SLU Athletic Department

Edit: The post below is based on anecdotal experience.   Apparently some non- Billiken club, non season ticket holders were solicited to join and buy season tickets. 

So that's good. 

The good:

They brought the band and the cheer leaders to the tournament. 

The Billiken got some good publicity on TV\social media winning the slam dunk competition. 

The bad:

We won the conference tournament  championship but I have no communication from them.   They need to strike while the iron is hot.   They should be asking for pledges for season tickets, to join the Billiken Club and donations.  They should be organizing a SLU San Jose event with Billiken greats where they hit you up for donations and keep you enthused. 

I'm not a season ticket holder or in the Billiken Club but they have my email from attending the event at Houston.   I personally told the AD that I went to SHU, Pitt and I was at Houston.   Not one person asked me to join Billiken Club or donate or get season tickets. Hell I didn't even see any pamphlets or literature about it.

Winning begets winning and money always helps.   If you don't even hit up your most dedicated fans what are you doing?

To contrast it with the biggest and richest AD, Texas,  as soon as Texas was in the Sugar Bowl they sent an email and offered travel/tail gate.  As soon as Texas won they were asking for pledges.  They even emailed me about the NIT.

Missed opportunity to capitalize on the good will and excitement of right now.   They should've had messaging queued up. Maybe I'm just not on their mailing list.  These are basic things our AD is not doing.   Yeah we criticize the coach but he stepped up this week.   The AD needs to step up or they will be a hindrance to the program. 

AGB91 and moytoy12 like this

1 minute ago, SluSignGuy said:

In the ADs defense, I got a Robocall from Ford yesterday (but I am a Billiken Club Member and Season Ticket holder).

That's good but now is the time to widen your net.  

When you win you don't have to discount.   I like deals but more $ for athletic programs is good.   That's from the fans they need to exploit it.

34 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

The good:

The Billiken got some good publicity on TV\social media winning the slam dunk competition. 

The bad:

We won the conference tournament  championship but I have no communication from them.   They need to strike while the iron is hot.   They should be asking for pledges for season tickets, to join the Billiken Club and donations.  They should be organizing a SLU San Jose event with Billiken greats where they hit you up for donations and keep you enthused. 

I'm not a season ticket holder or in the Billiken Club but they have my email from attending the event at Houston.   I personally told the AD that I went to SHU, Pitt and I was at Houston.   Not one person asked me to join Billiken Club or donate or get season tickets. Hell I didn't even see any pamphlets or literature about it.

Winning begets winning and money always helps.   If you don't even hit up your most dedicated fans what are you doing?

To contrast it with the biggest and richest AD, Texas,  as soon as Texas was in the Sugar Bowl they sent an email and offered travel/tail gate.  As soon as Texas won they were asking for pledges.  They even emailed me about the NIT.

Missed opportunity to capitalize on the good will and excitement of right now.   They should've had messaging queued up. Maybe I'm just not on their mailing list.  These are basic things our AD is not doing.   Yeah we criticize the coach but he stepped up this week.   The AD needs to step up or they will be a hindrance to the program. 

Ford called me on a robo call yesterday.

30 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

The good:

The bad:

Didn't A&M just pass Texas in revenues in revenue?  I know that A&M has led in profit for a while and I am almost positive they passed the Longhorns in revenue as a result of new money generated from the renovations to Kyle Field.

8 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Didn't A&M just pass Texas in revenues in revenue?  I know that A&M has led in profit for a while and I am almost positive they passed the Longhorns in revenue as a result of new money generated from the renovations to Kyle Field.

For a year that happened due to renovation donations.   That was last year or a couple years ago.   New UT AD Chris Del Conte has nearly doubled donations since he's been here.   Winning football and baseball helps. 

I'm not saying SLU be Texas but damn an email doesn't cost much.   They have my info.   Robocalls to current members is good but they should always be hustling to grow.

brianstl likes this

When you have a small time AD and a small time Department, these normal operations are not even on the radar. 

I have seen schools schedule pizza parties in the dorm/student unions for NCAA games. Free tees so the kids remember their school five years later. SLU doesn’t know the hustle.

1 minute ago, Sheltiedave said:

When you have a small time AD and a small time Department, these normal operations are not even on the radar. 

I have seen schools schedule pizza parties in the dorm/student unions for NCAA games. Free tees so the kids remember their school five years later. SLU doesn’t know the hustle.

I know for a fact they've had free buddy tickets and T- shirts for students at basketball games this year.    So they have done what you mention. 

My 8 year old was in the car with me when we got the robo call from Ford.  He is on Spring Break and that made his day.  He walked in and told my wife that Coach Ford called him.  It was pretty cool.

crymdg2 likes this

34 minutes ago, Sheltiedave said:

I agree. 
I will defend the AD though. @TheA_Bomb was the event you attended and gave your info to an alumni event? Alumni and other campus departments aren't always exactly friendly when it comes to sharing contact info. SLU athletics tries to raise money from alumni and so do the regular campus development staff. They look at it like its competition. I am speculating that culture exists at SLU. 

2 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

I agree. 
I will defend the AD though. @TheA_Bomb was the event you attended and gave your info to an alumni event? Alumni and other campus departments aren't always exactly friendly when it comes to sharing contact info. SLU athletics tries to raise money from alumni and so do the regular campus development staff. They look at it like its competition. I am speculating that culture exists at SLU. 

It might've been,  but the AD was there not a mention of joining billiken club.

Also I was 1 of like 3 fans (non family members) at Pitt and nothing.   Seriously I've had more people watch corn hole in my back yard than were at that game. 

Any non Billiken Club members get hit up in any capacity?

1 hour ago, Sheltiedave said:

SLU organized a last minute watch party for Sunday's game (that got local press coverage).  Before the season, the AD put on a pretty good "Midnight Madness" where Student Groups had $100s in incentives to turn out via attendance prizes.  There were multiple t-shirt giveaways this seasons (white out; blue out).  Can things be done better?  Certainly.  But the AD makes a fair bit of effort on the student front.

I will go on record that the marketing and promotions by the current athletic administration are far and away the best it has ever been at SLU. Their in-game production is outstanding, they do a great job of giving away and discounting tickets to get people to the games, and they have the best local media coverage and relationships we have had since Spoon was a national story. Plus, we don't have the same patronizing tone to our coverage that we used to have under Spoon. All this without fielding a top 25 team or playing in a major conference. 

1 hour ago, davidnark said:

I will go on record that the marketing and promotions by the current athletic administration are far and away the best it has ever been at SLU. Their in-game production is outstanding, they do a great job of giving away and discounting tickets to get people to the games, and they have the best local media coverage and relationships we have had since Spoon was a national story. Plus, we don't have the same patronizing tone to our coverage that we used to have under Spoon. All this without fielding a top 25 team or playing in a major conference. 

Agreed. Think things could always be improved but they are getting better forsure.

1 hour ago, davidnark said:

I will go on record that the marketing and promotions by the current athletic administration are far and away the best it has ever been at SLU. Their in-game production is outstanding, they do a great job of giving away and discounting tickets to get people to the games, and they have the best local media coverage and relationships we have had since Spoon was a national story. Plus, we don't have the same patronizing tone to our coverage that we used to have under Spoon. All this without fielding a top 25 team or playing in a major conference. 

good post david!

I got two emails from SLU --- and I am not a Billiken Club member --- one for season ticket packages for next year and another for I think an alumni watch party in St. Louis Friday night. 

36 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

I got two emails from SLU --- and I am not a Billiken Club member --- one for season ticket packages for next year and another for I think an alumni watch party in St. Louis Friday night. 

Same and I'm only a poor young alumni level season ticket holder.

34 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Ok so they're hitting people up that's good.   Did you buy A10 tournament tix through the school?  Just wondering how you got on their radar but others didn't. 

As to Nark's post, I think that it's apples to oranges the current AD regime compared to previous.   We're in the era of social media and marketing has become cheaper via FB, Twitter,  Instagram and pop ups.

I do agree they've had good themes and messages (outside the new Billiken).  They've been coherent and cohesive. 

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

Why aren't you a Billiken Club member? Buck up. 

slufanskip likes this

2 minutes ago, willie said:

Maybe couches are expensive in Maryland.   You don't know his life. 

QUAILMAN likes this

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

23 minutes ago, willie said:

-what willie said, wow