Grad Transfers - 2019

ACE

49 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Jimerson will probably lead us in free throw percentage for the next four years.

Agree and having someone to finish games that is money from the line is a great thing.

I hope to never see a team average for free throws in the low 60’s high 50’s ever again.

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, ACE said:

Interesting name just hit the market - Jaalam Hill. He was a productive PF his junior season at Cleveland State averaging 11 ppg and 6 rpg. What makes him potentially interesting... he played at SWIC and was teammates with Perkins. 

Interesting.  He's a little undersized at 6-7, but at this point we should be adding whatever big men we can.  Hill is from Louisville, KY just like Tay Weaver.  It is very likely that they know each other / have played with or against each other.  Make it happen, Ford!

15 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Hill has to sit a year.

Do you know that for sure?  He spent 2 years at SWIC and then a year at Cleveland State.  It might be unlikely that he has already earned a degree, but some guys do graduate in 3 years.  The timing of his decision to transfer seems odd if he wasn't finishing up a summer class to earn his degree and then decided to move on after getting it.

I like him a lot more as a grad transfer than as someone who will tie up a scholarship for 2 years.

5 minutes ago, brianstl said:

The top 3 scorers  and the fifth leading scorer at Cleveland St. are all transferring out.

I figured there had to be something going on here, given how late in the year this is happening. Two guys are out as of this week, with another having announced just a week ago and another three weeks ago. There might be more to come. There have been rumors of player unrest for months and it looks like they were true. Fans are calling for Dennis Felton's firing but his buyout is apparently big enough that the AD won't do it. Not sure exactly why other than players are fed up with Felton; there doesn't seem to be a single incident.

Hill definitely has to sit a year. Same for each of the others leaving.

Tyree Appleby is the real catch, though. 17.2 PPG, 5.6 APG. 2nd team all-conference, 33rd in the nation in assists, had a triple-double this past season. Visiting Arkansas, his home state.

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

Interesting.  He's a little undersized at 6-7, but at this point we should be adding whatever big men we can.  Hill is from Louisville, KY just like Tay Weaver.  It is very likely that they know each other / have played with or against each other.  Make it happen, Ford!

Weighs 225 lbs, so pretty solid and 59% FG%. Sitting a year wouldn't be ideal, but I would consider it given our lack of experienced front court depth.

5 minutes ago, ACE said:

Weighs 225 lbs, so pretty solid and 59% FG%. Sitting a year wouldn't be ideal, but I would consider it given our lack of experienced front court depth.

I would consider it, too.  They could use an extra big at practice this season to go up against French as they try to bring two freshmen along.  It really comes down to if the staff believes his game can translate to the A10. 

7 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Agree fully.  But if Weaver makes just one more FT, he is at 66%.  Two more made and he is really close to the 70% threshold. Sample size is pretty small.

In Weaver's soph year, he was 86.7%.  (Small print, 13 of 15.)

Have seen two different articles praising the character of Weaver....one quoting his coach on how Weaver is the heart & soul of the team...another quoting a walk-on point guard praising Weaver, his roommate, for bolstering the walk-on’s Confidence, eventually leading to playing time. I’ll take a glue guy like Weaver any day.

HoosierPal and Zink like this

3 hours ago, WVBilliken said:

Tried looking it up, but could not find, but isn't the signing or commitment process different since the Spring signing period ended in mid-May?  Maybe that is the reason no announcement on Weaver yet???

Right. I assume a kid can still announce his commitment at any time though. I think at this point kids sign a financial aid agreement (and not a NLI) with it being after the spring signing period like you said, its kind of just semantics (although there are key differences between signing a NLI and a financial aid agreement and I think you can only sign one NLI, so maybe transfers only sign financial aid agreements?). Most programs probably let the recruit decide how they want the announcement to go down. Also, with him being a grad transfer and not knowing the academic calendar (or what kind of degree he will be pursuing) the timing of him getting on campus may not be overly urgent (I am seeing summer sessions that begin today, July 15th, and July 22nd). He might just be waiting on a slick edit or video to be made to announce his decision officially.

18 minutes ago, almaman said:

still need more than that per Pit Bull's rep

Are you saying that Frank (like many of us) sometimes lets his fandom interfere cause him to sometimes be overly optimistic that something is going to happen

On 6/30/2019 at 10:11 AM, FatherB said:

Can any students,  young alumni confirm that this is what Grand Forest interior looks like?

I don't see a 55-gallon trash can about 20% full of unopened Del Taco sauce packets, and I don't see the walls COVERED in wrestling posters and I don't see Bud Light boxes stapled to the ceiling everywhere and I certainly don't see The Piss Couch®, so it's definitely not my Grand Forest apartment.

Not to mention that BALLIN' ASS 32-inch CRT Sony screeeeeeeen.

rgbilliken likes this

On 6/24/2019 at 4:35 PM, ACE said:

Very little hitting the market now as you would expect, but Johncarlos Reyes, 6-10, from BC. Averaged about 3 ppg and played in every game as a sophomore,  this past season down to 2 ppg. Hardly a star, but at this point, a one-year roster filler wouldn't hurt. With two open scholarships, it feels like we're just an injury away from having depth issues again.

Johncarlos Reyes to Nevada.