Grad Transfers - 2019

ACE

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Scoop said:

My Goodness we must be on to someone I would hope.  All these descent bigs going to no name schools.

It is interesting that many of the guards from smaller conferences seem to be landing at a higher level than I would have expected, while several of the bigs are going to a lower level than I would have anticipated.

58 minutes ago, Sheltiedave said:

Guards that are good are playing up. Bigs are realizing they are not NBA material, but they can get a grad degree for free and run to take advantage of a great deal.

Two completely different scenarios.

If that were the case, then why in the hell would a big from Northwestern think getting a grad degree from Methdale was a "great deal"? 🙄

Cincybill likes this

35 minutes ago, Sheltiedave said:

Would you look a free grad degree in the mouth?

In educational terms - from Northwestern to Methdale is a steep drop. There are a lot of other places he could have gotten his grad degree from. 

Oldguy, if he wants to get a masters in Medical Dosimetry and then work in St. Louis after graduation, then Methdale is the perfect program for him.

There are other advanced degree programs that offer advantages over Northwestern - not a plethora, but a few - so don't let our overall disdain for Methdale colour every aspect of this young man's future.

This is not disdain, it is reality. If you get an MBA from Northwestern you will command something like $20,000 more per year entering salary after graduation than with an MBA from SIUC. You have to look for the extra pay, but it is available. If you want some kind of infrequent grad degree only offered in SIUC then you go to SIUC. I am not saying you will know more coming from Northwestern than from SIUC, but you can get paid more. I did not make the world, I only live in it.

SLU_Lax and rgbilliken like this

This board has been focused on one year Graduate Transfers.  The coaching staff has never said that was their sole focus.  Coach Ford has said, we need experienced bigs, and last month Coach Tate said when asked about Grad Transfers, "There is no formula in recruiting, at the end of the day we know what we need, bigs.  However they come, if they can play, they can be in uniform."

One year GT's, 2 year GT's, waiver-friendly transfer, JUCO's, foreign players, all are likely under consideration.  I trust that Coach will remain focused more on next season rather than 20-21.  If he grabs a worthy 2 year transfer or JUCO, so be it.  He won't turn down a potential rotation contributor for next season's team even if it means burning all scholarships.

6 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

This board has been focused on one year Graduate Transfers.  The coaching staff has never said that was their sole focus.  Coach Ford has said, we need experienced bigs, and more recently Coach Tate said, "There is no formula in recruiting, at the end of the day we know what we need, bigs.  However they come, they can play, they can be in uniform."

One year GT's, 2 year GT's, waiver-friendly transfer, JUCO's, foreign players, all are likely under consideration.  I trust that Coach will remain focused more on next season rather than 20-21.  If he grabs a worthy 2 year transfer or JUCO, so be it.  He won't turn down a potential rotation contributor for next season's team even if it means burning all scholarships.

I agree with this especially the highlighted quote.

If coach Ford can get good bigs that are not GT's then sign them and if the 2020 recruits want to play for SLU under coach Ford then make an oral commitment today then coach Ford will know that he needs to sign a GT so that spot is open for 2020.

Now that SLU has made the NCAA tournament a spot on the roster should be coveted by players and if there are players like Hargrove that are good and really want to be at SLU then sign them now do not wait for anyone.

HoosierPal likes this

We don't need another guard but this guy is now available. Elijah Mitrou-Long transferring from Texas,  went to a Jesuit HS originally from Canada.   Hit 33 of 103 3Pts.  Didn't play much down the stretch in NIT.  Started at Mount St. Mary's.   In the future this dude's going to get so many alumni donor solicitations with all his schools. 

https://www.burntorangenation.com/platform/amp/basketball/2019/5/2/18527753/elijah-mitrou-long-enters-ncaa-transfer-portal-texas-longhorns-guard

4 hours ago, CBFan said:

Now that SLU has made the NCAA tournament a spot on the roster should be coveted by players 

Last season’s 4 game conference tournament sweep cannot be underestimated.  

1. Ford can now turn to potential GT bigs and say - come to SLU and do what last year’s GTs (Isabell and Wiley) did. 

2. The setback caused by Situation II became minimized - Ford doesnt have to explain to the recruits and casual observer why he didnt win w his early recruits 

3. Any pressure to win, and win now, is off his back as SLU has, I presume, already deposited its 1st of 4 or 5 NCAA Tourney checks. 

4. Ford can now reload  and seek another Tourney bid w juniors French and Goodwin to lead the way. 

42 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Last season’s 4 game conference tournament sweep cannot be underestimated.  

1. Ford can now turn to potential GT bigs and say - come to SLU and do what last year’s GTs (Isabell and Wiley) did. 

2. The setback caused by Situation II became minimized - Ford doesnt have to explain to the recruits and casual observer why he didnt win w his early recruits 

3. Any pressure to win, and win now, is off his back as SLU has, I presume, already deposited its 1st of 4 or 5 NCAA Tourney checks. 

4. Ford can now reload  and seek another Tourney bid w juniors French and Goodwin to lead the way. 

I sure someone else can chime in about this but I do not think they get the NCAA money so quickly.

I am currently in Rome with the wife and I can confirm that Ford was at the Trevi Fountain last night having grappa and gelato with an Italian big. Ford had mango gelato and the recruit had pistachio. People kept calling him 'La Grande Lasagna.' Only part of this is true.

Littlebill likes this

23 minutes ago, Bizziken said:

I am currently in Rome with the wife and I can confirm that Ford was at the Trevi Fountain last night having grappa and gelato with an Italian big. Ford had mango gelato and the recruit had pistachio. People kept calling him 'La Grande Lasagna.' Only part of this is true.

The gelato part?

almaman likes this

A few more will probably still hit the market, but the bigs market is starting to run dry...

There are several fairly productive bigs on bad teams, who averaged somewhere in the 7-10 ppg; 4-5 rpg range - and they are...

Danny Dixon, UMKC

Aleksander Dozic, Marist

Vincent Eze, Maine

Romani Hansen, Savannah State

Tyrell Harper, Savannah State

Micaiah Henry, Tenn Tech

Kelvin Jones, Idaho State

Tashombe Riley, South Alabama

A few from P5 conferences

Jayce Johnson, Utah * productive player

Sylvester Ogbonda, Ga Tech & Daniel Giddens, Alabama * Not productive players, would seem to fall in Rasheed Anthony category, although Giddens started his career at Ohio State, he's somewhat intriguing if we are taking a flier.

Juiston, UNLV would seem like a long shot, but I'd love to be pleasantly surprised.

One other wild-card - Jalone Friday, a very productive big for Abilene Christian - he got dismissed from the team for undisclosed reasons - we don't want any potential off court problems, but at that goofy school, he could have been dismissed for dancing or having a drink. It will be interesting to see who gives him a shot.