Grad Transfers - 2019

ACE

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Notes on grad transfer bigs we've discussed:

-Barret Benson has interest from SIUC and Valpo; can't confirm any others yet.

-Alihan Demir's visit to Minnesota went very well. Marquette is talking with him today.

-Aaron Falzon visited Siena a week and a half ago.

-Deng Geu visited North Texas, UNC-Greensboro, and Wright State this weekend. Marquette has also reached out.

-Micaiah Henry from Tennessee Tech is one we haven't discussed. Newer to the portal. Averaged 9.7 and 4.7 in 25.3 MPG. Shot 58% from the field but he's another bad FT shooter.

-T.J. Holyfield is down to Illinois, Miami, Kansas, Texas Tech, and Oregon.

-Jayce Johnson is visiting Nebraska.

-Matej Kavas visited Nebraska.

-Dominik Olejniczak is down to Charlotte and Florida State.

-Rayjon Tucker visited Auburn, and Memphis, Iowa State, and Kansas are next. UNC is supposedly involved, too, and he's also considering jumping to the NBA. He's considered the second-best grad transfer after Kerry Blackshear.

-I'm seeing Yanni Wetzell's name linked to San Diego State; not sure if it's legit or just fans, though.

-Javan White visited Buffalo.

Trying to turn over every stone here to see who SLU might be on, but so far I'm coming up empty.

I find it odd that we haven't heard ANYTHING about being involved with any of these players.

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I find it odd that we haven't heard ANYTHING about being involved with any of these players.

Sometimes these grad transfer commitments pop up out of the blue without any previous reporting. For example, when Wiley signed with us and I don't recall any previous reports of interest or a visit. And following how it is with other grad transfers, it's not that uncommon for some of these commitments to happen quickly and without warning.

Just now, ACE said:

Sometimes these grad transfer commitments pop up out of the blue without any previous reporting. For example, Wiley signed with us and I don't recall any previous reports of interest or a visit. And following how it is with other grad transfers, it's not that uncommon for some of these commitments to happen quickly.

Right. I just think we have such a small pool of players that fit our need and a lot of them are being connected with schools I just find it weird. Perhaps it's the lack of coverage in recruiting.

1 minute ago, billikenfan05 said:

Right. I just think we have such a small pool of players that fit our need and a lot of them are being connected with schools I just find it weird. Perhaps it's the lack of coverage in recruiting.

That is something I have wondered. It seems like Frank C. is the only one who puts out SLU recruiting information that is beyond what Pistol is able to gather.

7 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

That is something I have wondered. It seems like Frank C. is the only one who puts out SLU recruiting information that is beyond what Pistol is able to gather.

wish we had a beat writer 

This time of year, it's just such a quick process with most guys. A lot of them are late bloomers out of HS/prep school signing in the spring, or unsigned qualifiers out of juco, or transfers/grad transfers. There are still some of those yet to announce. So we often don't find out about a player until we have a visit or even a commitment.

And yeah, without dedicated beat writers outside the local newspaper (Stu has other responsibilities for the P-D), there isn't as much noise. It's that way for most schools, though. Especially with grad transfers and jucos, if you're not a blueblood with a lot of writers on the trail, there's just not much noise out there.

I try to search as many things as I can to find what SLU might be up to; it's tricky, though, for a lot of reasons. Our staff isn't as active on Twitter as some others. We don't have a 247Sports/Rivals/etc. writer focusing on SLU. The STL-based sources are focused on a lot of other things. We have a tough school name to search because it takes so many forms - SLU, St. Louis, Saint Louis - and is also the name of a major city. If I'm looking for, say, Villanova offers or visits or interest, any word along with "villanova" in a search is going to get me what I want. But if I'm looking for SLU basketball recruiting info, it's much tougher because of the many forms and purposes of "St. Louis". Seems like a small, dumb thing, but it's not.

Zink and RUBillsFan like this

30 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

We're going to attempt to really cover more SLU recruiting with the website we're working on.

1 hour ago, ACE said:

Sometimes these grad transfer commitments pop up out of the blue without any previous reporting. For example, when Wiley signed with us and I don't recall any previous reports of interest or a visit. And following how it is with other grad transfers, it's not that uncommon for some of these commitments to happen quickly and without warning.

Agreed.  I know it's not quite the same, but perkins' commitment came out of nowhere as well.  At this point, just got to trust Ford and his staff.  They've shown they can get it done on the recruiting trail and I'll continue to believe that will be the case until proven otherwise.  

VeniceMenace likes this

4 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Agreed.  I know it's not quite the same, but perkins' commitment came out of nowhere as well.  At this point, just got to trust Ford and his staff.  They've shown they can get it done on the recruiting trail and I'll continue to believe that will be the case until proven otherwise.  

With so much information on social media and highly competitive recruiting from many schools, I think the staff at SLU will play its cards very close to the vest if they identify a possible recruit that fits in with our team. I do not think they believe there is any benefit in telling everyone who they are recruiting.

1 hour ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

He never played when dukes played us tho

He played us in his freshman and sophomore years and played well.

I am glad he is with us for his senior season, I feel real good about our guards going into 2019-2020 if he gets his waiver.

Come on Coach Ford sign us some bigs.

14 minutes ago, Sheltiedave said:

A juco bid sex organ blocks us from signing a local big with a higher ceiling for the coming year...not the best of worlds.

Come again?

Always nice to have a big sex organ.

TheChosenOne likes this

28 minutes ago, Basketbill said:

He did not play against us last year.  Which was the year the question was referring to.  

1 hour ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

He never played when dukes played us tho

The statement is shown.  No year was referenced. Last time I looked, never means....never.   Lewis played against the Billikens.  It would have been very easy to reference last season in the post.

Edited by HoosierPal

On 4/24/2019 at 1:41 PM, Pistol said:

-Alihan Demir's visit to Minnesota went very well. Marquette is talking with him today.

Demir is visiting K-State Sunday according to Rothstein.  Cal is now supposedly in on Demir, too.  So you got KSU, Minn, Cal, Marquette, Nebraska, and Miami as teams reported in play for Demir.