Grad Transfers - 2019

ACE

9 hours ago, Pistol said:

New GT big on the wire:

Fringe top 100 recruit in 2016, played sparingly at Arizona State, went to San Jacinto College (TX) for his sophomore year and averaged 8.4 PPG and 6.5 RPG. He went to Mississippi State for his junior year but didn't play at all. He wasn't hurt. They just didn't play him. He graduated this weekend and put his name in the transfer portal two days ago. He's immediately eligible, with two seasons left.

I'm not sure about fit here - he's 6-10, 260 and we already have two huge dudes coming in - but he does have a few years of age and experience on them, even if he didn't see game action this year. He also doesn't free up a 2020 scholarship for us. I also have questions about why he didn't fit at MSU; it makes sense for future eligibility not to play at all once it's clear you're not going to see meaningful time, but how didn't he at least crack the end of the rotation? There's more to the story here. Doesn't help that he's deleted his old Twitter account and started a new, extra salty one:

And that he spit on UT fans on his way out of their arena:

He clearly needs a fresh start somewhere and has some potential. Not sure that he's the "difference maker" we need, though.

We need to get this guy so I can find out where he got that jacket.

His sighting may not help the team but it will definitely help my style.

MattyMo213 and SLU_Lax like this

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, dlarry said:

We need to get this guy so I can find out where he got that jacket.

His sighting may not help the team but it will definitely help my style.

Dlarry, if you look closely at the picture, there is a horizontal white band on the jacket across the upper chest which displays the 4 interlocked Audi rings. The rings are in a pale yellow color and are hard to see. This item may be an Audi promotional type item. You might want to try checking the Audi site for clothing accessories. Hope they have it.

dlarry likes this

7 hours ago, SLU_Nick said:

Looks like C. Gordon with less talent to me.

Hardest pass ever 

I think many people are really looking past how  bad we are looking depth wise in the front court.  I am not just talking about at the four, but who is going to back up French? I like the potential of the bigs we signed, but I don’t expect anything out of them for two seasons.  One has hardly played the last two years and the other didn’t start for his team.

16 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I think many people are really looking past how  bad we are looking depth wise in the front court.  I am not just talking about at the four, but who is going to back up French? I like the potential of the bigs we signed, but I don’t expect anything out of them for two seasons.  One has hardly played the last two years and the other didn’t start for his team.

Whoever Coach Ford signs in the next 3 weeks. There are still players available. This guy is a one trick pony with a victim mentality. I don't want him anywhere near young players.

AGB91, Old guy, SLU_Nick and 1 other like this

• 4 weeks later...

Very little hitting the market now as you would expect, but Johncarlos Reyes, 6-10, from BC. Averaged about 3 ppg and played in every game as a sophomore,  this past season down to 2 ppg. Hardly a star, but at this point, a one-year roster filler wouldn't hurt. With two open scholarships, it feels like we're just an injury away from having depth issues again.

CBFan likes this

8 hours ago, ACE said:

Very little hitting the market now as you would expect, but Johncarlos Reyes, 6-10, from BC. Averaged about 3 ppg and played in every game as a sophomore,  this past season down to 2 ppg. Hardly a star, but at this point, a one-year roster filler wouldn't hurt. With two open scholarships, it feels like we're just an injury away from having depth issues again.

Reyes also averaged six co-ed bangouts and 117 missed classes per semester.  He wore 13 different pairs of sneakers last year and went home 8 times.  Boosters are very transparent and confident that he received 0 bags of cash and $0.

More worthless stats.  The guy is a complete fuoking stiff, calling it now.

5 hours ago, jimbofive said:

Reyes also averaged six co-ed bangouts and 117 missed classes per semester.  He wore 13 different pairs of sneakers last year and went home 8 times.  Boosters are very transparent and confident that he received 0 bags of cash and $0.

More worthless stats.  The guy is a complete fuoking stiff, calling it now.

Granted, they're just highlights, but not bad. Sign him up.

CBFan likes this

3 hours ago, billikenbill said:

Granted, they're just highlights, but not bad. Sign him up.

not bad at all, I expected worse. Seems like he could fill in some minutes until one of the frosh gets up to speed.   Count me in.  

Not sure he's the "difference maker" Ford is looking for. Hasn't been able to get off the bench much in 3+ years, turnover prone, horrible FT shooter. Then again, I don't think there are any "difference making" bigs left except for Blackshear. There are only guys that offer boosts for depth and practice.

I do think Tyler Scanlon would be a big difference maker, though. Not sure if we're going to get him on campus, though. He went to GW and Belmont, and he'll go to Wisconsin this weekend. He said he's still open to more visits but I'm hoping the Badgers don't seal the deal so we get a shot.

2 hours ago, wgstl said:

not bad at all, I expected worse. Seems like he could fill in some minutes until one of the frosh gets up to speed.   Count me in.  

I'd hate to see us head into this season with two open scholarships, especially when you consider one of our project bigs has dealt with injuries in the past. IMO, the recruiting this spring has been disappointing.

11 minutes ago, slusam said:

Tay Weaver, from Eastern KY, has been offered 

36 percent from 3, 5 foot 10.  

1 minute ago, slusam said:

Tay Weaver, from Eastern KY, has been offered 

Dujuanta (Tay) Weaver - G, 5-10, 170 - Louisville, KY (Eastern Kentucky) - Twitter: @tayweaver_0
Offers/Interest: Saint Louis, St. John's, Arizona, New Mexico.

Latest News: Weaver picked up offers from SLU, Arizona, and New Mexico. (6/25/19)

Scouting Report: Weaver is a small but athletic and energetic guard. He was the smallest player in EKU's three-guard lineup last season, but not always the lead guard - all were 6-2 or shorter and he was tied for third in assists - although he was their primary on-ball defender. He's a high-volume three-point shooter, hitting 2.8 per game on 7.9 attempts (.359), and about 85% of his FGA were from three. Weaver played the first 16 games of his freshman season (2015-2016) before suffering a season-ending shoulder injury. He missed the entire 2016-2017 season due to a torn right ACL; he tore his left ACL in high school. He reinjured his left ACL in the first exhibition game of 2017-2018 but only ended up missing 7 games. He then played an entire 30-game season in 2018-2019.

1 hour ago, ACE said:

I'd hate to see us head into this season with two open scholarships, especially when you consider one of our project bigs has dealt with injuries in the past. IMO, the recruiting this spring has been disappointing.

I think Coach Ford's competitiveness may have gotten the best of him. He held out for a difference maker when there were serviceable bigs available earlier in the spring.

The competition for grad transfer bigs in the spring is stiff, especially for mid-majors. If you can land a guy who can give you 20 min a game, consider yourself fortunate. Missing out on a big will probably cost us a few W's. Unfortunate, but this was a rebuilding year anyway IMO.

Don't like seeing Arizona in the mix again. This could be a Justin Coleman situation again. Arizona has been churning through players in recent years. Not long ago a program like that wouldn't have been interested in a player like Weaver.

1 hour ago, ACE said:

Don't like seeing Arizona in the mix again. This could be a Justin Coleman situation again. Arizona has been churning through players in recent years. Not long ago a program like that wouldn't have been interested in a player like Weaver.

Arizona is going after a 5-10 shooting guard who averaged 10 ppg at a low-major? How the mighty have fallen.

Billiken Rich likes this