Grad Transfers - 2019

ACE

1 hour ago, TheChosenOne said:

Regarding Weaver, on the Tweet listing schools who have offered (which included Arizona) I saw some responses saying that Arizona is already oversigned and had to push a kid out the other day.

I found this from I assume an Arizona fan message board (http://playersprogramu.com/arizona-wildcats-basketball-recruiting/arizona-has-no-scholarships-just-offered-2019-grad-transfer-pg-tay-weaver/)

Arizona has NO scholarships & just offered 2019 grad transfer PG Tay Weaver. Will know more soon.

Weaver is a 5'10 PG who averaged 10pts a game and shot 35% from 3 point land. He would be a good back up in an area of need for this coming season. He will most likely accept our offer and be added to the team shortly.

A 35% three point shooter would have lead our team last season.  What is the downside again?

Bizziken and TheChosenOne like this

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

Regarding Weaver, on the Tweet listing schools who have offered (which included Arizona) I saw some responses saying that Arizona is already oversigned and had to push a kid out the other day.

I found this from I assume an Arizona fan message board (http://playersprogramu.com/arizona-wildcats-basketball-recruiting/arizona-has-no-scholarships-just-offered-2019-grad-transfer-pg-tay-weaver/)

Arizona has NO scholarships & just offered 2019 grad transfer PG Tay Weaver. Will know more soon.

Weaver is a 5'10 PG who averaged 10pts a game and shot 35% from 3 point land. He would be a good back up in an area of need for this coming season. He will most likely accept our offer and be added to the team shortly.

Thank you for sharing this information Chosen, I read some of the posts.

It is interesting that Arizona thinks so highly of themselves that a kid just because Arizona wants him and is willing to kick a kid out for him to take that scholarship would be interested in doing this to another player and would like a school that does something like that.

If the kid cares about such things then SLU has a great chance of landing this kid.

If his family still lives in Louisville then they will only be 5 hours away.

25 minutes ago, CBFan said:

It is interesting that Arizona thinks so highly of themselves that a kid just because Arizona wants him and is willing to kick a kid out for him to take that scholarship would be interested in doing this to another player and would like a school that does something like that.

If the kid cares about such things then SLU has a great chance of landing this kid.

Just because the fans don't know the scholarship situation doesn't mean Arizona is kicking kids out to get low major grad transfers that prob won't start at Arizona.

1 hour ago, CBFan said:

4 hours really. Once  out of Metro area nothing to slow you down.

19 hours ago, CBFan said:

I hope coach Ford is always looking at GT’s. If there is a player that can greatly improve the teams weaknesses then recruit them.

It worked for Missouri with Robertson, it worked for SLU with Isabell and whoever is lucky enough to sign Blackshear it will work for that team.

Does anyone know other teams that had GT’s that made a difference to get their team to the NCAA tournament?

Texas Tech made it to the final 4 w/ a lot of GTs.

11 hours ago, Cincybill said:

Just because the fans don't know the scholarship situation doesn't mean Arizona is kicking kids out to get low major grad transfers that prob won't start at Arizona.

Are you saying that Arizona has open scholarships?

10 hours ago, almaman said:

4 hours really. Once  out of Metro area nothing to slow you down.

I drive slow and have to stop at every rest stop

Box and Won and HoosierPal like this

There are about 50 grad transfers left.

Shakur Juiston is probably the best available and he's down to Oregon, Seton Hall, and Grand Canyon.

Tyler Scanlon and Tay Weaver are probably in the top 5 remaining. We're recruiting both but need to get them on campus.

D.J. Williams from George Washington is up there, too, but I'm guessing he can't stay in conference.

Donte Fitzpatrick-Dorsey from Tennessee State might be worth looking at: 14.3 PPG, 38.1% from 3. His teammate Kamar McKnight is also a GT; averaged 11.8 but his shooting percentages aren't very good - .365 overall, .233 from 3 last season.

Here's an interesting one: Terrell Lewis (previously known as Cornell Johnston) from Eastern Illinois. Tiny (5-7) PG who went to Ladue (upset Jayson Tatum's CCP team in districts in 2014). Scored 18 against SLU in a 5-point loss back in November 2016. Had 7 assists, 3 steals, no turnovers, and went 4-8 from deep. He had season-ending injuries early this past season and the season before, so he had back-to-back medical redshirts. Now he's heading into his sixth college season and already has a degree. He's small, but he can really play when he's healthy.

Matt Hauser from Santa Clara can shoot it and can play the point when needed, but had foot surgery for an issue that sounds a lot like Welmer's.

We've talked a bit about John-Carlos Reyes and Jethro Tshisumpa, depth bigs. There are a couple other bigs that are basically just depth/practice players.

That's my summary of the best available. Let me know if I missed anything.

CBFan likes this

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

There are about 50 grad transfers left.

Shakur Juiston is probably the best available and he's down to Oregon, Seton Hall, and Grand Canyon.

Tyler Scanlon and Tay Weaver are probably in the top 5 remaining. We're recruiting both but need to get them on campus.

D.J. Williams from George Washington is up there, too, but I'm guessing he can't stay in conference.

Donte Fitzpatrick-Dorsey from Tennessee State might be worth looking at: 14.3 PPG, 38.1% from 3. His teammate Kamar McKnight is also a GT; averaged 11.8 but his shooting percentages aren't very good - .365 overall, .233 from 3 last season.

Here's an interesting one: Terrell Lewis (previously known as Cornell Johnston) from Eastern Illinois. Tiny (5-7) PG who went to Ladue (upset Jayson Tatum's CCP team in districts in 2014). Scored 18 against SLU in a 5-point loss back in November 2016. Had 7 assists, 3 steals, no turnovers, and went 4-8 from deep. He had season-ending injuries early this past season and the season before, so he had back-to-back medical redshirts. Now he's heading into his sixth college season and already has a degree. He's small, but he can really play when he's healthy.

Matt Hauser from Santa Clara can shoot it and can play the point when needed, but had foot surgery for an issue that sounds a lot like Welmer's.

We've talked a bit about John-Carlos Reyes and Jethro Tshisumpa, depth bigs. There are a couple other bigs that are basically just depth/practice players.

That's my summary of the best available. Let me know if I missed anything.

Hauser is a kid that interest me.  I, also, think Jaylen Shead who is grad transfer out of Texas State might be a guy the team could be interested in.  

2 hours ago, Cincybill said:

Nope. I (like the Arizona fans) have no clue what their scholarship situation is like. I don't know if any are or are becoming available. The players and coaches do.

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcats/basketball/sean-miller-arizona-wildcats-remain-active-in-busiest-offseason-yet/article_c0348ed6-c368-5e32-9cf2-1406858534b7.html

Cincybill likes this

30 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

Thank you coach for the link.

Based on what I read SLU should have a better chance than Arizona because the Arizona program seems to be in turmoil.

27 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Thank you coach for the link.

Based on what I read SLU should have a better chance than Arizona because the Arizona program seems to be in turmoil.

They have a very nice class coming in but I agree that is very chaotic over there

8 minutes ago, Cincybill said:

Thanks for this... So one scholarship could possibly come available based off of someone (one of their better players) not to be able to play. 

Or could Miller trying to be getting Weaver to walk on? Or is someone leaving?

Regardless, they're full on paper right now and have a TON of talent. I don't see where Weaver's minutes are there.

New Mexico has one open scholarship, but it was freed up by a guy who just transferred and he's a 6-10 center. They do have some question marks in the backcourt, though.

45 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Or could Miller trying to be getting Weaver to walk on? Or is someone leaving?

Regardless, they're full on paper right now and have a TON of talent. I don't see where Weaver's minutes are there.

New Mexico has one open scholarship, but it was freed up by a guy who just transferred and he's a 6-10 center. They do have some question marks in the backcourt, though.

Don't think it's for a walk on spot... It wouldn't have been reported IMO...

But don't get me wrong, it doesn't make sense for him to go to Arizona because of the talent that's there. I think SLU makes much more sense with our roster makeup and our perceived success with our GT combo turned point guard last year.