Martelli is out

wgstl

4 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

Wonder if Charlie Brown jumps to NBA? 

If yes, seems like a good time to start over.

not sure he goes yet, doesnt appear to be on any mocks or close to it. 

That's unfortunate. We have absolutely owned Martelli. After he won his first to matchups with SLU against Sodie, we then went 12-2 against St. Joe's - with one of those two victories for SJU being that last one - an emotional night following the passing of Martelli's dad.

6 minutes ago, Matty Light said:

Would Porter Moser want that job?

Maybe,  he did get a 1 seed in the MVC and finish with 20 wins.   I didn't watch the team so I have no other analysis.   

7 minutes ago, Matty Light said:

Would Porter Moser want that job?

Not that job.

Porter is in an interesting spot after this season.  He is losing Custer and Townes.  That might mean it is time to move on.  Williamson and Krutig are a couple of nice pieces to rebuild around, but do you really want to risk the chance to move up the ladder by sticking around? If I was him, I would stay at Loyola another season.  I don't think even a down season would hurt his shine that much.  See what happens with Leitao at the DePaul next season and then decide what you want to do.  

I think the DePaul has to be at the top of Porter's wish list.  He is a Chicago area guy, it is a Big East job, it is a Catholic university, and he wouldn't have to establish new recruiting pipelines 

11 minutes ago, dlarry said:

St. Joe’s needs to think outside the box.

Jameer Nelson is unemployed. They need to kick the tires on someone like that.

Delonte West could use the work.  The story going around a couple years years ago was that he homeless, but then I heard he was working in some capacity as a scout for the Celtics this season.  Props to Danny Ainge for helping West out.  He has some serious mental health issues.  You would think LeBron's mama would have stepped up to help West out.

JMM28 likes this

Wow!  Many of the Hawk Hillers will say "about time" since it's been relatively dry since 2004.  I kind of expected it if he didn't win this year.  And he has everybody back for next year. 

Porter Moser is a Chicago guy.  I don't know how the heat turns up in Chicago but I do know all about Philly.  Ashley Howard is a Philly guy and went from Nova to La Salle.  The issue with that connection in Philly is that St. Joe's despises anything Villanova and vice-a-versa.  I can't see an assistant on GQ Jay's staff going down the main line to Hagan.  St. Joe's seems quite parochial -- they will want one of their "own" only I don't know who that would be.  I don't follow the trail that closely and it would be a long trail to uncover given how long Phil has been there.  At least his dad didn't live long enough to see him fired.  Phil's a dinosaur in the mold of [dead]. 

Ought to be interesting.  Philly is rich in talent and St. Joe's is at least the #3 school in town for that talent behind Nova (D1 titles)  and Temple (D1 football).  They aren't really that much above La Salle, Drexel or Penn.  Brown is from Philly and so is Kimble but the rest are from all over.  Bynum is from DC.  Bembre was from North Carolina. 

Only two former Joeys are current head coaches out there .... Kevin Baggett at Rider and Joh Gallagher at Hartford.  Both has associations with Martelli as players since he goes back 35 years.  The rest are pretty unimpressive.  I'm just going to assume the current assistants have no chance either .... each has been with Martelli for at least a decade.

This makes me sad. I know we owned him on the court, but Martelli is a super nice man. Will be sad not to see him on the sidelines. 

Both Martelli and Fran Dunphy retiring in the same year. That's poetic.