Ford's Contract

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

57 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

No one knows for sure and it is early but I won't be surprised if Ford gets a 3 year extension.  Thoughts?

I'd say the chances are greater than 50/50 that he'll get an extension.  How many years does he have left?  Two?

Most coaches want to have more in balance than that in order to assure families of recruits that they'll be there for most, if not all, of the prospective recruits four years.

Just now, TheA_Bomb said:

If he wins a game in the tournament extend him.   If not let's see what happens in the next 2 years. 

I agree.  If doesnt collect a win, and makes it back next year, extend him regardless of tournament wins. 

Extensions for no reason are a frustrating part of college basketball. If he originally signed a 5 year deal (not sure it was ever reported), he'd still have 2 years left on the deal. There isn't much of a reason, barring a run in the tournament, to extend that more than a year. 

His OKState contract was slated to run through this season. 

9 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Extensions for no reason are a frustrating part of college basketball. If he originally signed a 5 year deal (not sure it was ever reported), he'd still have 2 years left on the deal. There isn't much of a reason, barring a run in the tournament, to extend that more than a year. 

His OKState contract was slated to run through this season. 

See Texas contract with Shaka.  I think they'd rather unload him this year but they can't. 

Wait and see.   I hope I'm wrong but Coach has a track record of not winning in the tournament.   Getting there is big for us but we gotta win a few.  Maybe not this year,  I get it. VT is a tough draw and we have a short bench but in 2 years.....

He at least should given some sort of bonus for getting us dancing. I know a lot of posters don't think he's done enough here to be on any P5 school's radar, but he's a proven recruiter, motivator, and not tainted by any scandals. SLU's got to show him some love to keep him here. Our path to sustainable success is to keep a good HC here for more than 3 years at a time. Remember, Romar was not a roaring success here,  yet after 3 years he got hired away by a P5 school. I'd say Travis is a better HC than Zo. 

CBFan, Schasz and Zink like this

24 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I'd say the chances are greater than 50/50 that he'll get an extension.  How many years does he have left?  Two?

Most coaches want to have more in balance than that in order to assure families of recruits that they'll be there for most, if not all, of the prospective recruits four years.

Yes he has 2 years left if I understand it correctly.

8 hours ago, slu72 said:

He at least should given some sort of bonus for getting us dancing. I know a lot of posters don't think he's done enough here to be on any P5 school's radar, but he's a proven recruiter, motivator, and not tainted by any scandals. SLU's got to show him some love to keep him here. Our path to sustainable success is to keep a good HC here for more than 3 years at a time. Remember, Romar was not a roaring success here,  yet after 3 years he got hired away by a P5 school. I'd say Travis is a better HC than Zo. 

Except Romar has 8 NCAA tournament wins to Ford's 1.

Edit: This is a indisputable fact.  Guess some people aren't into facts. 

Cussamano was talking about this just a few minutes ago.

He mentioned LSU and Vandy as schools who might be looking for coaches.

He said he doesn’t think it’s a concern now but if he wins 50 games the next two years and makes a run that schools will come calling.

I was surprised he even brought it up.

4 minutes ago, slu72 said:

You are thinking like me - I think we have to take the gamble of keeping him here.  I would extend it 3 years.  I know some will say that is too big of a gamble but at some point we have to roll the dice and I would roll it on Ford.  After all we gave a contract to Crews and he had nobody coming in and his team was graduating.  That was a much bigger gamble in my opinion.  It seems he wants to stay here for now at least so we may be able to get him on a reasonable extension.  He is young enough to still want to recruit hard and be successful so lets capitalize on it.

2 minutes ago, dlarry said:

Cussamano was talking about this just a few minutes ago.

He mentioned LSU and Vandy as schools who might be looking for coaches.

He said he doesn’t think it’s a concern now but if he wins 50 games the next two years and makes a run that schools will come calling.

I was surprised he even brought it up.

I think LSU's gonna be forced to fire Wade. I read where the FBI's got him on tape cutting a deal. I'd expect that announcement to come after they've been eliminated or after the dance is over. Didn't someone post on here that Drew's good for another year? 

13 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

See Texas contract with Shaka.  I think they'd rather unload him this year but they can't. 

-why can't they? couldn't they pay almost whatever to whomever including a buyout to Shaka? 

Just now, slu72 said:

I think LSU's gonna be forced to fire Wade. I read where the FBI's got him on tape cutting a deal. I'd expect that announcement to come after they've been eliminated or after the dance is over. Didn't someone post on here that Drew's good for another year? 

Not sure anything is in concrete, but Drew got really unlucky, which should buy him time for sure.  Plus they got two 4*'s and scotty pippen jr coming in.

19 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Romar's case was special, because it was his alma mater, Washington.

I buy into Coach Ford.  He's been dealt some tough hands since he has been here.  His teams have never quit on him.  They have finished the year strong all three years now.  That says a lot about the coach.  I would try to tack on another 2 years.  You want your recruits to know that your coach is secure until graduation time.

57 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

I’ve heard that ford is very happy and his contract is for more than you think. FWIW.

(That is not helpful but i am not worried about him leaving) 

He has a 15 year old son and probably would like for his son to finish school in St. Louis instead of relocating.

When his children are in college then the coach and his wife will decide whether living in St. Louis is what they want.

Hopefully they love Cardinal Baseball, Blues Hockey and Pappy's BBQ enough to stay until he retires.

25 minutes ago, Matty Light said:

I buy into Coach Ford.  He's been dealt some tough hands since he has been here.  His teams have never quit on him.  They have finished the year strong all three years now.  That says a lot about the coach.  I would try to tack on another 2 years.  You want your recruits to know that your coach is secure until graduation time.

Be interesting to see what SLU does but I think he's earned that kind of an extension.