Grad Transfers - 2019

ACE

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Excuse me, but checking in to the board:  am I delusional or are these some folks on here suggesting we should not be ecstatic about getting Tay Weaver in here??  Assuming his character, grades, personality etc. check out OK?  I don't get that, at all.  I am really hoping we get this guy to commit. Getting late in summer...

After all the roster issues/ defections/ injuries the past few years, it's been hard to practice -- let alone play games with a rotation.  I was out of country spring semester, meaning I missed the A10 tournament. How they won 4 games on 4 consecutive days, with our beat up roster and 6-7 bodies to play, is beyond me.  What a coaching masterpiece!!  I have to say, that is hard to believe. 

Overall, we still need a couple players.  We are an injury or 2 or 3 away from what we had last year -- not enough guys for 5 on 5 drills!  Tramaine had his issues getting acclimated but SLU would have been toast without him at season's end.  I assume that's especially true in the final games. Tay should be a similar kind of addition...

What if this guy can give us a more spread out offense, and the occasion trey??  Not to mention: significant experience and glue for all those practices.

Please come, Tay!!  I vote a very enthusiastic YES!

ps: Just to confirm -- but I've also heard & seen some very good things about young Gibson...

18 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

Excuse me, but checking in to the board:  am I delusional or are these some folks on here suggesting we should not be ecstatic about getting Tay Weaver in here??  Assuming his character, grades, personality etc. check out OK?  I don't get that, at all.  I am really hoping we get this guy to commit. Getting late in summer...

After all the roster issues/ defections/ injuries the past few years, it's been hard to practice -- let alone play games with a rotation.  I was out of country spring semester, meaning I missed the A10 tournament. How they won 4 games on 4 consecutive days, with our beat up roster and 6-7 bodies to play, is beyond me.  What a coaching masterpiece!!  I have to say, that is hard to believe. 

Overall, we still need a couple players.  We are an injury or 2 or 3 away from what we had last year -- not enough guys for 5 on 5 drills!  Tramaine had his issues getting acclimated but SLU would have been toast without him at season's end.  I assume that's especially true in the final games. Tay should be a similar kind of addition...

What if this guy can give us a more spread out offense, and the occasion trey??  Not to mention: significant experience and glue for all those practices.

ps: Just to confirm -- but I've also heard & seen some very good things about young Gibson...

What you are saying is that the past repeats itself in an infinite series of bad events for SLU, year after year. Why should this be the case?

I am not saying Weaver should not come, I am saying it will be great if he comes, but it will not be a death sentence to the Bills if he does not.

58 minutes ago, Old guy said:

What you are saying is that the past repeats itself in an infinite series of bad events for SLU, year after year. Why should this be the case?

I am not saying Weaver should not come, I am saying it will be great if he comes, but it will not be a death sentence to the Bills if he does not.

?? Wow that is one clunky reading of my post. I am saying neither of those things.  Talk about a straw man!

Re: eternal recurrence and the eschatological implications of "what I am saying" on SLU basketball as a symptom of history, a remnant of theology, and so forth: well... no, I'm not a fan of that approach.  I've taught passages from Nietzsche, such as from Zarathustra, Gay Science, and various Camus works like the Sisyphus tale, of course.  But we must counter such notions with a more hopeful approach, what is often called a transcendental view of history as actually going somewhere, maybe even getting better.  This kind of hope provides a much more satisfying take on any potential futures, in my view.  To grasp it, I would probably suggest you begin with Moltmann's challenging work, Theology of Hope; and from there try NT Wright, Surprised by Hope.  Both masterpieces that will more clearly reveal my own eschatological tendencies...Or, if you don't have time or inclination, just take a look at Hoosiers, Glory Days, Remember the Titans, etc...in all of which, the past clearly does NOT repeat itself in an infinite series of bad events!

57 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

?? Wow that is one clunky reading of my post. I am saying neither of those things.  Talk about a straw man!

Re: eternal recurrence and the eschatological implications of "what I am saying" on SLU basketball as a symptom of history, a remnant of theology, and so forth: well... no, I'm not a fan of that approach.  I've taught passages from Nietzsche, such as from Zarathustra, Gay Science, and various Camus works like the Sisyphus tale, of course.  But we must counter such notions with a more hopeful approach, what is often called a transcendental view of history as actually going somewhere, maybe even getting better.  This kind of hope provides a much more satisfying take on any potential futures, in my view.  To grasp it, I would probably suggest you begin with Moltmann's challenging work, Theology of Hope; and from there try NT Wright, Surprised by Hope.  Both masterpieces that will more clearly reveal my own eschatological tendencies...Or, if you don't have time or inclination, just take a look at Hoosiers, Glory Days, Remember the Titans, etc...in all of which, the past clearly does NOT repeat itself in an infinite series of bad events!

I was going to call BS on your post then you brought up Hoosiers. That makes it ok. 

2 hours ago, DoctorB said:

Doctor B, I was referring more to probability and statistics (where there is absolutely no room for anything even remotely similar to hope) and find out much to my surprise you respond from a theological / philosophical point of view. To say the least, we are very far apart in term of knowledge and expertise. I could talk about regression to  the mean and you could answer with Locke or Nietzche. I must conclude that we (you and I) are prisoners in some kind of Babel Tower where the language of one person is not understood by the other. I do not want to disrespect your thoughts or your very impressive answer, except to say that my world and my language, the very way I think, contains a whole lot of probability and statistics, but not hope . I do not believe that your view of history as a path towards somewhere better is correct. I will agree your thinking reflects a very hopeful view of everything. but this is something that I do not share with you. I will also let you know that reading works about hope, theology, or philosophy (even when masked as current fiction) is not something I would do. I much prefer to read Daniel Kahneman, or Nassim Taleb to the authors you quote.

Therefore thanking you for your very interesting answer I want to finish this post by saying that we are not likely to agree in general terms upon most issues we might be called upon to examine. Without the central concept of hope, which I do not share but which appears to guide your thinking, I believe we are predestined to disagree with one another.

All the best.

9 hours ago, SLURadioBoy said:

The SLU basketball account is now following Tay on Twitter and so is Kunderman. That’s usually a sign they have either committed or are on the brink of doing so.

Sounds promising, getting decent PT at the point where he played last season could be a deciding factor.

Looking at Weaver's game stats, he appears to be a streaky 3 point shooter. He either goes 1 for 6, or 4-5 for 9.  When he is on, he will be a game changer. Dont know if his off games are more about the defense he faced, or just who he is.  

16 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

Looking at Weaver's game stats, he appears to be a streaky 3 point shooter. He either goes 1 for 6, or 4-5 for 9.  When he is on, he will be a game changer. Dont know if his off games are more about the defense he faced, or just who he is.  

Everyone has off nights. It sounded like he was the lead defender on his team...that’s what has me intrigued about him, that he’s a two-way player.

1 hour ago, Aquinas said:

Eastern Kentucky's strength of schedule was ranked 240.  The 12 team conference Weaver played in had 8 teams with losing records.  I think that's just who he is.

He's taking a significant step up in competition.  As others have said, I expect he'll give us timely shooting off the bench and an additional ballhandler.

brianstl and Zink like this

On 6/29/2019 at 9:58 AM, DoctorB said:

Doc.  Believe the comments are more a reaction, and somewhat of a surprise, to the lack of  GT forward, the signing of 2 Freshman 7footers and the head scratching of the need to develop our good, young and local guards - and now another GT combo guard.  Alot of doubt as to how soon the new guys can contribute.  But it is becoming clear that Coach Ford believes it may be awhile and that we need immediate guard help too as per this attempt to get Tay and the failed attempt to have the local GT from Duquesne and Nevada play for us.   Hope he signs!!