Grad Transfers - 2019

ACE

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

what quality freshman big is still available in the spring?

I really don’t know, but we look really nice in the front court with a front court of Bell, Demir and French. You know now that I say it a traditional transfer would honestly be the move IMO.

29 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I wonder if we get Demir if we go young with our next recruit and bring in a freshman big 

Unless Ford wants to play small more often (not a bad idea IMO), then I'd like to grab another GT big (stretch or traditional).  I'm not counting on much out of Bell during his freshman season, so French and potentially Demir would be our only true bigs.  Hankton, Perkins, and Hargrove all would potentially give you minutes at the 4/5 spots, but aren't guys I'd want to count on too much there defensively.  Adding a spring signee freshman big would likely be a Bell type who we wouldn't count on much right away.  I'd rather take someone who is more proven to give us depth and also open up a guaranteed 2nd (or 3rd depending on what happens with Lewis) 2020 scholarship.

Zink likes this

24 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Unless Ford wants to play small more often (not a bad idea IMO), then I'd like to grab another GT big (stretch or traditional).  I'm not counting on much out of Bell during his freshman season, so French and potentially Demir would be our only true bigs.  Hankton, Perkins, and Hargrove all would potentially give you minutes at the 4/5 spots, but aren't guys I'd want to count on too much there defensively.  Adding a spring signee freshman big would likely be a Bell type who we wouldn't count on much right away. I'd rather take someone who is more proven to give us depth and also open up a guaranteed 2nd (or 3rd depending on what happens with Lewis) 2020 scholarship.

6'7 combo forward Robert Carpenter is still out there. Was 1st team all-conference in the best prep school conference in the country.

Zink likes this

4 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

6'7 combo forward Robert Carpenter is still out there. Was 1st team all-conference in the best prep school conference in the country.

It looks to me like Carpenter is more of a wing than a big.  6’6 or 6’7 and around 200 lbs.  I’d imagine he’d be competing with Perkins, Hankton, and Hargrove for minutes not providing depth behind French.

If you’re going for best available talent (not a bad plan) and planning on playing small (again perhaps not a bad plan), then I’d be perfectly happy to have Carpenter.

Zink likes this

Matt Freeman from Oklahoma was a grad transfer big we'd mentioned. He's off the board to UC-Santa Barbara. NZ guy wanted to be close to the beach, I guess.

Not a GT, but Nana Akenten is leaving Nebraska. Crews recruited him and Ford reached out after taking over but never offered. I don't think he fills a need on our roster, though.

Alihan Demir starts his OV at Minnesota tomorrow. Also being recruited by VT, Texas Tech, Texas A&M, Arkansas, Pitt, Georgetown, Washington State, USC, Florida, Butler, San Francisco, UNLV, K-State, and Arizona State. I like the idea of Isabell talking to him about SLU like @billikenfan05 mentioned, so hopefully he's not too late because I'm not seeing our name tied to him otherwise.

Just now, Pistol said:

Alihan Demir starts his OV at Minnesota tomorrow. Also being recruited by VT, Texas Tech, Texas A&M, Arkansas, Pitt, Georgetown, Washington State, USC, Florida, Butler, San Francisco, UNLV, K-State, and Arizona State. I like the idea of Isabell talking to him about SLU like @billikenfan05 mentioned, so hopefully he's not too late because I'm not seeing our name tied to him otherwise.

A lot of schools not named SLU

Image result for ugh gif

On 4/17/2019 at 1:18 PM, RUBillsFan said:

Him too.  I just glossed over his name on the list.  I'd be very happy to get one of those 3 guys preferably Demir or Stone.  Actually Deng Geu looks like he could be a good option as well, but I can't think of any connection that might help us land him.

I would certainly be happy to see us involved with either Demir or Geu, good find on both.

With regards to Demir, Isabell has to be a pretty ideal salesman for us (prior relationship with Tate coupled with the way Ford stuck with him when he struggled to find his role at SLU before him going on a historic run to finish his career). Hopefully Isabell can give us one more reason to celebrate his time as a Billiken.

16 minutes ago, ACE said:

This seems promising for Lewis to be able to play right away.

"

Student-athletes in some specific situations can now transfer and compete immediately without a waiver, the Division I Council decided this week. The Council met Thursday and Friday in Indianapolis.

College athletes who have enrolled in summer school and received athletics financial aid can transfer and play immediately without a waiver if their head coach departs before the first day of classes for the fall term. Additionally, walk-on student-athletes on teams that provide athletics aid and nonrecruited walk-ons can transfer and play immediately without a waiver. Those rules are effective for students who transfer to new schools this fall."

Not much shaking on the grad transfer market, a couple of bigs have come off the board, but a new name has popped up - Austin Trice from Kansas State. He was considered a disappointment this past season as he was rated as the 5th rated JUCO coming out of Wabash Valley. A 6-7 power forward out of Chicago known for his rebounding. He had double digit rebounding games in 2 of his first 3 games of the season, but production dropped off as season progressed. He had a season high 12 points against OSU. A very productive JUCO player, could be a good fit in the A-10.

Nysier Brooks, UC big man is grad transfer. Excellent shotblocker, 6-11 big man. A native of Philly, my guess is that he would have his sights set on a perceived bigger program - maybe Nova if he wants to head back home. I'm sure he will be in great demand.

2 hours ago, ACE said:

Not much shaking on the grad transfer market, a couple of bigs have come off the board, but a new name has popped up - Austin Trice from Kansas State. He was considered a disappointment this past season as he was rated as the 5th rated JUCO coming out of Wabash Valley. A 6-7 power forward out of Chicago known for his rebounding. He had double digit rebounding games in 2 of his first 3 games of the season, but production dropped off as season progressed. He had a season high 12 points against OSU. A very productive JUCO player, could be a good fit in the A-10.

Great rebounder.  Great energy guy.  Couldn't learn the plays and had off the court issues which led to the decrease in playing time.

19 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

Sorry.  Not familiar with him.  I agree with Ace...Trice could give an A-10 team valuable mins.  I was just giving a little clarity on why his minutes decreased.  

Mr. Dixon had a three game Billiken career, after signing on for the 06-07 season.  He does have the distinction of holding a Career and Single Season FG% record of 1.00%.  Yep, one for one.  He came to us from the great state of South Carolina.  He transferred out, going, I think to Southern.