Grad Transfers - 2019

ACE

Yeah, that's the distinction I'm not clear about. If it goes into effect on 8/1, does that mean for players who sign after 8/1, or does it mean for their everyone's academic work after 8/1?

I don't have a strong feeling about the rule itself. I think only about 35% of GTs actually finish their advanced degree at their new school within two years, so they had to address it in some way.

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

NCAA shows again they are not interested in the student athlete. I always saw this as a rule that was beneficial to the athletes. They are rewarded for their hard work graduating early and get a chance to experience a year of college elsewhere while getting a start on a graduate degree. Now that will be severely limited.

3 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Yeah, that's the distinction I'm not clear about. If it goes into effect on 8/1, does that mean for players who sign after 8/1, or does it mean for their everyone's academic work after 8/1? 

If it wasn't the rule at the time you signed, then the rule would apply retroactively.  Possible, but I think that would be be a horrible precedent.

As with everything the pendulum always swings to far the other way.  Rule changes come about because of abuse by some and obviously coaches think this rule is being abused.  Asking kid to finish a grad program in one year is bit tough - do you think it applies to these certificate programs that our players were completing like TI?

2 minutes ago, willie said:

I believe Wiley was not seeking a graduate degree but a graduate certificate. A certificate signifies some type of expertise in a given field. So how would this type of program fit in? 

Interesting. What about Isabell?  

1 minute ago, HoosierPal said:

Interesting. What about Isabell?  

I believe IIsabell was working on a degree. I had never heard of the certificate thing before but that's  how it was announced on senior night. I also heard it during the NCAA tournament with someone else. 

14 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Here is the essence of the proposed GT change:

In two weeks, the N.C.A.A.’s primary legislative body, the Division I Council, will vote on a measure that could severely restrict graduate transfers. The proposed rule change would require that colleges accepting graduate transfers be docked a scholarship the next year if the transfer does not earn his secondary degree within a year.

The proposal, which could go into effect as soon as Aug. 1, would apply to only three sports — football, women’s basketball and men’s basketball — but appears particularly aimed at men’s basketball. 

Justin Sell conceded objections about practicality (many graduate programs take two years to complete) and fairness (the rule does not apply to athletes who compete as graduate students without transferring) were fair, but said his group’s intent was to “manage behavior.”

I'm skeptical of any rule change being pushed by Calipari. You think he was concerned about the good of the game or what's best for "the kids"???  When he was pushing this idea in 2016, he was living off the one and dones.  What's a potential threat to one and dones? More experienced players (grad transfers) moving around and making an impact. Notice after fighting it, now Calipari has dipped into the grad transfer market with Travis and now the Bucknell kid. Why would the NCAA listen to this con man who has a history of breaking their rules?

Anyway, the one bit of the grad transfer rule that I have always found odd, was allowing kids that have already transferred once to go to a third school so easily. I understand that they are sitting out one year when they transfer the first time, but it really enables a lot of kids to transfer a third time by more easily getting their degree in four years. It's almost incentivizes players to transfer the first time. It turned out benefiting us with TI, but could have in theory really hurt us with Bess, Don't know if he got his degree in four years, but he was in school that long. It kinda sucks for the school that invests in a kid when they are sitting out a year, only to increase the chances of that kid leaving after their redshirt junior season.

The first kid I remember doing the three school grad transfer route was a tool who SLU recruited at one time - Jeff Peterson. Started at Iowa, went to Arkansas and ended at Florida State. It was almost unheard of when it happened, but now it is fairly common to have a player go to three schools.

7 minutes ago, ACE said:

I'm skeptical of any rule change being pushed by Calipari. You think he was concerned about the good of the game or what's best for "the kids"???  When he was pushing this idea in 2016, he was living off the one and dones.  What's a potential threat to one and dones? More experienced players (grad transfers) moving around and making an impact. Notice after fighting it, now Calipari has now dipped into the grad transfer with Travis and now the Bucknell kid. Why would the NCAA listen to this con man who has a history of breaking their rules?

Anyway, the one bit of the grad transfer rule that I have always found odd, was allowing kids that have already transferred once to go to a third school so easily. I understand that they are sitting out one year when they transfer the first time, but it really enables a lot of kids to transfer a third time by more easily getting their degree in four years. It's almost incentivizes players to transfer the first time. It turned out benefiting us with TI, but could have in theory really hurt us with Bess, Don't know if he got his degree in four years, but he was in school that long. It kinda sucks for the school that invests in a kid when they are sitting out a year, only to increase the chances of that kid leaving after their redshirt junior season.

The first kid I remember doing the three school grad transfer route was a tool who SLU recruited at one time - Jeff Peterson. Started at Iowa, went to Arkansas and ended at Florida State. It was almost unheard of when it happened, but now it is fairly common to have a player go to three schools.

The inconsistency I don't like is allowing a possibly scholastically driven three year college graduate to play immediately in his fourth year, but not allowing the same for a fourth year player who has not earned his diploma.  What were the majors of the two?  Did the first three year player skate on a PE degree while the second go into a much more difficult field?  

Yeah, I agree.  A player going to three schools likely isn't all that interested in academics.  

-if the NCAA wasn't so corrupt or inept or both I would be in favor of much more academic integrity in college athletics being in place, but the NCAA has shown an inability or unwillingness to seriously deal with issues where academic integrity is upended that whatever they do is likely viewed by me as a joke - see UNC

-if I were king, the one and done player is fine if that is what they want to do, but they need to have successfully completed at least some number (24 hours?) of legitimate college courses when they walk off of campus -- if they don't that schollie is lost for at least the next season and I could probably be convinced that it is a two year loss -- I'm not saying get a degree in one year, I am saying complete some number of legitimate college courses during the time they are on campus

-for grad transfers, I don't know if 15 months is enough time (figuring on the semester calendar they arrive end of May/beginning of June for summer classes, fall semester starts in August, winter semester in January then they would have that next summer to finish) because I don't know if all necessary classes to complete the program would be offered during the summer sessions but I think there needs to be some impetus to finish the program especially if what someone said only 35% or whatever actually complete the deal

rgbilliken and billiken_roy like this

9 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

KU CJ Lawson to transfer immediately eligible.   RS Soph G\F

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-kansas/article228855689.html

KJ Lawson? Man, what a solid pick up that would be.

1 hour ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Yeah you're right.  After careful consideration, LJ is now a distant third on my list behind BJ and HJ.

Moy has some HJ PTSD.  Dude had to learn to manscape the hardway.

PS shout out to GloyDaze mom!

Littlebill likes this

On 4/5/2019 at 8:41 PM, Franchise_08 said:

Didn’t he verbal with NC State before deciding on Nebraska?

23 hours ago, moytoy12 said:

Was thinking the exact same thing

Yep.

Ouch, this hurts for the dukes. 

"Duquesne wing Eric Williams has entered his name into the transfer portal, a source tells @Rivals. Sit one, play two. Averaged over 14 points and seven rebounds last season"

4 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Ouch, this hurts for the dukes. 

"Duquesne wing Eric Williams has entered his name into the transfer portal, a source tells @Rivals. Sit one, play two. Averaged over 14 points and seven rebounds last season"

Wow, that's a huge loss for a program that seemed to be on the upswing.