Richmond Postgame, Dayton Pregame thread

7 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Ah, so Bernadette McGlade is the Deep Throat in charge of this scandal.  Now we are getting somewhere.  She is afraid we will bolt for the Valley, so let's see if we can thrash SLU's record so the Valley won't want them. 

Got it. 

While one suspects the Valley reference is sarcasm sans the blue ink, irrespective,  SLU is obviously not bolting for the Valley. No, for better or worse, for richer or poorer, SLU is parked seemingly for the foreseeable future in the A10. 

10 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Ah, so Bernadette McGlade is the Deep Throat in charge of this scandal.  Now we are getting somewhere.  She is afraid we will bolt for the Valley, so let's see if we can thrash SLU's record so the Valley won't want them. 

Got it. 

Think bigger.  The Vatican has a lot of enemies.

Ok forget the referees for a minute, looking at pictures from the Billiken contingent last night I was reminded of something that’s puzzled me for years: why does it seem like Billiken fans don’t embrace the color blue when attending games. Every time I’ve visited another arena or conference tournament everyone is wearing their teams color. Am I off base(I could be) on this? Is it because we’re blue and white and the white just doesn’t register? Thoughts? 

14 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Ok forget the referees for a minute, looking at pictures from the Billiken contingent last night I was reminded of something that’s puzzled me for years: why does it seem like Billiken fans don’t embrace the color blue when attending games. Every time I’ve visited another arena or conference tournament everyone is wearing their teams color. Am I off base(I could be) on this? Is it because we’re blue and white and the white just doesn’t register? Thoughts? 

O you mean red cardinals gear doesn’t work?  But for real, I wish everyone always wore blue.  it would make whiteouts that much cooler. 

25 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

It was not just the fouls, although that was blatantly one sided- 1 foul called on Richmond in the entire 1st Half, it was also not calling multiple violations on Richmond when it had the ball, multiple no calls on Golden traveling, no call on a UR double dribble. 

As for SLU vis-a-vis the A10, the relationship reminds of what then STL Mayor Vince Schoemel once said, namely that STL and the Football Cardinals were like a bad marriage.

Billiken Roy and I had a civil conversation a few days ago about how the rules have changed since we played.  Traveling is no longer called.  You are allowed to take multiple steps now, per the Euro-Step.  (To me, Isabell is one of the 'best' Euro-Step artists in the game.)  Is it right, no, not to us old guys.  But that is the game today.  When is the last palming the ball call you saw?  When I played if your hand was below the center line of the ball, whistle.  How many three second violations are called?  Maybe one every 10 games.  Guys camp in the lane.

So Golden traveling, UR double dribbling, that's the nature of the game today.  The way the game has been allowed to evolve, if they called true travels, true double dribbles, true fouls, our 20 point scoring total would be broken quickly.

There is no big conspiracy against the Bills the officials just suck at their job. Look at it like this, almost every game one team, and it’s usaully the Bills, are down in fouls by a wide margin. Then by the end of the game it almost always evens up.

The refs suck. They know they suck. So they try to get the fouls close by the end of the game . That way both sides are ticked off.

Its like Brett Jolly. He wasn’t intentionally trying to lose games for the Bills he just Isn’t a good basketball player. Same as the refs.

10 hours ago, Littlebill said:

I hope Thatch starts instead of Foreman

Love Thatch right now. That said DJ has turned it up against SVU and a big game from him (he’s fairly rested) is what we need tonight. Go Bills!!!!

8 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Seven offensive rebounds last night for Goodwin.  That is just an amazing number.  He got an offensive rebound on almost one out four chances last night night.  The team as a whole got an offensive rebound on almost 1 out of 2 chances (48.6%) last night.

We had 2 or 3 offensive rebounds on missed free throws which was wild!

8 minutes ago, dlarry said:

The refs suck. They know they suck. So they try to get the fouls close by the end of the game . That way both sides are ticked off.

What got me last night was when the announcers said the refs starred down ford after the first foul was called after ford went nuts.  that pretty much proves the refs didnt want to call it, but they had too. 

3 minutes ago, BJK said:

Love Thatch right now. That said DJ has turned it up against SVU and a big game from him (he’s fairly rested) is what we need tonight. Go Bills!!!!

correct, foreman's averaging 16 ppg and 5 rebounds in the two meetings against SVU this season. 

I think it's important that we get off to a quick lead tonight because 1. You could expect Dayton to come out a little rusty since they've been off a week and we found a nice groove in the 2nd half yesterday and 2. Our players will probably start to feel the fatigue of playing in multiple days towards the end of the game while Dayton could start to get hot.

1 minute ago, slubillikens43 said:

I think it's important that we get off to a quick lead tonight because 1. You could expect Dayton to come out a little rusty since they've been off a week and we found a nice groove in the 2nd half yesterday and 2. Our players will probably start to feel the fatigue of playing in multiple days towards the end of the game while Dayton could start to get hot.

Hopefully Dayton acts like Richmond in richmonds first game.

1 minute ago, slubillikens43 said:

Thump em early. We are jacked up and they are coming off a week break... then hold the line... then desperately see our margin shrink and gut it out in the last two minutes. DJ with 20. JG with a triple double. 

50 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Please list the conferences where physical teams don't get more calls against them than teams that play a more passive system.

I don't think there is a reffing conspiracy or anything, but I used to watch a lot of Marquette games up close, and I really believe the more physical team was rewarded for playing through fouls (I'm talking the old Big East, haven't been to a game in a while).

12 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Billiken Roy and I had a civil conversation a few days ago about how the rules have changed since we played.  Traveling is no longer called.  You are allowed to take multiple steps now, per the Euro-Step.  (To me, Isabell is one of the 'best' Euro-Step artists in the game.)  Is it right, no, not to us old guys.  But that is the game today.  When is the last palming the ball call you saw?  When I played if your hand was below the center line of the ball, whistle.  How many three second violations are called?  Maybe one every 10 games.  Guys camp in the lane.

So Golden traveling, UR double dribbling, that's the nature of the game today.  The way the game has been allowed to evolve, if they called true travels, true double dribbles, true fouls, our 20 point scoring total would be broken quickly.

To carry or palm the ball it needs to come to rest in the players hand and the player must gain an advantage. There is no imaginary center line that your hand must stay above. 

Many traveling calls are also misunderstood. For example French's jump stop in the lane. The announcers kept saying he traveled, however, he was in the air when he made his last dribble therefore he still has 2 steps when he comes down as long as he doesn't pause or stop and hold the ball. Refs got this one right. Now Golden did travel on one where he received a pass or picked up his dribble (I can't remember which) but his momentum stopped and he was clearly stopped it wasn't a continuous drive to the basket. he then took 2 steps to the hole. Travel.  Refs got this one wrong

Cincybill likes this

I like Nick's word .... egregious. 

I am not surprised by the offensive rebounding numbers from last night.  Richmond is weak, physically and depth-wise.  Gilyard is Dunn-Martin with a funkier haircut.  Golden goes 290 but the rest are bean poles.  They start two physically weak white kids at the two and three.  They play a zone and everyone knows the biggest weakness in a zone is rebounding box outs.  Jordan Goodwin roams and dominates in this type of setting.  At least on the glass.  We tend to get outrebounded when we zone as well.  Goodwin may well have been our second-best player behind French last night doing what he does best.  His poor shooting numbers were amplified by being forced to hoist desperation threes at the end of shot clocks.  He missed a double-double by clanking four free throws.  But we don't win without him.

Refs supposedly call what they see.  Gilyard is one of the A10 greats at throwing his head back while dribbling.  He and Sincere Carry lead the league in that.  Isabell is a close third.  There continues to be a lot of off-arm arm barring when all guys drive.  Cayo hooked French on one drive.  Isabell's drawn charge had him in the restricted zone but he drew that three-point foul at half. And no call.  Golden had Isabell's arm and not the ball on that late jump ball call.  French dominated ==== and well should have.  Tonight, Cunningham, Toppin, Mikesell and Landers will be flopping allover the lane.  The first half disparity in foul calls was amazing --- you don't foul jump shooter but we are certainly not that.  How does VCU get away with their style of play year after year?  A10 HQ is in Newport News, Virginia.  Hmmmmm.

Foreman has been a beast against Dayton this year.  I don't think you can go with Thatch right away.  If they can Mooney as rumored, Richmond will be even weaker as they try to figure out the next style.  But Sherrod will be back from injury next  year and right now, they will be better.

To his credit, Ford fought for his guys last night.  His comments both at the half and post game to Tim McCormick on fouls were right on.  I am sure he didn't endear himself to the league offices.  But a win is a win.

I so desperately want to send Dayton home to a first round NIT game tonight.  The NIT will see 13,000 wallets ripe for the picking; give them four or eight games or how ever many they can plunder.  Eliminating Dayton would be sweet!

I yelled to mooney last night second half, "hey mooney, where's your tie?" He looked right at me with an indescribable look.   Like he had just been outed for dress code violation in high school.  

Zink likes this

Jordan had to toss up 2 clock expiring shots making him actually 3-5 from the field. His 2nd half last night was as good of a half as I've seen him play. His domination on the offensive glass won us the game as much as French's scoring did. 

2 hours ago, slufanskip said:

To carry or palm the ball it needs to come to rest in the players hand and the player must gain an advantage. There is no imaginary center line that your hand must stay above. 

Many traveling calls are also misunderstood. For example French's jump stop in the lane. The announcers kept saying he traveled, however, he was in the air when he made his last dribble therefore he still has 2 steps when he comes down as long as he doesn't pause or stop and hold the ball. Refs got this one right. Now Golden did travel on one where he received a pass or picked up his dribble (I can't remember which) but his momentum stopped and he was clearly stopped it wasn't a continuous drive to the basket. he then took 2 steps to the hole. Travel.  Refs got this one wrong

You missed my point. I'm talking about how the game was called 'back in the days', not how it is now.  Yes we had to stop after every bucket to get the ball out of the peach basket.

4 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

You missed my point. I'm talking about how the game was called 'back in the days', not how it is now.  Yes we had to stop after every bucket to get the ball out of the peach basket.

I got your point. I don 't ever remember the game being called that way.