GDT Survive and Advance Brown Welders Edition

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, almaman said:

The last plays worthy of Zapruder ish rewatching, Bad angle but it looks like Isabell almost fouled the shooter, when Bess had just almost stolen ball right before that it was pretty close to over and back.

I was just reading the Bonnie forum GDT and right at the end they discuss that. The guy with the last word said:

It appears he hit him slightly on his hands after Nelson let it fly. I think he knew the shot was off after it left his hand and tried to get the call with a little acting. However, if you look at the replay, by the time he is going down all the refs are looking in toward the rim.

7 hours ago, Pistol said:

Another weird box score.

Goodwin was the star of the game, hands down. 17 points and 15 rebounds, and he added 3 assists, 3 blocks, and 2 steals. Felt like 4-5 steals, too, and he finished with no turnovers and just one foul. His 3-point shooting wasn't good (1-5), and the same for his FT shooting (1-3), but 7-15 overall isn't bad and he was all over the floor.

We finished with another abysmal slashline: .373/.182/.467. I guess we were able to overcome this with just 6 turnovers and the fact SBU shot .339 from the field. Good D. Isabell had 4 of those 6 turnovers and French had the other two.

Wiley was +13, by far the best +/- on the team. French was next at +3.

We got outrebounded 42-39.

Fouls were 16 to 11, but SBU only had that many more because of how much they had to foul at the end. The refs let them play today.

I'm not sure what to take away from this box score, except that there's more than one way to win. I thought we had no chance unless Bess and Isabell were both clicking, and neither of them had a great game. If they can both find their form against VT, we'll have a great shot.

Very interesting comment Pistol. What I take out of what you said above is that at times the best models (based upon slashlines and other stats) do  not reflect reality. It is possible, although not particularly easy, to win despite adverse stats. Agree this does not happen easily. Someone, probably Goodwin as per the last game, has to be determined to win and perform above expectations.

7 hours ago, Pistol said:

Goodwin was the star of the game, hands down. 17 points and 15 rebounds, and he added 3 assists, 3 blocks, and 2 steals. Felt like 4-5 steals, too, and he finished with no turnovers and just one foul.

Pistol: get a grip OK?  Goodwin clearly needs a ton of work!  I mean, like, a TON!!

Just to state one obvious example:  he only played 39 minutes!!!  Where's the stamina??  Get in the weight room, do laps, whatever... 

Hey, DoctorFraud ------ tons of work might improve 1-for-5 from three and 1-of-3 from the free throw line (according to Pistol's stats).  Plus his ballhandling skills (which are shown needy only when pressed which the Bunnies didn't do until late and at that point we are going to Bess and Isabell).  Mid-range shooting.  Three Point shooting.  Free throw shooting.  Ballhandling.  Tons.  Tons.  Tons.  Tons.  Kid did what he had to do and what he does best.  He scored in different ways despite suspect shooting.  And that is, as Pistol noted, strange basketball.  But it happens. 

You keep flaunting that Kmart PhD around.  You're blowing me away. 

billikenbill likes this

7 hours ago, White Pelican said:

I was just reading the Bonnie forum GDT and right at the end they discuss that. The guy with the last word said:
It appears he hit him slightly on his hands after Nelson let it fly. I think he knew the shot was off after it left his hand and tried to get the call with a little acting. However, if you look at the replay, by the time he is going down all the refs are looking in toward the rim.

It was well after the release and when you get a view facing the baseline, it looks like there was minimal or no contact and that he flopped hard. It's the right no-call, and it's also consistent with how the crew had officiated the game to that point.

When you rewatch the last two minutes, there were a lot of 50-50 calls. They more or less played out evenly over the course of those minutes.

In the end, Bonaventure got several pretty clean looks to tie or win. They missed all of them.

cheeseman likes this

Sometimes you are the windshield ------- I was there in 2014 when the Bunnie player hit the game ending three from the top of the key.  I think it was Gaithers if memory serves.  We were the #1 seed.  Had built a ten point halftime lead.  Were cruising in the last year of the Majerus players under [dead].  Jett was POY.  And the clock expired when that shot went it.  Little did we know that [dead] had run the team into the ground by then and that loss was telling.  Plus I ate the full package of tickets I bought for that tournament by losing the =first game so yeah, I harbor extreme dislike for them Bunnies.

After losign eight in a rwo to them, they can enjoy being the bug.  Did they make any other tournament?  I haven't looked.

1 hour ago, DoctorB said:

Pistol: get a grip OK?  Goodwin clearly needs a ton of work!  I mean, like, a TON!!

Just to state one obvious example:  he only played 39 minutes!!!  Where's the stamina??  Get in the weight room, do laps, whatever... 

Doc you forgot the blue ink, most MBM don't understand without it.

2 hours ago, DoctorB said:

If it wasn’t for S2 seems he’d be a good candidate for career minutes. 

18 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Sometimes you are the windshield ------- I was there in 2014 when the Bunnie player hit the game ending three from the top of the key.  I think it was Gaithers if memory serves.  We were the #1 seed.  Had built a ten point halftime lead.  Were cruising in the last year of the Majerus players under [dead].  Jett was POY.  And the clock expired when that shot went it.  Little did we know that [dead] had run the team into the ground by then and that loss was telling.  Plus I ate the full package of tickets I bought for that tournament by losing the =first game so yeah, I harbor extreme dislike for them Bunnies.

After losing eight in a rwo to them, they can enjoy being the bug.  Did they make any other tournament?  I haven't looked.

Bonnies didn’t make the NIT, and weren’t going to the CBI. CIT doesn’t offer the A-10.

Dayton and Davidson to NIT.  Daytites upset that #1) they have toplay away from Dayton and it's guaranteed sell out, and #2) have to play on same night as first four.  Poor staff will be stretched so thin. 

37 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Hey, DoctorFraud ------ tons of work might improve 1-for-5 from three and 1-of-3 from the free throw line (according to Pistol's stats).  Plus his ballhandling skills (which are shown needy only when pressed which the Bunnies didn't do until late and at that point we are going to Bess and Isabell).  Mid-range shooting.  Three Point shooting.  Free throw shooting.  Ballhandling.  Tons.  Tons.  Tons.  Tons.  Kid did what he had to do and what he does best.  He scored in different ways despite suspect shooting.  And that is, as Pistol noted, strange basketball.  But it happens. 

You keep flaunting that Kmart PhD around.  You're blowing me away. 

You both make good points.  If Perkins + Jimerson + Collins  >  Isabell + Bess then there's nothing to worry about.  The bulk of the shooting will be taken care and we'll have plus ball handling when Yuri is in the game.  Goodwin can continue to play to his strengths and be the X factor in big games. If Goodwin has to be the 1st or 2nd option on offense, then shooting is a major concern.

It will be fascinating to see how it all works out.  The good thing is we don't have to worry about Goodwin and French never making the Dance. We don't need the answer to emerge right away.

10 hours ago, Pistol said:

Another weird box score.

Goodwin was the star of the game, hands down. 17 points and 15 rebounds, and he added 3 assists, 3 blocks, and 2 steals. Felt like 4-5 steals, too, and he finished with no turnovers and just one foul. His 3-point shooting wasn't good (1-5), and the same for his FT shooting (1-3), but 7-15 overall isn't bad and he was all over the floor.

We finished with another abysmal slashline: .373/.182/.467. I guess we were able to overcome this with just 6 turnovers and the fact SBU shot .339 from the field. Good D. Isabell had 4 of those 6 turnovers and French had the other two.

Wiley was +13, by far the best +/- on the team. French was next at +3.

We got outrebounded 42-39.

Fouls were 16 to 11, but SBU only had that many more because of how much they had to foul at the end. The refs let them play today.

I'm not sure what to take away from this box score, except that there's more than one way to win. I thought we had no chance unless Bess and Isabell were both clicking, and neither of them had a great game. If they can both find their form against VT, we'll have a great shot.

It was a weird box score....Almost all the stats went against us....key word is almost... As I pointed in the post game analysis on the St. B spread thread....The key stat that help win the game ...the stat that helped us win all the games in the tournament was TOs.  In the SB game,  we had a season low of 6 TOs....we averaged 8 / gm (32 total)  for the whole tourney ...anything in single digits is outstanding....We are 16th ITN in the last 3 games for TOs   The 24 TOs we had in the last 3 games was the same total we had for 1 game this season. 

The 6 TOs  in the SB game created a TO spread of 5 in the Bills favor....worth 10 pts to us.... a game changer.

What to take away from the box score?  Single digit TOs can make up for a weak offense........Single digit TOs lead to wins. Coupled with great defense , you are in every game ...no matter who you play.

Pistol likes this

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

Thank you, RaG.  But I'm okay.  I will not stop, however, from pointing out the clueless. 

Dude. You're just as clueless as everyone else on this board. Get over yourself and stop acting like you're some kind of superior intellectual sent by god to "call out the clueless".

What an exciting win. Go Billikens! 

1 hour ago, Gym Rat said:

The audio of this clip is Rammer and Earl on the final play of the game.  You can feel the happiness in both of their voices (i believe Earl is actually crying).  Good stuff...Roll Bills

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/recap?gameId=401121540

Just gave me a big ol s*** eatin grin. Love this.