan, that "the whole summer is free throw training."  Better be the right form.  Just using the summer months of May, June, July and August, that's 123 days.  What'd you think?  1,000 free throws a day?  2,000?  5,000?  Which equates to 123,000 or 246,000 or 615,000 total free throws.  I think that's tons of work ..... on just free throws.  And what astute person made this observation?  Jordan Goodwin's father. 

You can argue semantics all you want but it still comes down to one true thing --- I am right.  Blue font.  Blue font.  Blue font.

TheA_Bomb and billikenbill like this

8 minutes ago, ACE said:

If we could the something close to the shooting percentage from the 2 and the 3 that Jordan had for the conference tournament, Jordan could still be awful from the line and he would be CPOY next season.

5 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

for a "power forward in a shooting guard's body"  goodwin had an assist to turnover ratio this season of 1.44.   for comparison sakes, the great kwamain mitchell in his sophomore season was only 1.23.   goodwin did fine as our point guard.   i believe if left to play the position he will end up with H comparisons who i consider the best billiken point guard i ever saw.  (apologies to the great jimmy irving who was slightly before my time)  

as taj has tried to communicate (surprisingly very poorly communicated, considering taj is one of my favorite writers at billikens.com), goodwin only needs to work on outside and free throw making.  (not shooting, making.   i think his form is fine.  he just doesnt make them like expected)

cant wait for 2021 senior night when a lot of you haters are taking back your goodwin nonsense.  

Just curious, who do you consider the "haters"? Your buddy Taj would seems to be the closest to fit that description, but you seem to be giving him a pass, right before calling out the "haters."

11 minutes ago, ACE said:

Just curious, who do you consider the "haters"? Your buddy Taj would seems to be the closest to fit that description, but you seem to be giving him a pass, right before calling out the "haters."

go read any GDT and they obviously stick out.  

I think the only hateful things said about JGood was that he needed to be more careful w/ the ball in the early going. Even after the Davidson game no one was blaming him for the loss. In fact we all felt sympathy, not anger, for him. 

As someone who called out Jordan Goodwin at times, I will say he has raised his performance over the last 8 games

The FT shooting obviously needs to improve, but those are respectable FG % from 2 and 3 and 9 bounds (4 offensive) per game is sick...they would absolutely not have made the dance without his contribution and most encouragingly he was making good decisions in transition and wasn't afraid to shoot from range (the 3 he made before the half on Sunday was huge)

image.thumb.png.c5cee0a7118cd0268156ce749044eb94.png

still, he needs to get better at scoring in the half court sets as we're losing our top 2 scorers, but I do concur he's trending up 

Pistol likes this

In defense of Taj, who I agree is one of our very best posters, he is no "hater" of Goodwin.   Just the opposite.  Have you not heard that when the coach is talking with and about you, even negative, he likes you.  But when the coach stops talking with and about you, he has given up on you and moved on.  Same with Taj.  He is smart enough to know that Goodwin may be our most important player - and his comments about Goodwin are/were generally spot on.  The only issue I have with his post is that it read like an after the season analysis -- and obviously the season is not yet over. And with 20/20 hindsight, especially the title of this thread looks bad.

20 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

go read any GDT and they obviously stick out.  

Name names on who the "haters" are. One guy started a thread, which is the worst "hating" I saw, yet you're giving him a free pass.

JG is above criticism? People aren't allowed to point out when a player isn't playing up to his potential?  I thought folks blaming TI or the coach when JG had subpar performances wasn't fair.

If you think Goodwin had it rough in the GDT threads, look at some of the stuff said about the other guys.

dlarry likes this

1 hour ago, Clock_Tower said:

In defense of Taj, who I agree is one of our very best posters, he is no "hater" of Goodwin.   Just the opposite.  Have you not heard that when the coach is talking with and about you, even negative, he likes you.  But when the coach stops talking with and about you, he has given up on you and moved on.  Same with Taj.  He is smart enough to know that Goodwin may be our most important player - and his comments about Goodwin are/were generally spot on.  The only issue I have with his post is that it read like an after the season analysis -- and obviously the season is not yet over. And with 20/20 hindsight, especially the title of this thread looks bad.

Are you confusing this thread, "Jordan Goodwin is a Special Player," with the one Taj started, "...needs tons of work"?

1 hour ago, Sheltiedave said:

CTA, I would tell Goodwin all the areas he needs to improve, almost like TAj did, as did his dad,as did Ford. The picture frame may be slightly different, but the picture is the same. As long as the message is delivered out of love, and not hate, it will be well received by mature players.

Well some idiot said Goodwin needs "tons of work" and that stupid thread was up and bumping during the entire tournament

CTA, Jordan does need tons of work if he is to reach his one dream of playing in the NBA.

Taj did not do the ham sammich HR method of bookending both sides of his message with compliments. That does not, however, make him an idiot. That indicates he expects even more improvement than JG achieved this year, when he lost over 20 pounds, improved his speed, stamina, rebounding, handle, and getting steals by jumping the passing lanes.

JG likes motivation of all kinds, and he likes being the man, with all that entails. He will come back even better this fall, and be a motivated Tasmanian devil again.

dont confuse the tenor of a message with the message - they are two completely different things.

billiken_roy likes this

15 minutes ago, Sheltiedave said:

CTA, Jordan does need tons of work if he is to reach his one dream of playing in the NBA.

Taj did not do the ham sammich HR method of bookending both sides of his message with compliments. That does not, however, make him an idiot. That indicates he expects even more improvement than JG achieved this year, when he lost over 20 pounds, improved his speed, stamina, rebounding, handle, and getting steals by jumping the passing lanes.

JG likes motivation of all kinds, and he likes being the man, with all that entails. He will come back even better this fall, and be a motivated Tasmanian devil again.

dont confuse the tenor of a message with the message - they are two completely different things.

If being NBA ready is the standard then yes a lot of players need "tons of work" Why single out Jordan after everything he has been through

Why not say "Jordan Goodwin does a lot right, has record breaking stats, but needs some tweaks to be NBA ready"