Richmond Postgame, Dayton Pregame thread

So I just have to say, a Saint Louis Cardiologist is missing out on a solid advertising campaign for SLU Basketball. 

Freethrows almost cost us that game, it needs to be better next year.

St Joes is Davidson's achillis heel it seems so its possible that if we beat Dayton, we can play a much more tired and easier team than Davidson. Things can go really right

If I recall our prior games with Richmond, Goldman (who is a superb shooter) has always been a problem, the little guard which is extremely quick (Guilfoyle? not sure of the  name) has also been a problem for us. So, yes, Richmond has been difficult for us.

3 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

I hope Thatch starts instead of Foreman

He was tough as nails in the 2nd half on defense. Gotta love that kid. He's going to be a good one before his career at SLU is over!

8 hours ago, GBL_Bills said:

Dayton seems to refuse to switch to a zone against us, allowing us to feast inside (at least for the game at Chaifetz)

I'd expect a zone. If French plays like he did last night and the refs are fair, he'll put Dayton's big in foul trouble. 

19 minutes ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Would anyone be surprised if there’s a referee cheating scandal revieled in the near future? Yesterday’s call against Thatch sealed the deal for me that this game is rigged against us 

Please explain the clandestine national agenda against SLU.  Who is benefiting?  Who is paying for this scandal?  Is the FBI involved?  Is there a 'Deep Throat" involved?  Who is giving out the orders?  Does the President know about this?  Perhaps he sanctioned it?

willie likes this

9 minutes ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Would anyone be surprised if there’s a referee cheating scandal revieled in the near future? Yesterday’s call against Thatch sealed the deal for me that this game is rigged against us 

That one drove me back to the scotch bottle. Travis had to be restrained by Tate. Ending up slumped in his chair. 

14 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Please explain the clandestine national agenda against SLU.  Who is benefiting?  Who is paying for this scandal?  Is the FBI involved?  Is there a 'Deep Throat" involved?  Who is giving out the orders?  Does the President know about this?  Perhaps he sanctioned it?

This. 

A-10 refs are bad. We’re physical. They anticipate fouls on us before they actually happen (e.g. Thatch steal).  It’s not a conspiracy.  The refs are just incompetent and that plays out most obviously with more aggressive teams like SLU.

SLU_Nick, Zink and Pistol like this

26 minutes ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

That ridiculous call against Thatch led BAB to advise the ref this is major college basketball, not the CYO!

The Thatch call was egregious....other than that I just think it takes an above average ref to control the game when we play.  We play physical and when the ref let collisions with Isabell drawing a charge go with no call, but then call French for a bump, it is particularly infuriating.  

When Gilyard flails as he gets his pocket picked clean by the Thatch and gets a call, it teaches him that he should do that the rest of the game and he will be rewarded.  

On the last second Richmond heave Gilyard tried to sell a foul and I am sure the ref filled his lungs with air ready to blow the whistle before he decided that he just wanted to go home for the night and not risk OT.  

We really cannot go 5/16 from the free throw line and expect to win anymore games this season.  

28 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

This. 

A-10 refs are bad. We’re physical. They anticipate fouls on us before they actually happen (e.g. Thatch steal).  It’s not a conspiracy.  The refs are just incompetent and that plays out most obviously with more aggressive teams like SLU.

Please list the conferences where the refs are good. 

Please list the conferences where physical teams don't get more calls against them than teams that play a more passive system.

I'll agree the call on Thatch was bad.  That's one.  The rest of the game was about what you would expect.   Mooney was complaining too. 13 fouls on the physical team, 12 fouls on the more passive team.  Hey, it's okay to complain about the refs.  Everyone, including me, does it.  But to think that SLU has been isolated, targeted, identified as the bad guy, and there is a conspiracy against us is funny.

PLUS, I'm glad we don't get to the line very often.  I'd much rather take our chances in the open court than on the FT line.  We are horrible as a team at the line.

37 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I wouldn’t say National at all. But would you be shocked to hear that the NFL would try to not allow a Super Bowl hosting city to have their team in the NFL? They make millions off of hotel revenue when they buy out all hotels years in advance. If there’s a local team they lose half their investment. 

All I’m saying is there are crazier things that have happened before. Maybe the A10 benefits keeping SLU down so they don’t leave the conference? 

You know how when it turns out rich people bought their kids into college and everyone is pretty much saying “well yea we all knew that”

and when colleges just got caught paying off players and no one was surprised 

imagine a ref scandal. Again no one would really be shocked 

rgbilliken likes this

6 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Please list the conferences where physical teams don't get more calls against them than teams that play a more passive system.

I'll agree the call on Thatch was bad.  That's one.  The rest of the game was about what you would expect.   Mooney was complaining too. 13 fouls on the physical team, 12 fouls on the more passive team.  Hey, it's okay to complain about the refs.  Everyone, including me, does it.  But to think that SLU has been isolated, targeted, identified as the bad guy, and there is a conspiracy against us is funny.

PLUS, I'm glad we don't get to the line very often.  I'd much rather take our chances in the open court than on the FT line.  We are horrible as a team at the line.

If only you had seen the give and take between the one ref and ford and then the sucking up to mooney after each encounter.   No way thats right.   Not saying it is any establishment conspiracy and might have just been a presonal d!ck from that one ref, but it wasnt right.   

At least they didn't call a technical on Ford. I wonder if Ford hadn't complained what the foul totals would have been. There were at least two calls that were clear errors - the Thatch call and the non-call against Isabell at end of first half. Both had major impact on course of the game - but thankfully we survived.

2 minutes ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

I wouldn’t say National at all. But would you be shocked to hear that the NFL would try to not allow a Super Bowl hosting city to have their team in the NFL? They make millions off of hotel revenue when they buy out all hotels years in advance. If there’s a local team they lose half their investment. 

All I’m saying is there are crazier things that have happened before. Maybe the A10 benefits keeping SLU down so they don’t leave the conference? 

You know how when it turns out rich people bought their kids into college and everyone is pretty much saying “well yea we all knew that”

and when colleges just got caught paying off players and no one was surprised 

imagine a ref scandal. Again no one would really be shocked 

Ah, so Bernadette McGlade is the Deep Throat in charge of this scandal.  Now we are getting somewhere.  She is afraid we will bolt for the Valley, so let's see if we can thrash SLU's record so the Valley won't want them. 

Got it. 

It was not just the fouls, although that was blatantly one sided- 1 foul called on Richmond in the entire 1st Half, it was also not calling multiple violations on Richmond when it had the ball, multiple no calls on Golden traveling, no call on a UR double dribble. 

As for SLU vis-a-vis the A10, the relationship reminds of what then STL Mayor Vince Schoemel once said, namely that STL and the Football Cardinals were like a bad marriage.

1 minute ago, HoosierPal said:

Hey, it's okay to complain about the refs.  Everyone, including me, does it. But to think that SLU has been isolated, targeted, identified as the bad guy, and there is a conspiracy against us is funny.

Unfortunately HP your statement that it is better to try to finish at the hoop after a foul then go to the line to shoot free throws is true and made me laugh.

You are right and if it is French, Goodwin, Foreman please play on.

I really love the hard nosed power team that we are and it is just unfortunate that the A10 cannot adjust to that style of play. If we foul I want it called but these refs think we fouled and they call it.

Happy Friday 

2 minutes ago, NYBilliken said:

At least they didn't call a technical on Ford. I wonder if Ford hadn't complained what the foul totals would have been. There were at least two calls that were clear errors - the Thatch call and the non-call against Isabell at end of first half. Both had major impact on course of the game - but thankfully we survived.

I agree re the Isabell non-call too, in addition to Thatch. Isabell was trying to draw the foul, but there was clear and obvious contact. That was a foul, in plain view. The ref waived it off, and that should not be a discretionary option for the ref.

In addition, the ref refused Isabell’s 2nd Half timeout attempt when Isabell had the ball.