Grad Transfers - 2019

ACE

Could really get behind this one

Cleveland State sophomore Stefan Kenic tells ESPN he submitted his paperwork to enter the transfer portal. 6-foot-9 stretch four averaged 9.2 points, 4.1 rebounds. Hopes to get a waiver to play immediately.
SLU_Lax and RiseAndGrind like this

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

Cleveland State sophomore Stefan Kenic tells ESPN he submitted his paperwork to enter the transfer portal. 6-foot-9 stretch four averaged 9.2 points, 4.1 rebounds. Hopes to get a waiver to play immediately.

Was just about to post this

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 1:57 PM, Pistol said:

I figured there had to be something going on here, given how late in the year this is happening. Two guys are out as of this week, with another having announced just a week ago and another three weeks ago. There might be more to come. There have been rumors of player unrest for months and it looks like they were true. Fans are calling for Dennis Felton's firing but his buyout is apparently big enough that the AD won't do it. Not sure exactly why other than players are fed up with Felton; there doesn't seem to be a single incident.

Hill definitely has to sit a year. Same for each of the others leaving.

Tyree Appleby is the real catch, though. 17.2 PPG, 5.6 APG. 2nd team all-conference, 33rd in the nation in assists, had a triple-double this past season. Visiting Arkansas, his home state.

Appleby to Florida.

12 hours ago, wgstl said:

Good grief, the entire roster is gone. The coach was finally fired Friday along with his assistants. I think they're down to 5 returning scholarship players, 3 of whom played last season. It'll be interesting to see who stays between them and the 6 signed/committed players. (Yes, I know SLU has 5 returners, but CSU only lost 1 to graduation).

5 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Appleby to Florida.

Not surprising he's going to such a high-level program.

12 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Good grief, the entire roster is gone. The coach was finally fired Friday along with his assistants. I think they're down to 5 returning scholarship players, 3 of whom played last season. It'll be interesting to see who stays between them and the 6 signed/committed players. (Yes, I know SLU has 5 returners, but CSU only lost 1 to graduation).

Not surprising he's going to such a high-level program.

Pistol.  What's the story with the CSU coaching staff?   Assume Cincinnati papers may cover their norther rival city news a little more than the rest of the country.

Maybe with the right new coach in place, these players will come back and not sit out a year transferring?

2 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

Pistol.  What's the story with the CSU coaching staff?   Assume Cincinnati papers may cover their norther rival city news a little more than the rest of the country.

Maybe with the right new coach in place, these players will come back and not sit out a year transferring?

https://cleveland.lokol.me/s/on-overtime-tonight-what-led-to-cleveland-state-firing-basketball-coach-dennis-felton-we-geo-work-video-42713-2855167

If you are REALLY interested in CSU, here is a YouTube insight on what happened.  This says a player mutiny caused the staff being fired.  First five to six minutes is all you need to review.  There are some interesting comments later on about (about 8 minute mark) CSU not keeping local talent home. 

14 hours ago, wgstl said:

Takes immediately from KC Hanktons role. No thanks I'm good with what we got if it's not an immediate high impact guy.

11 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Takes immediately from KC Hanktons role. No thanks I'm good with what we got if it's not an immediate high impact guy.

im pretty old school in the fact that you take players who can help you win, always. 

1 hour ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

If they're both going to be sophomores, then who cares.  Whoever is best, plays.  It creates competition.  It gives us depth.

14 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

If they're both going to be sophomores, then who cares.  Whoever is best, plays.  It creates competition.  It gives us depth.

And gets someone to transfer out. He didnt seem to be highly recruited out of Serbia. Numbers look decent I guess. But why would you bring in someone who may not even be better and bring them into a new system/family. When you have a very similar player who has put in the time, waited his turn, gets along with everyone and from all accounts done everything right except stay healthy. (If you're reasoning is more bodies for when we inexplicably lose some players I guess I get it)

Bringing in a senior who is guaranteed to help you is one thing. Bringing in a guy whose from a smaller school and shows no significant upgrade who is the same age... In my opinion not smart. And pretty much a waste.  

2 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

And gets someone to transfer out. He didnt seem to be highly recruited out of Serbia. Numbers look decent I guess. But why would you bring in someone who may not even be better and bring them into a new system/family. When you have a very similar player who has put in the time, waited his turn, gets along with everyone and from all accounts done everything right except stay healthy.

Bringing in a senior who is guaranteed to help you is one thing. Bringing in a guy whose from a smaller school and shows no significant upgrade who is the same age... In my opinion not smart. And pretty much a waste.  

It also takes away a 2020 scholarship that I think has better players.  Get another GT or hold on to the scholarship.

TheChosenOne likes this

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

Can the 4th option from a 10 win mid-major team help you win? That's debatable.

a lot of things can go into that, ie how a coach uses a player.   And to me, is sounds like their coach was terrible which is why he got fired.  

What I see here is a 6'9 forward who is a average rebounder and shot 35% from 3 and 75% from the line is his first two years. 

dlarry likes this

Just now, wgstl said:

a lot of things can go into that, ie how a coach uses a player.   And to me, is sounds like their coach was terrible which is why he got fired.  

What I see here is a 6'9 forward who is a average rebounder and shot 35% from 3 and 75% from the line is his first two years. 

A guy who starts for a bad team is always going to have much better stats than the 9th man on a better one. What it doesn't tell you is whether the first player is better than the second. You don't want to use a multi-year scholarship this late in the game unless you're absolutely sure.

Littlebill likes this

8 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

A guy who starts for a bad team is always going to have much better stats than the 9th man on a better one. What it doesn't tell you is whether the first player is better than the second. You don't want to use a multi-year scholarship this late in the game unless you're absolutely sure.

Which is up for coaches to decide.  All Im saying is as of now, hes proven he can rebound and shoot the 3 better than Hankton.  Of course one could say injuries minutes ect. but it is what it is. 

3 hours ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

And gets someone to transfer out. He didnt seem to be highly recruited out of Serbia. Numbers look decent I guess. But why would you bring in someone who may not even be better and bring them into a new system/family. When you have a very similar player who has put in the time, waited his turn, gets along with everyone and from all accounts done everything right except stay healthy. (If you're reasoning is more bodies for when we inexplicably lose some players I guess I get it)

Well, lucky the Billiken Board doesn't decide this.  I think SLU has a highly professional coaching staff that gets paid to make these player decisions. 

Have not been impressed with Hankton.  Maybe he blossoms this year.  But if last year is what we get this season, then the Bills have problems.  Prefer a one and done big though, not a sophomore.

For the last three years I’ve been a big advocate of filling every available scholarship, even if the player isn’t clearly a starting level player right now. As we have seen far too often, things happen and we end up with seven or eight guys. It’s better to be able to bring in a Hankton or Jacobs level player than an Aaron Hines level player. And I don’t mean that as a shot at KCH or DJ-  I think both will be solid contributors this year. 

Hankton and Jacobs will get minutes of play this year depending on how well they do in practice and in prior games. If they fail to deliver or if there are a number of better options sitting in the bench they will not play much. It all depends on performance as I am sure they are aware of. No need to prejudge anyone, we will see what happens during the season. I wish them all the best and hope they play a fair amount of time.

7 hours ago, wgstl said:

I’m with you on this one.

I think he could be an immediate contributor and work his way into being a high level player.

• 3 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Old guy said:

I just  do not sense a feeling of urgency to get new recruits for the coming season. Weaver is still not listed in the roster but someone said he has arrived.

Judging by the  OOC schedule, Ford is aiming high this season. We will see.

Weaver has been practicing for a few days now.   I agree, unless someone falls right into our lap in the next 2 weeks, I think our roster is set.