Grad Transfers - 2019

ACE

Maybe not 3 star, maybe what they are looking for is someone to use a 1 yr. scholarship that will be a good practice addition to the team, warm a bench seat, and could be used for emergencies. This is particularly true if this player is a team player not known to cause disturbances. I do not see how their needs are that different from ours.

Cincybill likes this

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Maybe not 3 star, maybe what they are looking for is someone to use a 1 yr. scholarship that will be a good practice addition to the team, warm a bench seat, and could be used for emergencies. This is particularly true if this player is a team player not known to cause disturbances. I do not see how their needs are that different from ours.

They're Arizona. That player should already be available in the form of a walk-on at the end of their bench.

3 hours ago, ACE said:

Don't like seeing Arizona in the mix again. This could be a Justin Coleman situation again. Arizona has been churning through players in recent years. Not long ago a program like that wouldn't have been interested in a player like Weaver.

Arizona just had a pg decide to transfer

5 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

I think Coach Ford's competitiveness may have gotten the best of him. He held out for a difference maker when there were serviceable bigs available earlier in the spring.

The competition for grad transfer bigs in the spring is stiff, especially for mid-majors. If you can land a guy who can give you 20 min a game, consider yourself fortunate. Missing out on a big will probably cost us a few W's. Unfortunate, but this was a rebuilding year anyway IMO.

Let's be honest.   Still haunted by Situation 2 - as well as the loss of Gordon and Santos.   

And isn't our team/program better off without the addition of another warm body (who is NOT a difference maker) when we are starting over this year and have so many new, young players/options?  How does upper classman quantity help the team and lead to more wins?  Is not team chemistry just as important.  And even "difference makers" such as our guys from last year took 3/4 of the season to truly figure things out -- and now are gone.

54 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Let's be honest.   Still haunted by Situation 2 - as well as the loss of Gordon and Santos.   

And isn't our team/program better off without the addition of another warm body (who is NOT a difference maker) when we are starting over this year and have so many new, young players/options?  How does upper classman quantity help the team and lead to more wins?  Is not team chemistry just as important.  And even "difference makers" such as our guys from last year took 3/4 of the season to truly figure things out -- and now are gone.

Agree, in principle. But in our particular case Jimmy Bell is about 15 lb away from being a contributor and Diarra is recovering from a severe injury. We're one Diarra setback away from French being even more of a marked man than he was last year. 

48 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Diarra is recovering from a severe injury. We're one Diarra setback away from French being even more of a marked man than he was last year. 

Scary thought 

The really scary thought is an injury to French.

I suspect part of the reason Ford went for 2 freshman bigs, is that he could not get a big grad transfer who would be a sure thing. If he has to invest time in a big and not know for certain it will pay off by conference play, it is better to invest in the potential of these freshmen. 

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

Agree, in principle. But in our particular case Jimmy Bell is about 15 lb away from being a contributor and Diarra is recovering from a severe injury. We're one Diarra setback away from French being even more of a marked man than he was last year. 

Diarra played last spring in HS, granted with a knee brace after his ACL/Kneecap Fracture.  I have to believe that he is pretty much physically ready now and for the season.  Figure the brace was largely precautionary.

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

I get your point (and agree) of players being at certain weight ranges to be at their peak in order to be truly effective- but doubt that 15 pounds for a 7 footer would make the difference between being a contributor or not. 15 pounds for. 7 foot athlete might only be 2 weeks of D1college training. 

Whats his latest weight?

Depth has been a recurring issue with Ford's regime --- and through no real fault of his own.  How quickly we forget Aaron Hines starting.  We have had French and Foreman and that's it on the front line.  Now we have French.  One injury (which Hasahn has had albeit minor ones) and the front line is decimated.  Going to be a lot of OJT for Diarra, Bell and Perkins because I am sure the A10 D1 level is a lot better night-in and night-out than SWIC's competition.  Examples?  Just look at what happened at St. Joe's the last few years. 

I don't think we are going to be in a positionwhere two seven-footers sit on the bench night after night ..... I am holding out hope that SF from BU might come calling, or has his train left the station too?

Not to put down anyone but there appears to be a lot of "glass half empty" worryining going on in this board. Granted the experience for the last few years does support this kind of worrying, but don't you think it is time for a just bit of "glass half full" thinking to fill our sails and lead us along. Just a bit mind you, there is no need to exaggerate as we did in prior seasons, going to the final four next season is NOT a realistic goal either.

It is true bad seasons and bad events do happen, and they do happen in bunches at a time or followig one another, but this is not a forever type of situation. We are due for a season when things go our  way all the way. Even if things do not go ALL our way all the  way, statistically  we are due to have a season with less dismissals, withdrawals, serious injuries, disrupting bad apples in the team, etc. than we have had in recent years. Bad stuff can come in bunches or in a long string of seasons, but again this is not a forever thing. We have not been cursed by evil witches or voodo priests, there is no Billiken doll suffed with pins in some nafarious altar to the evil gods. Our bigs for next year are not bench warmers called Jolly, Neufeld, or Gillman, and are not cursed by recurrent foot fractures like Welmer (who was a good player). We do not have (as far as we know) disruptive bad apples in the team, nor do we want them. Why not allow a bit of optimism and sunshine into our thoughts for next season. Why all the worry, worry, worry. So Bell needs 15 lbs more, OK I agree he may improve with extra weight. However, if he can move, rebound, block, and shoot what difference does it make if a big like him is 15 lbs on the light side? Why the wall of worry? Gaining 15 pounds is not impossible to do during summer. We have to trust that Ford would not take someone because he is tall, we have to hope he chose them because they can play well already and just need to gain some weight.

Worrying this much is bad for you, medically speaking. Look at slu72, by the time the season starts he may have lost 15 to  20 lbs. just from worrrying about all kinds of things. He may even need to  buy  new pants to fit his new and slimmer waist. OK, I may be exaggerating, just a bit, but it is time to let statistics and probability do their thing, it is time for us to have fortune on our side next season. However, this is NOT encouragement for those bipolar MBMs to drop the worrying and start expecting that will go to final four next season. That said, some mild optimism for next season is currently needed in this board.

as to weaver if he isnt a sure fire starter difference maker graduate transfer, i would pass unless he is a total team glue guy that is content to be the emergency player, great practice guy, and the first guy off the bench at timeouts to high five his teamates and hand out towels.   i have had enough with team drama with nothing to show for it.  

6 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

as to weaver if he isnt a sure fire starter difference maker graduate transfer, i would pass unless he is a total team glue guy that is content to be the emergency player, great practice guy, and the first guy off the bench at timeouts to high five his teamates and hand out towels.   i have had enough with team drama with nothing to show for it.  

That GT "team drama" got us an NCAA bid last year

cgeldmacher and CBFan like this

12 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

If he's trying to move up in competition, that better be his expectation.

10 ppg at a low major  = rotation guy

drama i was inferring to was situation which is what has created our annual need for graduate transfers.   we need to get by it and it wont happen with annually bringing in graduate transfers.  

I'm torn on this one. We have to let the freshmen play and develop. That's how you build a perennial winner in the A10 I think. But having an extra, capable body is necessary since something always seems to happen to our roster. I don't think Weaver moves the needle and makes us a tourney team (outside of a run in Brooklyn again) so I would hope anything we do from here is a depth move only.

I hope coach Ford is always looking at GT’s. If there is a player that can greatly improve the teams weaknesses then recruit them.

It worked for Missouri with Robertson, it worked for SLU with Isabell and whoever is lucky enough to sign Blackshear it will work for that team.

Does anyone know other teams that had GT’s that made a difference to get their team to the NCAA tournament?

We currently have two available scholarships with no seniors on the roster... we have an 11 man roster with two project big freshmen and two injury prone sophomores who played very little last year. Having a grad transfer or two this year would make perfect sense.

52 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

drama i was inferring to was situation which is what has created our annual need for graduate transfers.   we need to get by it and it wont happen with annually bringing in graduate transfers.  

So sign a medicore frosh and have to hold that scholarship for four years? That's not a better option.

3 minutes ago, CBFan said:

I hope coach Ford is always looking at GT’s. If there is a player that can greatly improve the teams weaknesses then recruit them.

It worked for Missouri with Robertson, it worked for SLU with Isabell and whoever is lucky enough to sign Blackshear it will work for that team.

Does anyone know other teams that had GT’s that made a difference to get their team to the NCAA tournament?

Texas Tech made the Final Four with two grad transfers playing a key role. More and more blue bloods are going for grad transfers. Even Kentucky, who used to rely mostly on the one and dones, is increasingly pursuing grad transfers. It would be foolish to not consider them in your recruiting strategy.

CBFan likes this

Of all teams in the conference, we should be the last to eagerly go into a season with two open schollies. Our team will consist of over 50% of our roster having missed a season/majority of season due to injury and/or surgery. 

We need two more bodies. Unless there is an expected mid year transfer, let’s not waste a year when two of our starters are all-time top twenty players.