GDT: Survive and Advance Edition vs Richmond

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

I was glad to see Ford raising hell with the refs, and can't believe they didn't T him up for it. Could've teed up Tramaine as well. 11 Richmond fouls in the second half. Makes you wonder.

It seems them not giving him or TI the T there was key. It was still the first half obviously but I was real worried that if they  T’d him up and we give away two easy points it could have shifted momentum. The fact that only one foul was called on them in the first half was odd but only two other plays were possible fouls. I’m glad he got in their heads and I’m glad they showed restraint and let him vent a bit. 

Greetings, my fellow Billikens, from the Big Apple.

BILLIKENS WIN!!!

This being said and without hyperbole, that may well have been the bar none worst officiated game that I have ever seen.  Those refs nearly gave a clearly inferior Richmond team that game.  Even a Dayton fan on the Q Subway told me SLU was given a lot of bad calls.  The incompetent officiating lasted nearly the entire game, a veritable cornucopia of blown calls.

But BILLIKENS WIN, live to play another day.

Beat Dayton.

Let's Go Bills.

35 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Greetings, my fellow Billikens, from the Big Apple.

BILLIKENS WIN!!!

This being said and without hyperbole, that may well have been the bar none worst officiated game that I have ever seen.  Those refs nearly gave a clearly inferior Richmond team that game.  Even a Dayton fan on the Q Subway told me SLU was given a lot of bad calls.  The incompetent officiating lasted nearly the entire game, a veritable cornucopia of blown calls.

But BILLIKENS WIN, live to play another day.

Beat Dayton.

Let's Go Bills.

The officiating has been atrocious for us all year. I can’t remember more pathetic officiating in any previous season of SLU Basketball. It’s terrible but nothing will be done. 

Unfortunately Ford is getting a bit of a reputation in the conference as a whiner, but how can you blame him?  ONE freaking foul against Richmond the whole half??

5 hours ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

that may well have been the bar none worst officiated game that I have ever seen.  Those refs nearly gave a clearly inferior Richmond team that game.  Even a Dayton fan on the Q Subway told me SLU was given a lot of bad calls.  The incompetent officiating lasted nearly the entire game, a veritable cornucopia of blown calls.

I am glad about the outcome, as you  are. However the issue of the refs with their terrible calls is something that has been going on for the whole season. There seems to be no end in sight.

What was most infuriating about the officiating the one ref openly showed his dislike for ford.   Sarcastic comments and talking down to him and then running over to Mooney (numerous times) to seek acceptance for his standing up to mean ole travis.    It was shocking imo.   They blatantly tried to cheat us.   

33 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

... They blatantly tried to cheat us.   

As Majerus would say, this is the “brutally honest” truth. Why those A10 refs would attempt to aid and abet a clearly inferior, now 20 Loss, and frankly lousy Richmond team over a now 20 Win SLU team is a mystery.

I’ll investigate some more this afternoon while engaging in some diplomacy with my new found Bonnie friends. The Bonnies read our Board, and they are good folks, knowledgeable and passionate fans.

12 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Pretty much every physical team outside the brand name programs get screwed by the refs. The kind of games we're involved in are not fun to officiate.  The refs hate that Ford openly complains about it. Apparently he's just supposed to take the bad calls until more conventional players arrive.

I like the bully’s mixed with shooters and will have to live with incompetent refs anticipated foul calls.

Watching post play from French was a thing of beauty last night.

I want more Frenches on the team.

1 minute ago, Box and Won said:

The Chaifetz throat slash has replaced last year's Rashed Anthony celebration as my favorite Billiken-related gif.

What did he do? - Anthony 

The announcers were just as bad claiming there was just one missed call in the 1st half and that Travis would feel differently after he watched the film. So we are to believe that this team that couldn't commit a foul, despite as Travis said that we kept passing the ball inside,  all of a sudden committed 11 in the 2nd half. 

1 hour ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

As Majerus would say, this is the “brutally honest” truth. Why those A10 refs would attempt to aid and abet a clearly inferior, now 20 Loss, and frankly lousy Richmond team over a now 20 Win SLU team is a mystery.

I’ll investigate some more this afternoon while engaging in some diplomacy with my new found Bonnie friends. The Bonnies read our Board, and they are good folks, knowledgeable and passionate fans.

Bonnie fans suck.

7 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

The announcers were just as bad claiming there was just one missed call in the 1st half and that Travis would feel differently after he watched the film. So we are to believe that this team that couldn't commit a foul, despite as Travis said that we kept passing the ball inside,  all of a sudden committed 11 in the 2nd half. 

Agree. While UR was up by near double digits, did anyone else catch the announcers murmur something about how Richmond was in a nail bitter with Fordham last night and that the opponent tonight(Bills) was "not much better". 

1 minute ago, JGR6396 said:

Agree. While UR was up by near double digits, did anyone else catch the announcers murmur something about how Richmond was in a nail bitter with Fordham last night and that the opponent tonight(Bills) was "not much better". 

I think they said that we were a much better opponent.

JGR6396 likes this

3 minutes ago, slusam said:

I dont know how to find this out but didnt Richmond only have one or two fouls the first half in our earlier game with them. I remember the crowd giving a sarcastic cheer when they called the first one in the second half.

We had 7 before their first.  Their first foul came with 4 minutes left, and it was the only fouled called on Richmond in the first half.  But look, all of a sudden Richmond becomes a violent team in the 2nd half and collects 10 fouls

17 minutes ago, slusam said:

I dont know how to find this out but didnt Richmond only have one or two fouls the first half in our earlier game with them. I remember the crowd giving a sarcastic cheer when they called the first one in the second half.

Our SLU contingent gave a rousing Bronx Cheer to the zebras early in the 2nd Half last night, many of us rising to our feet.

1 hour ago, Box and Won said:

The Chaifetz throat slash has replaced last year's Rashed Anthony celebration as my favorite Billiken-related gif.

The Chaifetz GIF has now Billikens.com's first "Custom Emoji."  If you click the "Emoji" icon in the editor, go to Categories: Billiken GIFs, you should be able find it.  Or type:

:ChaifetzCutThroat:

:ChaifetzCutThroat:

7 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Our SLU contingent gave a rousing Bronx Cheer to the zebras early in the 2nd Half last night, many of us rising to our feet.

The look on the cheating ford hating ref's face when they called that first foul 2nd half and our fan group rose to their feet with the standing ovation was priceless.

1 hour ago, JGR6396 said:

Hmm could be, but I swore I heard otherwise. That would make more sense as I was surprised no one brought it up on here in the moment. 

Yeah it wouldn’t make sense for an announcer to talk about a team in a negative way when you want the viewers to stay tuned into the game