THANK YOU COACH FORD

I gotta say, Coach Ford has done an incredible job keeping the team unified after 2 straight years of incredibly tumultuous circumstances. This year's team is easily a top 15 squad if we have some or all of: Henriquez, Graves, Bishop, Santos, Jalen Johnson, healthy Welmer, and CAG isn't an @sshat. I mean just look at that list and think about how much talent this team lost in just 2 years. The guys we lost are a tourney caliber team by themselves. To keep the few that remain focused and playing with every ounce they have is an exceptional exhibit of motivation and team building. Say what you want about Xs and Os, but it's undeniable he's got this squad 100% bought into the #TeamBlue family mentality. Changing your scheme to fit a team that loses as much talent as we did is not easy, and he's somehow been able to scrape together a tourney team. Great local recruiting class coming in and this tourney appearance should help us in a talented 2020 STL class. The future is bright, guys. 

Zink likes this

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only one who would love to know what Carte’Are Gordon is thinking right now?  Wow, the guys you were supposed to have gone to battle with, had their backs, and had a brotherhood with just made the tournament after you bailed on them after 13 games. leaving them to scramble to regain their footing.  What you saw there Carte’Are was something I hope you someday can figure out.  That was desire, will, determination, teamwork, unselfishness, and character.  What it lead to was a chance to do what every NCAA player dreams of, which is playing in the NCAA Tournament.  It was another step in the growth of these young men.  Enjoy your decision, because in a strange way you may have actually helped this team come together by leaving.

7 hours ago, WorstCallIveEverSeen said:

Am I the only one who would love to know what Carte’Are Gordon is thinking right now?  Wow, the guys you were supposed to have gone to battle with, had their backs, and had a brotherhood with just made the tournament after you bailed on them after 13 games. leaving them to scramble to regain their footing.  What you saw there Carte’Are was something I hope you someday can figure out.  That was desire, will, determination, teamwork, unselfishness, and character.  What it lead to was a chance to do what every NCAA player dreams of, which is playing in the NCAA Tournament.  It was another step in the growth of these young men.  Enjoy your decision, because in a strange way you may have actually helped this team come together by leaving.

What was he thinking?   CG was thinking about the only thing the thinks about -- himself and what is the easiest path to take.   You hope CG figures out brotherhood one day?   Why?   CG is irrelevant and "Dead" to me now.   I suggest you do the same.  And yes, this team is better off without the cancer in the locker room known as CG.

11 hours ago, dennis_w said:

Spoon had grawer recruits iirc

Not really.   In Grawer's last year at SLU, most all of his guys quit, ran out of eligibility/graduated:  Robinson, Skinner, Dillard, Irvin.  Others left such as Bickel, Grant, Winfield and Grawer's son.  The only 2 left were Claggett (who was all but gone to N. Iowa) and HIghmark (who was on his way to Mizzou).  It was a terrible year - a real low point.  Spoon came and probably did his best job recruiting Highmark and Claggett to get them to stay -- b/c they joined a talented group of upperclassmen and came in as Freshmen with a large group of mostly AAU/Eagles.   I think it was much tougher to keep Claggett and Highmark after that terrible year and all they went through than it was for Grawer to recruit them in the first place. 

dennis_w likes this

48 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

What was he thinking?   CG was thinking about the only thing the thinks about -- himself and what is the easiest path to take.   You hope CG figures out brotherhood one day?   Why?   CG is irrelevant and "Dead" to me now.   I suggest you do the same.  And yes, this team is better off without the cancer in the locker room known as CG.

I stay interested for life for anyone who signs for life. Maybe some with less than loving reasons but I still do. I also will always thirst for insight into all departures, situations. I’d kill for a 30/30 on S2. 

37 minutes ago, WorstCallIveEverSeen said:

The reason I feel like talking about this kid is because it contributed to what this team and coaching staff had to go through because of his selfish actions.  I don't feel the NEED to talk about it, it was just a question.  I wouldn't think too hard about things brianstl. 

It was a big storyline this season, so not a surprise people would want to talk about it. If he was pissing off Bess and the team leaders, the tool had to go. As talented as CG is, I don't think we make this run with him on the roster. 

billiken_roy likes this

1 minute ago, ACE said:

It was a big storyline this season, so not a surprise people would want to talk about it. If he was pissing off Bess and the team leaders, the tool had to go. As talented as CG is, I don't think we make this run with him on the roster. 

Not discounting what you just said but I guess one could also say that with him winning the A10 Tourney may not have been needed.

2 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Not discounting what you just said but I guess one could also say that with him winning the A10 Tourney may not have been needed.

We weren't going to win the regular season with him. From a basketball standpoint, French began to thrive again following his departure. And from a chemistry standpoint, if Bess can't stand you... you got to go.

CBFan likes this

13 minutes ago, ACE said:

It's not everyday we lose a top rated local 4 star recruit for no apparent reason. Especially when the guy said he was all in for SLU and his hometown. So, it's not a surprise we'd like to know what his thoughts are since he's missed out on living the dream of every D1 hoopster. His future team's going to the CBI, which is like playing spring exhibition games. His old team is going to the show, and they did it without the future star's services. Yes, he's dead to us. And yes, he could well be one big spoiled brat. But don't knock fans for wondering if he's having second thoughts about his decision.

1 hour ago, almaman said:

I stay interested for life for anyone who signs for life. Maybe some with less than loving reasons but I still do. I also will always thirst for insight into all departures, situations. I’d kill for a 30/30 on S2. 

I’d kill for the truth to come out. 

almaman likes this

When you see the effort the players are giving every single game, digging down deep to pull off this unbelievable run with a depleted roster, it makes it that much sweeter.  These guys are playing 30-38 minutes a game giving max effort, and CG could barely walk up the floor when he was in the games...just saying.  He was a talented recruit that I would have loved to have kept had he been a team player and actually contributed, but the offense had to wait on him for about 10 seconds to catch up with the other 4 guys in the offensive zone.  He clearly didn't have the heart to put in the work.  This may make some people mad, but this is a public forum and this is my view.  He clearly was a cancer on this team just like he has been almost everywhere he has played.  I hope the kid has sleepless nights over the decisions he has made recently.  It may actually wake him up, but I seriously doubt anything will.  I don't care if he ever earns a dime at the pro level.  He looks like he is on downward path and that's shame...but I hope not.

2 minutes ago, WorstCallIveEverSeen said:

When you see the effort the players are giving every single game, digging down deep to pull off this unbelievable run with a depleted roster, it makes it that much sweeter.  These guys are playing 30-38 minutes a game giving max effort, and CG could barely walk up the floor when he was in the games...just saying.  He was a talented recruit that I would have loved to have kept had he been a team player and actually contributed, but the offense had to wait on him for about 10 seconds to catch up with the other 4 guys in the offensive zone.  He clearly didn't have the heart to put in the work.  This may make some people mad, but this is a public forum and this is my view.  He clearly was a cancer on this team just like he has been almost everywhere he has played.  I hope the kid has sleepless nights over the decisions he has made recently.  It may actually wake him up, but I seriously doubt anything will.  I don't care if he ever earns a dime at the pro level.  He looks like he is on downward path and that's shame...but I hope not.

didnt read anything you said, too busy loving your usename 

Cincybill likes this

2 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

Not really.   In Grawer's last year at SLU, most all of his guys quit, ran out of eligibility/graduated:  Robinson, Skinner, Dillard, Irvin.  Others left such as Bickel, Grant, Winfield and Grawer's son.  The only 2 left were Claggett (who was all but gone to N. Iowa) and HIghmark (who was on his way to Mizzou).  It was a terrible year - a real low point.  Spoon came and probably did his best job recruiting Highmark and Claggett to get them to stay -- b/c they joined a talented group of upperclassmen and came in as Freshmen with a large group of mostly AAU/Eagles.   I think it was much tougher to keep Claggett and Highmark after that terrible year and all they went through than it was for Grawer to recruit them in the first place. 

Highmark has said that he wanted to play for Missouri but they did not offer him and then his next choice was Spoon because he liked him so when Spoon came to SLU he said it was not a decision that was hard for him.  I do understand that Clags was really leaning hard to N Iowa.

26 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

I’d kill for the truth to come out. 

What don't you know about S2?  I thought it was pretty well pieced together on the board.

31 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Highmark has said that he wanted to play for Missouri but they did not offer him and then his next choice was Spoon because he liked him so when Spoon came to SLU he said it was not a decision that was hard for him.  I do understand that Clags was really leaning hard to N Iowa.

What don't you know about S2?  I thought it was pretty well pieced together on the board.

Feel free to post your essay about what happened. I still of the opinion we (or maybe just I) know veeeeeeerrrrrryyyy little little about what went down. Few other times I've been chastised on here like it's all out there but I think this is nutz. Privacy an issue I respect but to say we know everything is as stupid imo as saying we don't need to see fuhrer's tax returns as we already know which also is BS..

There have been some great teams over the past 30 years, with some outstanding players and coaches, but I am as excited for the future of the program as I ever have been.  I knew Ford could recruit, but this season has proved me wrong on his coaching ability.  I refuse to worry about losing Travis to a better job offer.  A lot of people believe this was just a spot for him to regroup after the firing at Oklahoma St, but the A10 is a good basketball conference and he is in a good recruiting area so I won't worry until it happens.  If he puts together a good run here and he leaves, then the fans get to enjoy it.  He may find that he can routinely build a top 15 team and get a contract he is happy with and stay for a long time.  Either way, it's really nice to have some fun after being down.  Go Bills!

CG is still on my mind because we would have an almost autobid if we didn’t lose 10 games in the A10. CG helped us early on. If he didn’t bring the team down, it would be a different story. 

He almost cost Bess, Isabel and Ford out on another tourney. I never knew Tremaine never went. That’s what irks me. It affected the entire team and some people’s careers and college experience. 

This is the hot take but Ford’s seat would have been getting warm if we didn’t have a miracle in Brooklyn, which I credit to him immensely. But we were one Hail Mary shot away from not making the Tourney. We still finished 6th in a 2 bid conference. 

We were banking on an autobid with CG

With regard to TF staying as the Billiken HC for quite a while, I have stated a few times that there would be no reason for him to leave (assuming $$$ are somewhat equal) if he can get the program to be in the same discussion as, for example Xavier and Creighton.  If those schools, along with a few other small-mid sized private schools (e.g. Gonzaga/Nova) can excel aver a number of years, then why not SLU?  Note that the public perception of X and Creighton is probably that they are a higher level program than SLU, but guess what.  We are in the Dance this year and neither of those two are!

My point is that getting SLU to be considered, on a national level, as close to NOVA and Gonzaga, and the equal of X  and the Blue Jays, will allow Travis to recruit at an even higher level than he is doing right now.  With all the local talent fair game and with an enhanced reputation nationally, I think that might be just what's needed to keep him here.  By the way, becoming a Beast member would be helpful!

A few points unrelated to the above:

Ford and his family really like living in St. Louis-I know this for sure;

He likes being close enough to his parents for them to be at all the home games;

He doesn't want to pull his two younger children out of their academic environment;

He likes having enough local talent to recruit that he doesn't need to travel all the time to watch recruits, which gives him more family time; and

He has developed a very positive relationship with the St. Louis coaching community.

Having said all that, if UK came calling I think he would be gone, but I don't see them needing a new coach for the foreseeable future.  Also, if someone pulled up the Brinks truck that would be hard to resist but without a long run of NCAAs here I don't see that for quite a while. 

Let's enjoy having him as our HC and encourage friends and family to increase/start better support for the program; e.g. better financial support through the Billiken Club and sold out arenas, making the Fetz a tough ticket.  Maybe then the high rollers will actually use their expensive seats.

Great job Travis and staff.  Keep the recruits coming. 

"Build it and they will come"

1 hour ago, almaman said:

Feel free to post your essay about what happened. I still of the opinion we (or maybe just I) know veeeeeeerrrrrryyyy little little about what went down. Few other times I've been chastised on here like it's all out there but I think this is nutz. Privacy an issue I respect but to say we know everything is as stupid imo as saying we don't need to see fuhrer's tax returns as we already know which also is BS..

What I posted was what Highmark had said in an interview not my guesses so I would say it is accurate.

13 hours ago, WorstCallIveEverSeen said:

Man I sure miss Spoon, and Rammer with his H-bomb calls (and he certainly took HIS guys there)...that being said, Travis has been masterful over the past few games, and this win has to help in recruiting despite what some people believe.  It may be next year, it could be a transfer, it could be a 15 year old we don't know about yet, but the exposure and success of a program is nothing but a win.  I doubt there is a Paul O'Liney sitting at home on the couch and saw this game and makes a decision to come to SLU, but you never know what the benefits of this win and trip to the dance will do for the program.  Martin is a decent coach at Mizzou, and hopefully Brad Underwood can turn things around for Illinois, but with both Illinois and Missouri both fighting for many of the same kids that SLU is, this can't hurt!  I mean wouldn't you want a coach who is animated on the sidelines and decides to take a leap into a pile of humanity in celebration of the biggest win in years??  Think how loud home games could be next season!  I remember the days when we were 7th in the nation in attendance under Spoon!

Welcome back, STLHI.

1 hour ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

CG is still on my mind because we would have an almost autobid if we didn’t lose 10 games in the A10. CG helped us early on. If he didn’t bring the team down, it would be a different story. 

He almost cost Bess, Isabel and Ford out on another tourney. I never knew Tremaine never went. That’s what irks me. It affected the entire team and some people’s careers and college experience. 

This is the hot take but Ford’s seat would have been getting warm if we didn’t have a miracle in Brooklyn, which I credit to him immensely. But we were one Hail Mary shot away from not making the Tourney. We still finished 6th in a 2 bid conference. 

You're mixing up the terms automatic bid and at-large bid.  You appear to mean to say, "a lock for an at-large."

1 hour ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

1 True,

2 True, and surprising as you should know that he went to Mizzou,

3 Ridiculous, if they fired him after this season - winning tournament I'd throw away my blue cool aid mug forever.

4 True