THANK YOU COACH FORD

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

41 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Not to rain on this "big uptick in recruiting high" I remember when Weber was at IL and he went to the Final 4 everyone said that this was going to make his recruiting of the top players so much easier.  Weber later said that kids have already made their minds up by the time they are juniors and that unless you are on their list to start with it would not help much.  He said he expected a 2 year lag before the recruiting really benefited from their run.  He apparently was right because he was let go 3 years ( I think) later.  I agree this run doesn't hurt us but the best we can hope for realistically is it moves the needle for those who we are already in the hunt.

It's the guys that are really close that need a shove that drop into our laps.

5 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

All I did was point out what Weber experienced.  Sorry if you have trouble following the line of thought.

My take is y u b doing that? no one @ a parade is seeking rainers and I think that goes for here too.

58 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Not to rain on this "big uptick in recruiting high" I remember when Weber was at IL and he went to the Final 4 everyone said that this was going to make his recruiting of the top players so much easier.  Weber later said that kids have already made their minds up by the time they are juniors and that unless you are on their list to start with it would not help much.  He said he expected a 2 year lag before the recruiting really benefited from their run.  He apparently was right because he was let go 3 years ( I think) later.  I agree this run doesn't hurt us but the best we can hope for realistically is it moves the needle for those who we are already in the hunt.

I agree that big uptick is overstating the impact.  Where I think it can help is getting out-of state guys we're already recruiting to take us more seriously. It's hard to pull even a 3 star guard from the East Coast without a national profile. Keep making tournaments and that will change.  This is a huge step, though!

In the last 50 years (aka since the rise to preeminence of the NCAA Tournament), how many SLU coaches have led THEIR OWN team to the NCAA tournament? Two until today - Spoonhour and Majerus.  

Mad love to Coach Ford for joining an elite group and putting our dancing shoes back on. 

2 hours ago, mechee89 said:

We outscored our opponents in the second half, 144-91. Holding them to just under 23 per game. Terrific defense. Amazing coaching.

15 and 19 in the 2nd half the last 2 games. The Bonnies 19 points in the final 23:30

3 hours ago, cheeseman said:

I get your point and I think recruits that have been recently offered for 2019 are the ones that might take notice.  Carpenter is one recruit that comes to mind that I hope if he is considering us would like what he saw, if watching, on National TV.

The hometown 2020 recruits will get to see a lot of Billiken coverage on TV and this is something Weber could not benefit from, the metro area produces many good players.

Wow, what a great day today and most of the fans believe anything good can happen now and that is a great thing enjoy the big dance.

Pulling that win out of the fire in front of a national audience was beautiful. Then having the Billiken logo popping up over and over again for everyone in the country to see, especially recruits is exposure you cant afford to buy. Somebody in the A10 deserves credit for staging the final there. Ford deserves credit for beatung the odds and getting the win.  He has assembeled Team Blue and they are tough.  Today the basketball world met the Billiken Bruisers. 

49 minutes ago, Compton said:

In the last 50 years (aka since the rise to preeminence of the NCAA Tournament), how many SLU coaches have led THEIR OWN team to the NCAA tournament? Two until today - Spoonhour and Majerus.  

Mad love to Coach Ford for joining an elite group and putting our dancing shoes back on. 

Your discounting the Welmer minute?

LindellWest and Compton like this

1 hour ago, Compton said:

Spoon had grawer recruits iirc

That was an absolutely brilliant coaching performance by Coach Travis Ford, throughout the A10 Tournament, from lowly Richmond and the travesty of the officiating in that first game, to rival Dayton, to a brilliant game plan against Davidson, to today's glorious A10 Championship Victory over the dreaded Bonnies.  

Needing to get as much in game rest in the players as possible for these Magnificent 7 (in the Davidson game 6) to play and win 4 games in 4 days, today against the Bonnies Ford came out in the zone in the first half.  But in that second half the Billikens returned to vintage St. Louis U man to man defense and rattled the Bonnies big time.

Ford's bench coaching in this series was at Maestro Majerus level.

Bravo Travis, and hearty Congratulations on a job well done.  

The Billikens fought their hearts out in Brooklyn and greatly deserve to be 2019 A10 Champions.  Bravo Billikens.

We have 2 proud SLU alumni about to board our flight at JFK homeward bound to SFO.

The Billikens are dancing in our backyard in San Jose.

Bring on the Hokies, as the Billikens begin the march to the Sweet 16.

4 hours ago, dennis_w said:

An uptick in recruiting may be wishful thinking or a reality we won't know for awhile.. but is not an unreasonable  opinion . I don't  think so anyway 

Could help seal the deal with some SLU is already recruiting ......

'Just wanted to come to your message board and say congrats on your victory over my alma mater today and your invitation to the Big Dance!!  You guys overcame a lot of adversity this year and a lot of bad luck against us in the past to exert the best defense of the day against us and earn your victory!!  Coach Ford did a great job of keeping your players' heads in the game and the players were masterful at executing the second half plan.  They didn't allow themselves to get rattled and knew just what to do on offense taking it inside to take advantage of our big man in foul trouble and our lack of depth there.  Your team's defense on the other side was so stifling I was afraid we might not even hit double digit scoring as a TEAM in the 2nd half at times!!!  Good luck in the tourney and hopefully we BOTH continue to get better as the future goes on!!! Go Atlantic 10!!!

5 hours ago, CoachSBU said:

'Just wanted to come to your message board and say congrats on your victory over my alma mater today and your invitation to the Big Dance!!  You guys overcame a lot of adversity this year and a lot of bad luck against us in the past to exert the best defense of the day against us and earn your victory!!  Coach Ford did a great job of keeping your players' heads in the game and the players were masterful at executing the second half plan.  They didn't allow themselves to get rattled and knew just what to do on offense taking it inside to take advantage of our big man in foul trouble and our lack of depth there.  Your team's defense on the other side was so stifling I was afraid we might not even hit double digit scoring as a TEAM in the 2nd half at times!!!  Good luck in the tourney and hopefully we BOTH continue to get better as the future goes on!!! Go Atlantic 10!!!

Thank you for your classy post. It was great meeting all the Bonnie fans in Brooklyn. Good luck to the Bonnies. You are our brothers.

Man I sure miss Spoon, and Rammer with his H-bomb calls (and he certainly took HIS guys there)...that being said, Travis has been masterful over the past few games, and this win has to help in recruiting despite what some people believe.  It may be next year, it could be a transfer, it could be a 15 year old we don't know about yet, but the exposure and success of a program is nothing but a win.  I doubt there is a Paul O'Liney sitting at home on the couch and saw this game and makes a decision to come to SLU, but you never know what the benefits of this win and trip to the dance will do for the program.  Martin is a decent coach at Mizzou, and hopefully Brad Underwood can turn things around for Illinois, but with both Illinois and Missouri both fighting for many of the same kids that SLU is, this can't hurt!  I mean wouldn't you want a coach who is animated on the sidelines and decides to take a leap into a pile of humanity in celebration of the biggest win in years??  Think how loud home games could be next season!  I remember the days when we were 7th in the nation in attendance under Spoon!

Zink and BIG BILL FAN like this