Grad Transfers - 2019

ACE

8 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Take this for what it’s worth, but Frank just said SLU is in the mix for grand transfer bigs from Drexel and Nevada. I know they have both been mentioned in this thread.

Nevada has a big that is transferring but he was a freshman i thought. former mcdonalds AA

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, SLUMedBilliken15 said:

I'm guessing the Nevada transfer is 6-11 Jordan Brown. Not a grad transfer though.

You’re probably right. I thought a Nevada transfer was mentioned in here at one time, but I’m wrong. The Drexel transfer should be Alihan Demir.

sounds like a great plan.   demir plays next season and brown is in the wings learning the system and demir's spot and then steps in seamlessly the following season.   great!

20 minutes ago, Cincybill said:

Didn't know Nevada had a grad transfer big. 6'9 Alihan Demir from Drexel?? Averaged 15 and 6. Visited Minnesota and is visiting Kansas State this weekend. Might be down to those two though.

https://twitter.com/Riley_Gates/status/1123563915911233536?s=09

Isn't Mike Lewis technically a grad transfer from Nevada?

21 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Take this for what it’s worth, but Frank just said SLU is in the mix for grand transfer bigs from Drexel and Nevada. I know they have both been mentioned in this thread.

The only big transferring out of Neveda is freshman Jordan Brown.  He was a 5 star top 10 recruit.

I think Frank is probably referring Shakur Juiston from UNLV.

26 minutes ago, STLsportsfan said:

Jordan Brown was a McDonalds All-American last year 

As a McD AA, Jordan Brown averaged 3.0 ppg and 2.1 rpg for Nevada last season in 33 games.  Those are Austin Gillmanesque freshman numbers.

Alihan Demir is the only Drexel transfer, so there's no mystery there - except the fact that he said he was down to two schools after visiting K-State; his only other visit was Minnesota. So unless he's being tricky with his language and means that only one of those two is in play and SLU is the other, something must've changed in the past day.

Here are the transfers from Nevada and UNLV:

Nevada.PNG

UNLV.PNG

Juiston is not marked as a grad transfer on the post above - this is VerbalCommits' transfer list, and "Yes" means immediately eligible - but he is graduating on May 18, and said he would not announce a commitment until after graduation. From the Las Vegas Sun:

Juiston should be eligible to play right away next year as a grad transfer; Dembele, Ntambwe and Tchamwa Tchatchoua will have to sit out a year before gaining eligibility at their next school.

Juiston committed to UNLV in the spring of 2017 as the No. 1-ranked junior college prospect in the country and lived up to the hype, starting every game in 2017-18 and posting 14.6 points and 10.0 rebounds per game. His numbers dipped slightly this season, as he averaged 10.8 points and 8.8 points over eight games before a knee injury sidelined him for the rest of the year. Juiston was planning to obtain a medical redshirt to return to UNLV in 2019-20 as a fifth-year senior, but now it appears his final campaign will be played elsewhere.

Juiston visited Grand Canyon, but I think that's it so far. He's one of the highest profile GTs left, no question. Immediately after entering the portal, it was reported that "several Power Five conference schools and at least one Mountain West team have inquired about Juiston" but I don't have specific names. Lot of thirsty fans asking about him on Twitter.

In addition to the schools listed in @RiseAndGrind's post above, Jordan Brown hasn't ruled out returning to Nevada and some think that's the most likely scenario. He's talking about visiting Arizona and Kentucky but nothing has been set up yet.

Frank clearly misspoke - I'm not sure whether he meant "UNLV" instead of "Nevada" or if he didn't mean to say "big" and meant Lewis, or if he didn't mean "grad transfer" about another big from Nevada. So yeah, it could be Lewis, Juiston, or Brown - I'm assuming Townsell and Stevenson aren't considered "bigs" here, though. It's a shame that this is the best information we have about the last two scholarships and one major detail is wrong. Based on the evidence, I think it's gotta be Juiston and not Brown that he's talking about.

22 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Alihan Demir is the only Drexel transfer, so there's no mystery there - except the fact that he said he was down to two schools after visiting K-State; his only other visit was Minnesota. So unless he's being tricky with his language and means that only one of those two is in play and SLU is the other, something must've changed in the past day.

Here are the transfers from Nevada and UNLV:

Nevada.PNG

UNLV.PNG

There are many outstanding basketball names on this list.

Not a lot of decent grad transfer bigs out there. I'm surprised KJ Lawson has not attracted more interest. He had a very productive sophomore season at Memphis. He has had visits to places like Tulane and Georgia State. I wish we could get in the mix.

If we strike out on the grad transfer big, I hope Ford can land a quality sit-one transfer big. Also, wouldn't be shocked it Ford is also exploring the foreign or JUCO market to land a big. He has proven that he will look at all avenues.

Derrick Walker, a 6-8 power forward for Tennessee just hit the market. He played in almost every game as a freshman, but had a reduced role this past year. Was a 3-star coming out of Kansas City - he played for MoKan. Would have to sit a year. It would seem this kid could fit the profile of a solid A-10 big.

1 hour ago, ACE said:

Matt Ryan from Vandy going to Chattanooga - thought he may have been able to do a little better.

Had the same reaction when I saw that Javan White from Clemson is going to UMKC.

And with Deng Geu going to North Texas.