Ford's Contract

4 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Did you think it was insane when fans thought we could win 4 games in 4 days?

With the extra rest I think we have a good chance of beating VT because 4 out of 5 starters did it last season.

The core of French, Goodwin and Thatch is strong I believe in those guys and the coach so I must be insane because I believe it can happen.

He asked about expecting it, not thinking it could happen.

SLUMedBilliken15 likes this

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Major Majerus said:

More than the Vatican?  🤔

Maybe not more money than the Vatican, but they have a lot of money available. They a actually have, or had, producing oil wells within their acreage, which provides, or provided, a nice yearly income for the school.

1 hour ago, CBFan said:

Did you think it was insane when fans thought we could win 4 games in 4 days?

I do think it is insane (in the most awesome sense of the word) that we won 4 games in 4 days.... but I dont think it is insane for fans to think it could happen. I guess my point is that the expectations stated above for Ford seem awfully high. 

My expectation for Ford: Continue to trend the program in the right direction.

25 minutes ago, Compton said:

Ford was hired to make SLU a tournament team again. Not a Sweet 16 team or Final 4 team. That would all be icing on the cake. He did his job by making them a tournament team. This is America. You do a job, you should get paid. Pay the man. 

Nominated for dumbest post of the year.

brianstl and slufan13 like this

12 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Except Romar has 8 NCAA tournament wins to Ford's 1.

Edit: This is a indisputable fact.  Guess some people aren't into facts. 

Romar had ZERO NCAA tournament wins when he left SLU for a P5. The fact that he went on to amass 8 tourney wins shows that trying to lock him up with a contract extension could have been a good move for the team/program. So at the end of 3 years coaching at SLU Ford is ahead of Romar in the tourney wins category and tournament appearances (7 vs. 0). The Romar comparison certainly bolsters the argument to give Ford an extension. 

Cincybill likes this

Now you're moving the goal posts.  You said Ford is a better coach than Romar.  You didn't qualify that it was only for his time at SLU. 

Both won a conference tournament.   Edge to Ford in recruiting at SLU.   Edge to Romar in lack of questionable activity.   Though social media and the current climate makes that more difficult for Ford.

Ford is getting paid, learn from the mistakes of the past and mistakes of other programs and don't rush to possible failure.   No hurry on the contract extension.   Show me the narrative that you can't win in the tournament is false.

If going to consecutive tournaments was the criteria for getting a contact extension, there's only about 30 coaches in all of college basketball who would get a contract extension.

And the only mid-major coaches making back to back appearances this year are at Gonzaga, Nevada, New Mexico State, Buffalo and Montana.

SLUMedBilliken15 likes this

Comparisons between Ford and Romar are ridiculous.  Romar won with Spoon's player -- including Justin Love and Marquee Perry who were recruited by Spoon and signed with Spoon but who only played for Romar.  Spoon left the roster full.  Comparisons to what Spoon left to Romar are closer to what Majerus left Crews - and none of us give Crews much credit. 

Now, could Romar have turned things around and finally begin landing top recruits?  Maybe.  He did have the big guy from California coming in (Hollis?) but he would have shown up here at SLU in year 4 of Romar - not years 1, 2 or 3 like Ford.  I doubt things would have gone well had Romar not left so fast -- the time was good for Romar -- because Nick Kern (Vashon) was not coming to SLU.... our freshman PG was flunking out of school... and we were facing huge roster holes as Spoon's guys were graduating.    And as good of a coach/recruiter Romar was, I don't believe he would have been nearly as effective here at SLU in the Midwest/A10 as he was at Washington on the Left Coast/PAC 10 - but that's another debate.  In support, look at Romar's first 3 years of recruiting.

The issue at hand is that Romar won with Spoon guys and had landed very few players by year 3 and year 4 wasn't looking too good either.  Absolutely Coach Ford deserves a contract extension -- but as everyone can see, the same opponent posters he had all year (and prior) remain unconvinced even after rebuilding our team from absolute nothing -- what Crews left - and getting us to the NCAA Tournament.  Who is now left from Crews?  Elliot Welmer?

23 hours ago, JMM28 said:

Extensions for no reason are a frustrating part of college basketball. If he originally signed a 5 year deal (not sure it was ever reported), he'd still have 2 years left on the deal. There isn't much of a reason, barring a run in the tournament, to extend that more than a year. 

This isn't complicated. JMM gave the correct answer with the 7th post in the thread. This is all that is needed and in the best interest of both parties right now.

JMM28 likes this

17 minutes ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Doesn’t Ford have one of the biggest house in the Stl area? 

Also his kid is going in state and I doubt he paid millions to bribe Missouri to let his kid in lol

Ford is doing fine and from seeing how he gave part of his salary to to assistants, I don’t think money is the main motivator for him 

He gave part of his money to his assistants? Didn’t Majerus do the same thing? If this is true, he shouldn’t only get a raise, the assistants should too and the school should pay the cost. This is a continuation of the Spoon ice cream syndrome. Stop this stuff and get serious about the cost of competing.

3 minutes ago, kmbilliken said:

He gave part of his money to his assistants? Didn’t Majerus do the same thing? If this is true, he shouldn’t only get a raise, the assistants should too and the school should pay the cost. This is a continuation of the Spoon ice cream syndrome. Stop this stuff and get serious about the cost of competing.

All of the staff will get nice raises after this season, but i would not be surprised if one or more left after this season. 

14 minutes ago, kmbilliken said:

If it's true he gave up $ to his AC's that's a nice gesture on his part, but the school has to belly up to the bar on AC's salaries. Ford's a great recruiter, but he does have a lot of help. It's time this stops. Show them the money! 

17 hours ago, SLUMedBilliken15 said:

I think you are insane to think that we have good chance at an at large bid next year. We are losing at least 5 seniors and could have 7 new players and we aren't Duke or Kentucky. Any bid next year would be great, but I'm not expecting one. Ford is fantastic but to EXPECT an at large bid next year might be too high of an expectation.

We'll likely be picked 6 or 7 in conference preseason. A lot of teams are returning almost intact. If that's how it plays out an at large ain't happening. Next year is when we really feel the loss of Santos and Gordon. That assumes Gordon would have ever got with the program. 

59 minutes ago, kmbilliken said:

Speaking of the Spoon ice cream syndrome, I was reminded of Fr. Biondi's breaking his promise to Majerus on the chartered flights when I saw the picture of Team Blue landing in San Jose -- yellow paint on the front of the plane, exit from plane with the stairs, .... glad to see we are still chartering planes -- not only for the team/coaches but also for some lucky students!!   Way to go Dr. C and SLU !!

10 minutes ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

I don’t see where they would go, most have recruiting circles in Stl except for the one in NY. Maybe take the st Joes job? We have Forte ready to start I’m sure 

Will bailey has east coast and Chicago ties. That’s valuable. 

macon has almost already left and got promoted last year. 

I feel good about Tate staying. 

I’m not being a chicken little - assistants leave all the time -  that’s the sign of a successful program. 

billiken_roy likes this

55 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Speaking of the Spoon ice cream syndrome, I was reminded of Fr. Biondi's breaking his promise to Majerus on the chartered flights when I saw the picture of Team Blue landing in San Jose -- yellow paint on the front of the plane, exit from plane with the stairs, .... glad to see we are still chartering planes -- not only for the team/coaches but also for some lucky students!!   Way to go Dr. C and SLU !!

-I believe the NCAA pays for charters for all teams in the tourney but the U and Dr C going above this is very good

1 minute ago, Cowboy said:

-I believe the NCAA pays for charters for all teams in the tourney but the U and Dr C going above this is very good

The NCAA 100% pays for the normal team traveling party, the band, cheerleaders, and a certain number of other staff/admin folks on a charter. They also pay the tab for the hotels for those people. They handle the airline arrangements and pretty much just tell the school where to be and when to be there. The school can request a bigger aircraft and have boosters/extra staff/whatever join but the school or those people have to pay a certain pre-determined rate to the NCAA for that.