Ford's Contract

The last two years he has snagged  both a local blue chip recruit, and a distance blue chip recruit as well.

He has identified and won recruiting battles for coveted transfers.

He has developed two bad teams into average teams, and this year he turned a team filled with dissension into an incredibly short benched NCAA team.

Next year he has a local blue chip PG and wing forward coming, and they are reaching out to other recruits already. In sales, the time to strike on a contract is while somewhat is hot, not before he is en fiegua. 

cheeseman likes this

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

Texas has more money than the Vatican. Money ain't gonna stop them from buying out Shaka's contract. 

$13mil guaranteed to Smart and if they hire someone else they'll have to pay that buyout.    That's a lot to go with them upgrading nearly every single facility at once.   Word on the street was that they were working a deal with Wake Forest to ease that cost.   UT AD even tweeted out pics with WF AD last week to add to the scuttlebutt.  However, maybe after that egg in the Conference tournament they said. No thanks. 

Ford's contract probably already has bonuses for conference championship and NCAA bid.  I say wait and see.  Next year could be tough but if good recruits are coming in and we see a light at the end of the tunnel then extend a year or two.   Or if we get to the sweet 16 this year,  lock em up

4 minutes ago, willie said:

You gotta love this Board. Last week Ford was on the hot seat,this week the board is worried about his contract. 

Were there more than 2-3 posters that had Ford on the hot seat? 

There’s no doubt the kids love him and buy in from an effort point of view.  Additionally, Ford has proven fairly adept at installing multple effective defenses. The jury is still out on the effectiveness of his offense, but there are a number of reasons for that including the loss of multiple key players. 

Is an extension warranted?  If you put a gun to my head, I say yes even though I have been critical.  The main reason I say yes is that I don’t know that SLU could retain a coach as good as Ford when taking all of his ability (recruiting, coaching, media savvy, love from players, etc) into account. 

Just now, moytoy12 said:

Were there more than 2-3 posters that had Ford on the hot seat? 

There’s no doubt the kids love him and buy in from an effort point of view.  Additionally, Ford has proven fairly adept at installing multple effective defenses. The jury is still out on the effectiveness of his offense, but there are a number of reasons for that including the loss of multiple key players. 

Is an extension warranted?  If you put a gun to my head, I say yes even though I have been critical.  The main reason I say yes is that I don’t know that SLU could retain a coach as good as Ford when taking all of his ability (recruiting, coaching, media savvy, love from players, etc) into account. 

I think I said Ford's tenure would be a failure if he didn't get Goodwin and French to the tourney. That is no longer the case. So I'm good. 

8 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

I think I said Ford's tenure would be a failure if he didn't get Goodwin and French to the tourney. That is no longer the case. So I'm good. 

Great point. It really is a relief knowing that Goodwin and French are going to play in the Tournament. When I was a student, I had to watch Lisch and Liddell, arguably 2 of the top 15 greatest Billikens of all time,  not even sniff a postseason Tourney.  It was excruciating. 

2 hours ago, wgstl said:

Not sure anything is in concrete, but Drew got really unlucky, which should buy him time for sure.  Plus they got two 4*'s and scotty pippen jr coming in.

As a Vandy fan, I loved the Drew hire when it happened but am more than ready to move on. He got unlucky by losing Garland, but that loss also revealed a horrible lack of depth. Vandy ended the season on a 20 game losing streak; it’s hard to come back from that.

Don’t mean to hijack the thread just wanted to chime in.

JMM28 likes this

On 3/19/2019 at 11:16 AM, wgstl said:

I agree.  If doesnt collect a win, and makes it back next year, extend him regardless of tournament wins. 

Extend no matter the result.  Are you guys crazy? Never had a coach that could take SLU to the next level and recruit like Ford.  And a better bench coach than most.

The way to succeed as a mid major is coaching continuity .....

Zink, cheeseman and bauman like this

If Ford has two years left, we need to re-up him for 3 more.  He's got to be able to tell recruits that he'll be around.  Having to admit to a parent of a high school kid that he only has two years left on his deal makes that difficult.  With this tourney appearance, I'm excited to see what he does in recruiting next spring.  Let's give him all the advantages he needs.

I think Ford is happy with both the school and with St. Louis. I believe his family has settled nicely in St. Louis and likes it very much, kids are doing well in school. I also think Ford has put a lot of himself into the SLU program, he appears to have a  strong mutual relationship with his players. From the point of view of the school, he is liked by the administration and May. We could NOT be doing better than we are with Ford. I think the way to go is to give him a bonus for getting us to the Dance this year plus a 3 year extension both of them effective at the end of the season.

CBFan likes this

50 minutes ago, willie said:

You gotta love this Board. Last week Ford was on the hot seat,this week the board is worried about his contract. 

I for one did not take that approach.  I was fine with letting him go on so my position of extending his contract now is well in line with my original position.

Guys like Few and Marshall are rare. For example I thought Stevens and Mack would die at Butler and X respectively. Both left. So, I do expect Travis will depart someday. Tomorrow if UK called. That said SLU gives him the opportunity to build a stronger resume over the next 2-4 years. A resume that would be appealing to one of the elite BB schools. I'm sure his kids don't want to pack up the tents now that they're in HS. So, SLU's got to keep him content for the rest of his time here by not pulling our usual stupid moves of not paying for ice cream, pulling charter flights, reducing recruiting budgets, and going cheap on AC's. In short, don't give him any reason to leave in the near future. 

59 minutes ago, Old guy said:

I think Ford is happy with both the school and with St. Louis. I believe his family has settled nicely in St. Louis and likes it very much, kids are doing well in school. I also think Ford has put a lot of himself into the SLU program, he appears to have a  strong mutual relationship with his players. From the point of view of the school, he is liked by the administration and May. We could NOT be doing better than we are with Ford. I think the way to go is to give him a bonus for getting us to the Dance this year plus a 3 year extension both of them effective at the end of the season.

-there is a lot of "think"ing and "believ"ing and "appear"ing in this post - Old guy is honest in that he doesn't know and neither do I - what I do know is that S2 is not far in the rear view mirror, S2 was botched by the Admin and CFord was infuriated, those things I know, what that means today I don't  "know", I don't discount S2 and its impact when thinking about CFord and his longevity here,  I hope what Old guy "thinks" and "believes" and what "appears" to him is truth

Now that the seratonin levels are lowering, we can be realistic. If we did not do the seemingly impossible, people would absolutely be questioning Ford. 

If there was a stretch of 4 games we would win, Richmond, Dayton, Davidson and St Bonnie’s would never ever be the 4 we would guess after losing to all this season. 

The fact is, we did the impossible and all credit goes to Ford. 

However now in hindsight, we said fatigue was the issue all season, but now that seems to be a dead argument. We did still finish 6th in a 2 bud conference. For now Ford has my complete backing. 

Next year is still the gold standard to judge Ford. Can he

1. Keep a full roster all season (minus injuries)

2. work on deficiencies ( we cannot afford to be the worst ft team in the NCAA )

3. Continue success ( at large bid next year and higher than 13 seed) 

If those 3 happen he should get a 5 year extension after next years season. This isn’t a knock on Ford, just a knock on people wanting to extend a contract after a ncaa bid 

20 minutes ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Now that the seratonin levels are lowering, we can be realistic. If we did not do the seemingly impossible, people would absolutely be questioning Ford. 

If there was a stretch of 4 games we would win, Richmond, Dayton, Davidson and St Bonnie’s would never ever be the 4 we would guess after losing to all this season. 

The fact is, we did the impossible and all credit goes to Ford. 

However now in hindsight, we said fatigue was the issue all season, but now that seems to be a dead argument. We did still finish 6th in a 2 bud conference. For now Ford has my complete backing. 

Next year is still the gold standard to judge Ford. Can he

1. Keep a full roster all season (minus injuries)

2. work on deficiencies ( we cannot afford to be the worst ft team in the NCAA )

3. Continue success ( at large bid next year and higher than 13 seed) 

If those 3 happen he should get a 5 year extension after next years season. This isn’t a knock on Ford, just a knock on people wanting to extend a contract after a ncaa bid 

I think you are insane to think that we have good chance at an at large bid next year. We are losing at least 5 seniors and could have 7 new players and we aren't Duke or Kentucky. Any bid next year would be great, but I'm not expecting one. Ford is fantastic but to EXPECT an at large bid next year might be too high of an expectation.

3 hours ago, willie said:

Not unlike the GDTs. Piss and moan about a player in the first half, want to name him All America in the second.

35 minutes ago, SLUMedBilliken15 said:

I think you are insane to think that we have good chance at an at large bid next year. We are losing at least 5 seniors and could have 7 new players and we aren't Duke or Kentucky. Any bid next year would be great, but I'm not expecting one. Ford is fantastic but to EXPECT an at large bid next year might be too high of an expectation.

I think we can have some amazing surprises in the offseason in the form of GT

1 hour ago, SLUMedBilliken15 said:

Did you think it was insane when fans thought we could win 4 games in 4 days?

With the extra rest I think we have a good chance of beating VT because 4 out of 5 starters did it last season.

The core of French, Goodwin and Thatch is strong I believe in those guys and the coach so I must be insane because I believe it can happen.

almaman likes this