officiating

papal

Roger Ayers, one of the referees we had today, was voted the best referee in college basketball in a straw poll of coaches last year https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/candid-coaches-who-is-the-best-referee-in-college-basketball/  

I was a little worried when Jamie Luckie was one of the referees because I seem to recall him not being Billiken friendly in prior years

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

The final game of the tournament, today, the officiating was outstanding.  It may be that I’m so used to really bad officials, but I said a few times during the game that I thought the refs were doing a great job.

I texted some friends that midway thru the 2nd half, really quality officiating that allowed for a real solid flow to the game despite the low score. I thought the same thing yesterday. Sure you could identify one off calls, but on the whole I thought they did a really nice job the final two rounds.

I'm probably wasting a lot of electrons here but whatever. Refs are like individual contractors and do not work for particular conferences although some consortiums of conferences do hire them that way. The P5/6 teams and leagues can offer more $$ so the better refs will get those jobs. The mid-majors and lower have to take the leftovers because they have less to spend on them.

If you were around for our Conf USA days and then the switch to the A10, you likely noticed the obvious difference in the quality of the officiating. We never again saw Steve Welmer, Tom O'Neill, Mark Whitehead and some others I can't remember. (Nowadays they are probably all retired now anyway, but you get the point.) I swear some of the officials we get now for A10 regular season games act like they aren't ready to do a high school game.

By the time we get to postseason games, especially NCAA tourney games, the good ones get hired, the rest are watching on TV. Ironically, according to an article I've read, the NCAA actually pays less for tourney games than some refs get for regular season games but most will work them for the obvious reasons of working big games under the bright lights with big audiences.

Bizziken likes this

The refs today were definitely the best of the tourney.   I think i only used the word idiot one time

The one thing I think they got wrong was that in-bounds play in the last minute where the ball went off a Bona player's foot and they got the ball on our baseline and somehow it wasn't reviewed. Otherwise, they had a strong game.

Adman and Bizziken like this

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

The one thing I think they got wrong was that in-bounds play in the last minute where the ball went off a Bona player's foot and they got the ball on our baseline and somehow it wasn't reviewed. Otherwise, they had a strong game.

Said the same thing. They showed a replay of the play and then the live feed had already inbounded the ball.

2 hours ago, almaman said:

thanks for bringing that up. fear of looking like a DS for asking before but since talking about the same play; I thought it should been called kicking in some fashion.We'd get it OOB or possession arrow?

His foot was planted, but a kick wouldn't have really mattered if it went right back out of bounds and we were the team inbounding the ball. It should've been our ball again, same spot, with 1 second at most off the clock and shot clock. I'm surprised at how quickly that passed without review.

JohnnyJumpUp likes this