Grad Transfers - 2019

ACE

3 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

I would be interested in hearing how Coach Ford and his staff approach this Transfer Portal issue.  There are large numbers of players entering the Portal daily.  How do they evaluate them?  You can't evaluate them all adequately, so how do they pick and choose.  I would think that they don't have much tape or in depth information on many of them.  You have to act fast, as the 'vultures' desend quickly.  There might be some form of grapevine out there where a contact - AAU coach- puts out feelers early on. Don't know, but this relatively new phenomena has changed the recruiting landscape.  You WANT to have an open schollie or two in hand to pick up a decent player.

Then add on the high school players whose coach leaves where they have committed, and they open up their recruitment.  The NCAA doesn't appear to want to stop anyone from moving on.

I'm sure there are services out there that a lot of schools subscribe to. L

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Missouri State landed 6-8 grad transfer Lamont West from West Virginia. Not sure how they pulled it off, but that appears to be a really nice addition.

With Texas Tech starting two grad transfers in the Final Four, I expect some programs that may have been hesitant to add them in the past, will be more open to it now.

2 minutes ago, ACE said:

Missouri State landed 6-8 grad transfer Lamont West from West Virginia. Not sure how they pulled it off, but that appears to be a really nice addition.

With Texas Tech starting two grad transfers in the Final Four, I expect some programs that may have been hesitant to add them in the past, will be more open to it now.

I saw that and it made me scratch my head. Isn't this the WVA GT that averaged double figures and was decent from beyond the arc? Is Mo State a serious contender in the Valley? I was under the belief most of these GT's were looking to programs that might give them a shot at a final hurrah in the Dance.

It would be nice to know who we have interest in and who might be reciprocating. These GT stories seem to pop up out of the blue. It's not like we see who's interested in who like the prep recruiting sites. The only thing I've found on the status of GT's is a list of players that have declared they're taking that route. In Travis and staff I trust, I'm sure they're chasing down every realistic possibility.  

17 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I saw that and it made me scratch my head. Isn't this the WVA GT that averaged double figures and was decent from beyond the arc? Is Mo State a serious contender in the Valley? I was under the belief most of these GT's were looking to programs that might give them a shot at a final hurrah in the Dance.

It would be nice to know who we have interest in and who might be reciprocating. These GT stories seem to pop up out of the blue. It's not like we see who's interested in who like the prep recruiting sites. The only thing I've found on the status of GT's is a list of players that have declared they're taking that route. In Travis and staff I trust, I'm sure they're chasing down every realistic possibility.  

maybe they got a drury inn to transfer

11 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I think the guy down at MSU has a few transfers coming in. My friends who are alumni don't think he'll be at MSU long

42 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Yes. They've got the best big in the conference, they return everybody and they've got a incoming class on par with ours even without West.  

1 hour ago, ACE said:

Image result for what the fuck gif

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

You're right:

24.9 minutes during 36 games in 2018-19;   

22.0  minutes during 36 games  in 2017-18

11.9 minutes during 37 games in 2016--17

Only explanation is that he confused Mi$$ouri with Missouri State.   Probably easy to do.  Wonder what he will say when he goes to open the bags of money he think is from Cuonzo Martin and finds they are filled with Drury Dollars. 

almaman likes this

If MO State is selling that he's going to be a starter on a team that could contend for the Valley, and Ford is selling that he's going to be a backup, as most on this board are advocating for so as not to hinder development of younger guys, that may play into a kids decision.

Can we aggregate the list of potential GT bigs here? If we're just throwing darts at names, let's get organized. I'm just looking for guys who meet the criteria of being immediately eligible and frontcourt players, who have not already narrowed their lists and don't have any other issues that would prevent them from being pursued (e.g. A10 players, academic issues, etc.).

All names below have 1 year of eligibility remaining unless otherwise specified.

Barret Benson - 6-10, 240 - Northwestern - 9.5 MPG, 2.2 PPG, 3.0 RPG - Has played three years at NW but minutes and production have been pretty level all along. Plays with a lot of energy but is foul prone. Collins is said to be surprised by his departure, the third so far for NW this season. Chicago-area native.

Joey Brunk - 6-11, 230 - Butler - 18.6 MPG, 7.6 PPG, 3.6 RPG - Will have two years of eligibility remaining. Efficient scorer (.617 FG%, .648 FT%) who made a nice step up this season. Visiting Indiana, and Ole Miss is involved, with plenty of others interested.

Danny Dixon - 6-10, 230 - UMKC - 19.7 MPG, 7.5 PPG, 3.6 RPG - Played two seasons at George Mason and one at UMKC. Didn't do much at Mason.

Aleksandar Dozic - 6-9, 210 - Marist - 16.7 MPG, 7.0 PPG, 3.5 RPG - Regressed as a junior under a new coach.

Brady Ernst - 6-10, 230 - FGCU - 16.7 MPG, 4.3 PPG, 4.1 RPG - Began at Iowa State but battled injuries and didn't play much, then went to Indian Hills CC, then committed to and decommitted from Xavier briefly in 2017 before ending up at FGCU for two seasons.

Vincent Eze - 6-8, 218 - Maine - 19.9 MPG, 6.8 PPG, 4.2 RPG - Redshirted 2015-2016, then missed 2017-2018 with a hip injury. From Nigeria, went to Putnam Science Academy for prep school.

Aaron Falzon - 6-8, 215 - Northwestern - 15.5 MPG, 3.9 PPG, 1.6 RPG - Has struggled with inconsistency and nagging injuries. He's from MA and may end up closer to home. He visited Siena and will visit Quinnipiac and Vermont, and has been talking to UC-Santa Barbara.

Matt Freeman - 6-10, 229 - Oklahoma - 11.1 MPG, 3.2 PPG, 1.5 RPG - New Zealand native. Has played three seasons at Oklahoma without putting up big numbers in 9 to 11 MPG.

Jalone Friday - 6-9, 250 - Abilene Christian - 21.9 MPG, 13.1 PPG, 4.7 RPG - Dismissed from ACU in February for violating university policy. Averaged over 13 PPG in all three seasons there. Can step out and shoot the 3.

Daniel Giddens - 6-11, 235 - Alabama - 8.2 MPG, 1.9 PPG, 1.9 RPG - Played one season at Alabama after leaving Ohio State, and there is apparently mutual interest for a possible return to Ohio State. Was a disappointment at Alabama and played sparingly, getting into foul trouble frequently.

Romani Hansen - 6-9, 205 - Savannah State - 23.0 MPG, 9.5 PPG, 5.5 RPG - Played two juco seasons and then his junior year at SSU. Long, slender, athletic inside-out player.

Dajion Henderson - 6-7, 275 - Tennessee State - 11.6 MPG, 3.7 PPG, 2.9 RPG - Played two juco seasons and then his junior year at TSU. Massive but mobile and energetic.

Jaylen Key - 6-8, 230 - Northern Illinois - 12.5 MPG, 3.6 PPG, 1.9 RPG - Sat out 2017-2018 after shoulder surgery and spent this season trying to regain 2016-2017 sophomore season form (8.0 PPG, 4.3 RPG).

Sylvester Ogbonda - 6-10, 237 - Georgia Tech - 6.7 MPG, 1.8 PPG, 1.7 RPG - Played behind Ben Lammers and Abdoulaye Gueye in his first two seasons, and then behind Gueye and James Banks this season. He played bigger minutes before Banks' waiver cleared, and then he was out of the rotation. From Nigeria.

Dominik Olejniczak - 7-0, 260 - Ole Miss - 18.3 MPG, 5.3 PPG, 3.0 RPG - Showed pretty consistent production for three seasons, but playing time waned down the stretch this season. Davis seemed to make it clear that he wasn't the top priority his senior year. Led Ole Miss in blocks. From Poland.

Emmanuel Olojakpoke - 6-8, 190 - Akron - 10.5 MPG, 1.6 PPG, 1.7 RPG - Played a full season in 2018-2019 but averages dropped significantly from the previous year, when he played just 15 games. Xavier has reportedly reached out.

Jeff Pollard - 6-9, 240 - Washington State - 18.1 MPG, 4.8 PPG, 2.6 RPG - Efficient big man (.591 FG%, .781 FT%) who did a lot of the dirty work for WSU.

Matt Ryan - 6-8, 209 - Vanderbilt - 24.9 MPG, 8.1 PPG, 2.7 RPG - Played two seasons at ND before transferring to Vandy, where he played one season. Has not ruled out returning to Vandy.

Nate Sestina - 6-9, 245 - Bucknell - 27.7 MPG, 15.8 PPG, 8.5 RPG - Visiting Kentucky and could make a decision shortly after; UK appears to be the leader. Pitt, others also interested.

Derrik Smits - 7-2, 240 - Valparaiso - 21.8 MPG, 12.2 PPG, 5.7 RPG - Son of Indiana Pacers legend Rik Smits. Has visited Grand Canyon. Arizona, Ball State, Boise State, Cal, GT, Indiana State, Miami-Ohio, Charlotte, Oklahoma, and Oregon State have reached out.

Keith Stone - 6-8, 240 - Florida - 19.2 MPG, 6.1 PPG, 3.9 RPG - Tore his ACL in January, but his numbers were down from his sophomore year prior to the injury.

Patrick Szpir - 6-9, 230 - Chicago State - 18.5 MPG, 2.9 PPG, 2.6 RPG - Chicago-area kid who has never put up numbers for CSU.

Yanni Wetzell - 6-10, 240 - Vanderbilt - 18.5 MPG, 5.9 PPG, 3.8 RPG - Played one season at Vandy after transferring from St. Mary's (D-II) in Texas. He sat out 2017-2018. From New Zealand.

Javan White - 6-10, 227 - Clemson - 8.4 MPG, 2.0 PPG, 2.0 RPG - Averaged 27.5 MPG, 10.2 PPG, and 9.0 RPG in 2017-2018 at Oral Roberts before struggling to find minutes at Clemson. Richmond is interested.

Zink likes this

5 hours ago, ACE said:

Interesting.  They are definitely making moves.  They have a 6'8 juco post player coming in as well.  Gaige Prim...he's a nice player

16 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

The goal is to list every available grad transfer and say he'd be a good fit so then if he signs with us and has some big games, we can all say that we called it

xByII.jpg

slufan13 likes this

21 minutes ago, BillIkenFan_Dan said:

Have we made any offers to a grad transfer yet. 

Not publicly, but that's not really how it works with transfers. At best, when you're searching a given transfer's name, you might see that certain schools have reached out, that he's visiting a list of schools, or something along those lines. There's occasionally a list of finalists that gets publicized, but usually not. It's totally different from HS recruiting because it's such a compressed timeline and the process is so different. Schools are looking to fill shorter-term needs on short notice, sometimes for just a single season (GTs).

It's virtually impossible to come up with a list of transfers that SLU might be interested in. You'd basically have to be one of the coaches or someone extremely tight with the staff.

We know SLU wants at least one GT big. That's about all we're certain of with the last three scholarships, although Ford has indicated the focus will be on bigs generally.

23 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Not publicly, but that's not really how it works with transfers. At best, when you're searching a given transfer's name, you might see that certain schools have reached out, that he's visiting a list of schools, or something along those lines. There's occasionally a list of finalists that gets publicized, but usually not. It's totally different from HS recruiting because it's such a compressed timeline and the process is so different. Schools are looking to fill shorter-term needs on short notice, sometimes for just a single season (GTs).

It's virtually impossible to come up with a list of transfers that SLU might be interested in. You'd basically have to be one of the coaches or someone extremely tight with the staff.

We know SLU wants at least one GT big. That's about all we're certain of with the last three scholarships, although Ford has indicated the focus will be on bigs generally.

I counted 30 PF or C immediately eligible on Verbal commits.  Looks like you have most of them, and/or the list expands daily.

-on June 14, 2018 SLU announced the addition of Hankton, Isabell and Wiley

-on June 10, 2016 SLU announced Javon Bess added to the squad

-I could not easily find when DJF, Santos or Anthony was announced, I get Bess was not a GT, but just posting for any reference it may provide

2 hours ago, Cowboy said:

-on June 14, 2018 SLU announced the addition of Hankton, Isabell and Wiley

-on June 10, 2016 SLU announced Javon Bess added to the squad

-I could not easily find when DJF, Santos or Anthony was announced, I get Bess was not a GT, but just posting for any reference it may provide

Wow, knew Hankton was late add but didn’t realize the grad transfers were that late. Good to know.

@ACE - Do you know anything about T.J. Holyfield (Stephen F. Austin, 6-8, 230) or Deng Geu (NDSU, 6-8, 215)? Both seem intriguing. Holyfield might head to Illinois to be reunited with Underwood but I'm also seeing Miami and St. John's mentioned. Can't find anything on possible destinations for Geu.