Grad Transfers - 2019

ACE

12 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Would he get minutes here? Is he an A10 level player now?

Can't speak to that, but his slash line for 18-19 is interesting:  46/35/57.  Even more interesting is 17-18: 46/42/63.  I guess i'm struck by how a shooting guard can have good/above average shooting percentage from 2/3, but such a pedestrian/below average FT %age. 

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Butler 6-foot-11 forward Joey Brunk is transferring, source told @TheAthleticIND. He’s a grad transfer with two years of eligibility. The Southport HS product averaged 7.6pts, 3.6rebs and shot 61.7% during his redshirt sophomore season.

Boom, here you go!  Two year big GT.

Brunk has looked pretty good when I've seen him play. I'd take him. He'd do well in the A-10. He can score around the basket. We don't need a great rebounder, we're strong in that area.

36 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Can't speak to that, but his slash line for 18-19 is interesting:  46/35/57.  Even more interesting is 17-18: 46/42/63.  I guess i'm struck by how a shooting guard can have good/above average shooting percentage from 2/3, but such a pedestrian/below average FT %age. 

McKissic would be a rotation player on most Billiken teams.  He's fast, he can handle the ball, he's a good shooter off the dribble and he's a good defender. And I agree, the free throw shooting thing is weird.  It's been that way since high school. 

I don't see the point in getting a two year transfer just so he can be a rotation player though.  A talented freshman can do that.

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

im sure you follow Butler closer than I, but could you help explain why a near 7 footer only averages 3.6 boards a game? Sure his minutes arent real high, but still.

I am not sure if this is the answer but Baldwin was their leading rebounder at 4.9 rpg.  There are times when a 'bigs' assignment is to block out the opponents big, allowing a smaller player to grab the board. That happened with Goodwin, particularly in 2017-18. 

Brunk's counter part, Fowler, who played almost equal minutes in the paint, averaged 3.7 rpg, more or less the same as Brunk.

1 hour ago, Littlebill said:

Would he get minutes here? Is he an A10 level player now?

I think he could definitely play in the A10.  As for getting minutes at SLU...as the team is constructed now I don't think it would be a good fit with the amount of guards on the team.  

While I would love to see McKissic playing for SLU, my sense is there are probably other programs which would give him an opportunity to be a lead guard and impact player. The more I think about it, the only way I can see him coming to SLU is through his friendship with Goodwin or relationship with Tate from BBE.

Coach314 likes this

Hey Ace ----- you should start a thread like Pistol does ... you know .. where he lists the possible recruits for that season.  You could then go in and list al these guys as well.  "Transfers List 2019" or something.   Limit comments like Pistol has.  Unless you are recommending each and every one of the players you post about.  Is that what you're intent is?  if so, my bad.  I then didn't understand the intent.

1 hour ago, ACE said:

West Virginia stretch big Lamont West, 6-8, started 20 games, shot a bunch of 3s, averaged 11 ppg. 

my lord, I want.  Shoots about 5 3's a game.  While he doesnt make them at a high clip, he sounds like a perfect stretch 4

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

Hey Ace ----- you should start a thread like Pistol does ... you know .. where he lists the possible recruits for that season.  You could then go in and list al these guys as well.  "Transfers List 2019" or something.   Limit comments like Pistol has.  Unless you are recommending each and every one of the players you post about.  Is that what you're intent is?  if so, my bad.  I then didn't understand the intent.

I'm only posting the grad transfers that seem like they would fill a need and are good enough that we would want them. There are a lot of grad transfers who don't fit that description, so I'm not listing them. I like the comments and want to see if others think some of these guys are worth pursuing. In another week or two, when the stream of grad transfers begins to slow down, a recap would be good.

Maishe Dailey, he played in every game for NCAA Tourney team. Listed as a 6-7 guard. Not very productive offensively, but known as a defensive stopper. He was more productive his sophomore season when he averaged nearly 5 ppg. 

Not the same priority as getting a big and not my favorite option, but if we want a second grad transfer, could be a decent fallback option. Having a bigger defensive stopper with the graduation of Bess could have some value. The possible SLU connection - he originally committed to Rutgers when Van Macon was on the staff. He got out of that commitment when there was a coaching change and wound up at Iowa.

9 minutes ago, ACE said:

Maishe Dailey, he played in every game for NCAA Tourney team. Listed as a 6-7 guard. Not very productive offensively, but known as a defensive stopper. He was more productive his sophomore season when he averaged nearly 5 ppg. 

Not the same priority as getting a big and not my favorite option, but if we want a second grad transfer, could be a decent fallback option. Having a bigger defensive stopper with the graduation of Bess could have some value. The possible SLU connection - he originally committed to Rutgers when Van Macon was on the staff. He got out of that commitment when there was a coaching change and wound up at Iowa.

I'm actually familiar with this situation. Dailey is looking for a place where he can be a major contributor. He didn't like the 12 min a game he was getting at Iowa. He needs to look at middle of the pack Valley teams, IMO.

On 3/27/2019 at 10:09 AM, brianstl said:

I think Wetzell is a name to watch because I think we were one of the finalists for him when he moved up from D2.  

Didn't know this. I'd take him without question. Athletic (by A10 standards) 6'10 guy who can put the ball on the floor and post up? Serious matchup problem.

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 3:44 PM, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I saw that the Bucknell big man is visiting Kentucky. I guess everyone wants a piece of the grad transfer action.

If he's good enough for UK, he's good enough for us. Hard to win against Calipari though.

I would be interested in hearing how Coach Ford and his staff approach this Transfer Portal issue.  There are large numbers of players entering the Portal daily.  How do they evaluate them?  You can't evaluate them all adequately, so how do they pick and choose.  I would think that they don't have much tape or in depth information on many of them.  You have to act fast, as the 'vultures' desend quickly.  There might be some form of grapevine out there where a contact - AAU coach- puts out feelers early on. Don't know, but this relatively new phenomena has changed the recruiting landscape.  You WANT to have an open schollie or two in hand to pick up a decent player.

Then add on the high school players whose coach leaves where they have committed, and they open up their recruitment.  The NCAA doesn't appear to want to stop anyone from moving on.

On 3/28/2019 at 10:13 AM, wgstl said:

im sure you follow Butler closer than I, but could you help explain why a near 7 footer only averages 3.6 boards a game? Sure his minutes arent real high, but still.

Was a 4 star out of HS.  Bigs do take longer sometimes.  Maybe ready to blossom?

https://247sports.com/player/joey-brunk-32048/

8 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

I'm actually familiar with this situation. Dailey is looking for a place where he can be a major contributor. He didn't like the 12 min a game he was getting at Iowa. He needs to look at middle of the pack Valley teams, IMO.

I agree with this take. Very similar situation to Brady Ellingson. He went on to transfer to Drake and had an excellent year this season. Maishe's effort during the limited minutes showed that he plays with a lot of heart. Had to feel for the kid after he got wrapped up in the situation with voice of the Hawkeyes, Gary Dolphin. For those of you not familiar with that debacle during their matchup against Pittsburgh, here you go.