Grad Transfers - 2019

ACE

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

Potentially interesting wrinkle here:  a tweet I read about Nevada’s roster imploding suggests that Lewis wasn’t in scholarship there. Not sure what that means though.

7 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

I didn't realize he was a walk-on at Nevada. 

4 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Probably like the situation when Cam Biedscheid transferred to Mizzou before they booted him.  They were at the scholarship limit so he would pay one semester and the next year move in a scholarship spot.

As a mid-season transfer, I think the plan was to bring him in and he'd be a walk-on for a semester so they were still within the 13 scholarship limit this past season. Then he'd be a scholarship player beginning this fall.

What I'm wondering is: mid-season transfers still get 1.5 years of eligibility if they start mid-season, right? So he'd be ready to go in about January, and then have the 2020-2021 year as a senior?

Just now, Pistol said:

As a mid-season transfer, I think the plan was to bring him in and he'd be a walk-on for a semester so they were still within the 13 scholarship limit this past season. Then he'd be a scholarship player beginning this fall.

What I'm wondering is: mid-season transfers still get 1.5 years of eligibility if they start mid-season, right? So he'd be ready to go in about January, and then have the 2020-2021 year as a senior?

If he sits this next season he has one season left.   If he plays at the break he just gets the rest of next season. If he left Duquesne with a waiver he can start at the beginning of next as a senior. 

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

If he sits this next season he has one season left.   If he plays at the break he just gets the rest of next season. If he left Duquesne with a waiver he can start at the beginning of next as a senior. 

He planned to sit next year and play the 2020 season at Nevada

44 minutes ago, Scoop said:

He didn't see any court time at Nevada this year.  Why wouldn't he have 1.5 years of eligibility like Ty Graves would have?

Ty Graves transferred mid freshman year.  Mike Lewis transferred mid junior year.

Edit: Ty also would have had 2.5 years.

13 minutes ago, laurk said:

Ty Graves transferred mid freshman year.  Mike Lewis transferred mid junior year.

Edit: Ty also would have had 2.5 years.

I guess I still don't get why he still wouldn't have 1.5 left if he sat out a year.  And why didn't Ty have 3.5 left?  Are the rules different if you transfer at semester?

1 hour ago, Scoop said:

I guess I still don't get why he still wouldn't have 1.5 left if he sat out a year.  And why didn't Ty have 3.5 left?  Are the rules different if you transfer at semester?

If you play even one minute, you burn one year of eligibility. The only exception is if you get injured very early in the season. Then you're a candidate for a medical redshirt.

If Ty Graves would have played here the spring semester of his sophomore year, that would have used a year of eligibility. However if we would have sat out his entire sophomore year, he could have played the whole season the following year and used the same year of eligibility.

16 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

http://nevadasagebrush.com/blog/2019/01/25/transfer-player-mike-lewis-ii-joins-pack-basketball/

Here is the article from his transfer to Nevada.  They had expected him to redshirt the 2019-2020 season.

Only way this makes sense to me is if he plays next year, second semester.  Why tie up a scholarship for two years to get one year?  And denies use of the scholarship for class of 2020 which SLU does not have any at the moment

brianstl likes this

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

Most guards in D1 shoot 40% or less from the field. How is that an F-?

Among "regulars" at D1 level....below 41% is considered an F-....A "regular" is considered a player who has made 100 FGs during the season. ...an average "regular" player ( C )  would be about 45.3 -46% .  I think if you take all D1 players the average could dip down below 40%. 

The good thing about using the bigger numbers is that they mean something....i.e....you can get a true read on a player....more predictable.

As an example.....This year Lewis was 38/ 48/ 32/ 69....but took only 60 shots from the field......13 from the FT line....the numbers for 2P were better but all the rest were worse....conclusion ...not meaningful due to small sample size....60 shots total for the whole season vs an average of 350 shots/ season the previous 2 years.....13 FTs  vs  an average of 123/ season the last 2 years. 

If you are winning by a few points with a few minutes to go ...this is the guy you want to give the ball to.  Used right he could be a good addition.

17 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Among "regulars" at D1 level....below 41% is considered an F-....A "regular" is considered a player who has made 100 FGs during the season. ...an average "regular" player ( C )  would be about 45.3 -46% .  I think if you take all D1 players the average could dip down below 40%. 

The good thing about using the bigger numbers is that they mean something....i.e....you can get a true read on a player....more predictable.

As an example.....This year Lewis was 38/ 48/ 32/ 69....but took only 60 shots from the field......13 from the FT line....the numbers for 2P were better but all the rest were worse....conclusion ...not meaningful due to small sample size....60 shots total for the whole season vs an average of 350 shots/ season the previous 2 years.....13 FTs  vs  an average of 123/ season the last 2 years. 

If you are winning by a few points with a few minutes to go ...this is the guy you want to give the ball to.  Used right he could be a good addition.

I'm sorry, the average D-1 guard doesn't shoot anywhere near 45%. You can't just lump in guards with frontcourt players.  Guards shoot a significantly lower percentage than bigs.  They're supposed to.  As a rule, they're shooting from much further away.

According to your scale, Kyle Guy and Fletcher Magee, two of the best shooting guards in the country, are C- shooters from the field.  That's just wrong.

59 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I'm sorry, the average D-1 guard doesn't shoot anywhere near 45%. You can't just lump in guards with frontcourt players.  Guards shoot a significantly lower percentage than bigs.  They're supposed to.  As a rule, they're shooting from much further away.

According to your scale, Kyle Guy and Fletcher Magee, two of the best shooting guards in the country, are C- shooters from the field.  That's just wrong.

I agree that Fletcher and Magee are 2 of the best players (not just best guards ) in the country. These 2 players are almost identical in what they do....not typical players so they will grade out strange but in the end the greatness will come through on the full analysis.

Let's take a look at the numbers ....

Guy...........45 /49/43/ 83.....C-/ C-/ A+/ A+

Magee.....44/49/ 42/ 91......D / C / A+ /A+

Hmmm...I think I see a pattern......2 of the best 3 pt and FT shooters in the country...but just average from inside the arc......Both take the vast majority of their shots from 3 pt range....In the case of Magee I have graded him on 2 Pt shots ...but in reality  he has not shot enough from 2 pt range to qualify as having a statistically large enough sample size....can you imagine ? ...he has taken over 500 shots and doesn't have enough 2s.  And Guy just barely makes enough 2s to register a grade..

So what does all this mean?  How does one  know if  these are good players?  Majerus  use to say that he was always looking for 180 players...players whose slash would add up to 180....FG%/ 3P%/ FT%=180.....I have refined that system ....If you score 171  ...you are an A+ player. ...a must have player. ....Guy scores a 171.... and Magee scores a 177...both A+ players...both must have players ...difference makers....

So coming full circle ...back to Mike Lewis II...40/ 36/ 82 = 158...a  B- player ...above average.

One last note ....if you like Guy and Magee  type players...Jimerson has the potential to match their numbers and become that type player.....Not hype ...he is doing it on the HS level and if it can translate to SLU,  we could have something special.