Grad Transfers - 2019

ACE

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/college/virginia-tech/Article/The-Latest-Mike-Young-comments-on-Kerry-Blackshear-situation-132181643/Amp/

zero update on Blackshear but he is most likely not going to stay in the draft. Ford could maybe get him to commit, ensuring him that it would mean substantial  minutes compared to a blue blood to get him ready for the NBA. He would be our next Bess. 

And I don’t think anyone here would argue he would get a majority of minutes 

10 minutes ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/college/virginia-tech/Article/The-Latest-Mike-Young-comments-on-Kerry-Blackshear-situation-132181643/Amp/

zero update on Blackshear but he is most likely not going to stay in the draft. Ford could maybe get him to commit, ensuring him that it would mean substantial  minutes compared to a blue blood to get him ready for the NBA. He would be our next Bess. 

And I don’t think anyone here would argue he would get a majority of minutes 

giphy.gif

The list of potential GT bigs keeps shrinking. Recent transfers:

Sylvester Ogbonda - Georgia Tech to Ohio

Cian Sullivan - La Salle to Hartford

Micaiah Henry - Tennessee Tech to South Carolina

Aleksandar Dosic - Marist to Wright State

EDIT: Jalone Friday - Abilene Christian to New Mexico State

As for who's left, Shakur Juiston (UNLV) and Kerry Blackshear (VT) are clearly the top two candidates and will have a spot wherever they want to go. Others: Anastasios Demogerontas (Northern Illinois), Shaquillo Fritz (Arkansas State), Eric Hamilton (UNCG), Romani Hansen (Savannah State), Tyrell Harper (Savannah State), Kelvin Jones (Idaho State), Dusan Kovacevic (Davidson), Kyle McKinley (Louisiana Tech), Collin McManus (Penn), Emmanuel Olojakpoke (Akron), Demola Onifade (Delaware State), Patrick Szpir (Chicago State), Alonzo Tyson (Colorado State), Jalen Williams (Furman).

Am I missing any?

Ford said he'd only use the last scholarship if we can find a "difference maker" and most of those guys don't fit that description. The first two do, obviously, and a few more are probably worth a scholarship but most would be reaches.

Question is what's a "difference maker"? Does it means getting someone who could be all A10 or someone who can start or get serious minutes alongside French? Would anyone consider a DJ clone to be a difference maker? I'd rather see Hargrove and Perkins get the minutes rather than a DJ level PF. That level of talent is not going to increase our chance of getting to the dance by much. Develop what we've got because they're our future at this point. 

10 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Question is what's a "difference maker"? Does it means getting someone who could be all A10 or someone who can start or get serious minutes alongside French? Would anyone consider a DJ clone to be a difference maker? I'd rather see Hargrove and Perkins get the minutes rather than a DJ level PF. That level of talent is not going to increase our chance of getting to the dance by much. Develop what we've got because they're our future at this point. 

Ford chooses his words carefully. A "difference maker" is whatever he says it is, and gives him a reasonable argument for doing whatever he ends up doing with the last scholarship. Right now, the leading candidate for the scholarship is Brandon Courtney.

HoosierPal likes this

46 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Ford chooses his words carefully. A "difference maker" is whatever he says it is, and gives him a reasonable argument for doing whatever he ends up doing with the last scholarship. Right now, the leading candidate for the scholarship is Brandon Courtney.

Glad I googled him before I made a fool of myself. 

53 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Glad I googled him before I made a fool of myself. 

Me too 72, the name sounded familiar.

5 hours ago, Pistol said:

I think we've discussed this in the past.  I'm pretty sure giving that last scholarship to Courtney precludes SLU from potentially adding a mid-season transfer.  Therefore, as cool as it is to see a walk-on earn a scholarship, I'd rather Ford just leave it unfilled to keep his options open.

17 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

I think we've discussed this in the past.  I'm pretty sure giving that last scholarship to Courtney precludes SLU from potentially adding a mid-season transfer.  Therefore, as cool as it is to see a walk-on earn a scholarship, I'd rather Ford just leave it unfilled to keep his options open.

I am not saying you are wrong but couldn't he just give it out for the semester?

Jimmy Whitt will be a grad transfer from SMU. Unusual numbers for a guard - stats are more like a big man - excellent rebounding, but very few 3-point attempts and bad free throw shooter. I know we recruited him at one point and not ideal to have another guard, but with those rebounding numbers, maybe we just play a lot of four guards and be a bit unconventional. Would be better than a saved scholarship. He's from Columbia, so SPUMAC could make sense as a landing spot.

7 minutes ago, ACE said:

Jimmy Whitt will be a grad transfer from SMU. Unusual numbers for a guard - stats are more like a big man - excellent rebounding, but very few 3-point attempts and bad free throw shooter. I know we recruited him at one point and not ideal to have another guard, but with those rebounding numbers, maybe we just play a lot of four guards and be a bit unconventional. Would be better than a saved scholarship. He's from Columbia, so SPUMAC could make sense as a landing spot.

14% from 3? omg

1 hour ago, ACE said:

No thanks 

AGB91 likes this

New GT big on the wire:

Fringe top 100 recruit in 2016, played sparingly at Arizona State, went to San Jacinto College (TX) for his sophomore year and averaged 8.4 PPG and 6.5 RPG. He went to Mississippi State for his junior year but didn't play at all. He wasn't hurt. They just didn't play him. He graduated this weekend and put his name in the transfer portal two days ago. He's immediately eligible, with two seasons left.

I'm not sure about fit here - he's 6-10, 260 and we already have two huge dudes coming in - but he does have a few years of age and experience on them, even if he didn't see game action this year. He also doesn't free up a 2020 scholarship for us. I also have questions about why he didn't fit at MSU; it makes sense for future eligibility not to play at all once it's clear you're not going to see meaningful time, but how didn't he at least crack the end of the rotation? There's more to the story here. Doesn't help that he's deleted his old Twitter account and started a new, extra salty one:

And that he spit on UT fans on his way out of their arena:

He clearly needs a fresh start somewhere and has some potential. Not sure that he's the "difference maker" we need, though.

1 minute ago, Pistol said:

New GT big on the wire:

Fringe top 100 recruit in 2016, played sparingly at Arizona State, went to San Jacinto College (TX) for his sophomore year and averaged 8.4 PPG and 6.5 RPG. He went to Mississippi State for his junior year but didn't play at all. He wasn't hurt. They just didn't play him. He graduated this weekend and put his name in the transfer portal two days ago. He's immediately eligible, with two seasons left.

I'm not sure about fit here - he's 6-10, 260 and we already have two huge dudes coming in - but he does have a few years of age and experience on them, even if he didn't see game action this year. He also doesn't free up a 2020 scholarship for us. I also have questions about why he didn't fit at MSU; it makes sense for future eligibility not to play at all once it's clear you're not going to see meaningful time, but how didn't he at least crack the end of the rotation? There's more to the story here. Doesn't help that he's deleted his old Twitter account and started a new, extra salty one:

He clearly needs a fresh start somewhere and has some potential. Not sure that he's the "difference maker" we need, though.

More like he needs an anger management course. 

7 minutes ago, Pistol said:

New GT big on the wire:

If it was for one year as a roster filler, then maybe worth a shot, but two-years seems like a deal breaker for a player like this.

If we were having problems with getting together a team to play with (and we have been in situations like that over the last few years), I would consider giving him a chance. However with a good team in place and only one scholarship left, I would pass on him. I think he might be trouble.

Dude can’t be a total loser if he was able to graduate in three years despite going to three different schools. That takes some serious discipline.

Never seen him play. He is originally from the Congo.  The 7’5” wingspan and 6% body fat at 260 are intriguing. He is a shot blocker. I might take a flyer on the guy. 

19 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Dude can’t be a total loser if he was able to graduate in three years despite going to three different schools. That takes some serious discipline.

Never seen him play. He is originally from the Congo.  The 7’5” wingspan and 6% body fat at 260 are intriguing. He is a shot blocker. I might take a flyer on the guy. 

He is not a moron. Check. Neither was Carteare. The problem isn’t one of academic intelligence.

48 minutes ago, brianstl said:

There are a lot of fit guys who don't have the competitive fire to play high level basketball. The lackluster juco stats are a red flag to me.

57 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

There are a lot of fit guys who don't have the competitive fire to play high level basketball. The lackluster juco stats are a red flag to me.

I don’t think the guy will ever be an offensive threat, but the almost 4  blocks a game he averaged in juco was pretty impressive.  He averaged over 7 blocks per 100 possessions as a freshman at ASU. At this point I just want a guy that can be a presence on the defensive end.