Grad Transfers - 2019

ACE

4 hours ago, Cincybill said:

Dixon to NC State

Wowza.  That's it is a big jump in competition level from the WAC to the ACC.  It's not like he was even dominating the WAC or anything.  This is another example of how hard it is for SLU to land a decent GT big man.

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Wowza.  That's it is a big jump in competition level from the WAC to the ACC.  It's not like he was even dominating the WAC or anything.  This is another example of how hard it is for SLU to land a decent GT big man.

These kids are all getting over recruited. Teams are placing a high value on experience over talent/production. 

Not a grad transfer, but Karrington Davis (Chaminade, Montverde) has entered the transfer portal. Spent his freshman year at Nebraska sitting out with a medical redshirt after tearing his ACL in the preseason.

20 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Not a grad transfer, but Karrington Davis (Chaminade, Montverde) has entered the transfer portal. Spent his freshman year at Nebraska sitting out with a medical redshirt after tearing his ACL in the preseason.

From Big Red TodayDavis, a 6-foot-6, 215-pound guard, suffered an Achilles injury in October and missed the season. Davis was a three-star guard out of St. Louis and held offers from Nebraska, Kansas State, Middle Tennessee State and Saint Louis. Davis has spent the past seven months rehabbing to be ready for next season. He was off crutches in March.

This paragraph in Big Red Today was interesting.

Under NCAA rules, Hoiberg and his staff are allowed to move scholarship players off the team despite the student-athletes signing four-year scholarships with the school. Though the NCAA protects student-athlete scholarships in nearly every case, during a coaching change the NCAA allows the new coach to deny the renewal of the scholarship for the next season. Should the players choose, they would be allowed to stay at Nebraska on scholarship, but they would not count toward the 13 scholarships allotted to men’s basketball.

And confirmed Davis was not renewed here in the Daily Nebraskan

Both players were told by head coach Fred Hoiberg over the weekend that they would no longer have a spot on the team, according the the Omaha World-Herald.

Do we want this guy after he had an Achilles tendon injury (apparently not an ACL injury, and much harder to mend than an ACL tear) that kept him from playing during the season and required crutches until this past March? It appears that he decided to transfer out of Nebraska after his scholarship was yanked out. Do we want this kid?

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

My post was not to suggest we should pursue him. I agree that he doesn't fit a need. He's just an STL kid who had a SLU offer so I thought his transfer was notable.

It is notable and I appreciate the post.

He should go the JUCO route and see if he can rebuild himself as a good player and might be a viable player in a year or 2.

5 minutes ago, CBFan said:

It is notable and I appreciate the post.

He should go the JUCO route and see if he can rebuild himself as a good player and might be a viable player in a year or 2.

I think he should be able to find a good D-I landing spot, and he might be able to get a waiver based on the fact that he sat last year with a medical redshirt and was shoved out of Nebraska because of a coaching change.

He's a D-I player. Just one who's had a string of bad luck.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

My post was not to suggest we should pursue him. I agree that he doesn't fit a need. He's just an STL kid who had a SLU offer so I thought his transfer was notable.

Oh for sure I was just saying. I used to want him at SLU.

51 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I think he should be able to find a good D-I landing spot, and he might be able to get a waiver based on the fact that he sat last year with a medical redshirt and was shoved out of Nebraska because of a coaching change.

He's a D-I player. Just one who's had a string of bad luck.

I entirely agree with what you say, the problem here is that similar words could have applied to Welmer had he decided to transfer after sitting his first year with his injury. In other words it is a gamble that the kid will fully recover.

59 minutes ago, Old guy said:

I entirely agree with what you say, the problem here is that similar words could have applied to Welmer had he decided to transfer after sitting his first year with his injury. In other words it is a gamble that the kid will fully recover.

That's probably true of anyone who's suffered a major injury. I think Welmer was a unique case, though. His foot injury was chronic and he never fully recovered. Davis tore his ACL, had surgery, and is in the back half of his recovery year. He should be fully able to go next season.

Davis missed most of his prep school season with a chronic hip injury. He hasn't played any meaningful basketball in two years. He's a tremendous injury risk at this point. I agree with CBFan, he should go the juco route if he wants to re-establish his reputation as a mid-major+ D-1 player.  

7 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

From Big Red TodayDavis, a 6-foot-6, 215-pound guard, suffered an Achilles injury in October and missed the season. Davis was a three-star guard out of St. Louis and held offers from Nebraska, Kansas State, Middle Tennessee State and Saint Louis. Davis has spent the past seven months rehabbing to be ready for next season. He was off crutches in March.

This paragraph in Big Red Today was interesting.

Under NCAA rules, Hoiberg and his staff are allowed to move scholarship players off the team despite the student-athletes signing four-year scholarships with the school. Though the NCAA protects student-athlete scholarships in nearly every case, during a coaching change the NCAA allows the new coach to deny the renewal of the scholarship for the next season. Should the players choose, they would be allowed to stay at Nebraska on scholarship, but they would not count toward the 13 scholarships allotted to men’s basketball.

And confirmed Davis was not renewed here in the Daily Nebraskan

Both players were told by head coach Fred Hoiberg over the weekend that they would no longer have a spot on the team, according the the Omaha World-Herald.

-thanks for the post, some new stuff in here for me relating to scholarships

4 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Davis missed most of his prep school season with a chronic hip injury. He hasn't played any meaningful basketball in two years. He's a tremendous injury risk at this point. I agree with CBFan, he should go the juco route if he wants to re-establish his reputation as a mid-major+ D-1 player.  

I would not want to get saddled with another Welmer in our team. Thank you but no thank you.

4 hours ago, Cowboy said:

-thanks for the post, some new stuff in here for me relating to scholarships

I was unaware of the coaching change rule and of the “remain on scholarship” provision. So he could still have a free ride at Nebraska, but no hoops. That’s really pretty good that the NCAA has that provision. 

almaman likes this